Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,911 times

Advertisements

Could y'all point me in a general direction? I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the unfamiliar cities in California (I'm an East Coast gal) and just need a little help narrowing my research down a bit.

My husband and I have 2 kids, whom we home educate. He has worked in mostly construction (particularly Corian fabrication) as well as manual labor (warehouse), management (retail), and sales (mortgages). My degree is in interior design and my experience is mainly with kitchen and custom cabinetry design. Since we've been homeschooling, though, I've been providing childcare in my home.

We'd like an area that's not too city... more suburbs or even borderline rural, if there's a city within 50 miles or so. I want beach, but hubby says forest, lol. What we agree on is SUN and WARMTH.

We're struggling as it is here in central VA, so less expensive towns are best for us. What we'd really like is a lively, involved community.

Any suggestions where I should look?

Thanks~
Adesa in Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 02:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Do you have any indications that you can get a job(s)?
What is your housing budget?
Where are your folks located?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:40 PM

We're just starting this process, so we have very little already decided. We don't have jobs lined up yet, so unemployment rates will matter a bit (though our experience is all in jobs that can be found pretty much anywhere). My parents are in Pennsylvania, and we don't know anyone in California (unless you count online friends ). This will probably be mostly on our own (though we're trying to talk some friends into moving with us). We're feeling adventurous and flexible; we just want to find a great community. We currently pay $825 in rent and could go as high as $1000 for a 2-3 bedroom place. We've got 2 dogs, though, so we're hoping to find somewhere with a yard for them (oh yeah, and the kids).

Adesa

Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboys View Post
We don't have jobs lined up yet

could go as high as $1000 for a 2-3 bedroom place.

We've got 2 dogs
Rent is proportional to job prospects.

$1000 for 2-3 bedrooms probably means either no jobs or someplace where the schools aren't too hot (and/or the weather is). Beautiful downtown Daggett?

Dogs. Four legged housing limiters.

See for yourself

HousingMaps

If I were you (and I am, actually), I'd look for places with good schools and jobs that aren't as expensive.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,732,275 times
Quote:
We currently pay $825 in rent and could go as high as $1000 for a 2-3 bedroom place. We've got 2 dogs, though, so we're hoping to find somewhere with a yard for them (oh yeah, and the kids).
$1000 won't get you much of anything. A decent 1 bedroom apt, near any of the big coastal cities, goes for about $1500 and that's without a yard. You could probably do a little better inland such as Fresno or Bakersfield (about a 2 hour drive to either the beach or the mountains).

Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks for that housing map link -- very helpful.

We're actually not looking for a coastal town (necessarily), so I'm thinking we'll be able to find what we're looking for inland a bit. I found quite a few towns that had lots of houses in our price range, but my dilemma is that I don't know anything about their personalities. Any towns that stand out to you?

Adesa

Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Any towns that stand out to you?
This is the kind of question that results in posters spray painting responses all over the place OR, telling you what you want to hear. Neither will do you any good.

You need to do a lot of up front research, work the internet, and come up with some candidate neighborhoods based on your specific criteria, for the forum to work with.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times
Quote:
We're just starting this process, so we have very little already decided. We don't have jobs lined up yet, so unemployment rates will matter a bit (though our experience is all in jobs that can be found pretty much anywhere). My parents are in Pennsylvania, and we don't know anyone in California (unless you count online friends ). This will probably be mostly on our own (though we're trying to talk some friends into moving with us). We're feeling adventurous and flexible; we just want to find a great community. We currently pay $825 in rent and could go as high as $1000 for a 2-3 bedroom place. We've got 2 dogs, though, so we're hoping to find somewhere with a yard for them (oh yeah, and the kids).

Adesa
Hi Adesa,

That is a tall order in CA for that budget. You will have to compromise on this wish list and prioritize things.

Prices will be your biggest deterant. Finding a 2-3 bedroom place which accepts dogs is a challenge, especially in a nice area, near all the things you menitoned. But then when you say as high as $1000 that is really hard to imagine with the cost of housing.

Anywhere close to the major cities: LA, OC, SD, SF and Sac will definately be more expensive. More like double+ that budget. But if you go more rural Cal. you may find something. Ca is pretty expensive compared to the rest of the US. More affordable, good job opportunities, nice area for families, good schools, near the coast, warm and sunny weather don't normally go together. This is something most ppl moving to CA want. Thus prices/rents go up higher than you might expect.

**Edit: I notice you responded to Charles while I was writing. If you don't need to be near the coast you can save some money. A nice safe area with good schools will be the challenge to find in that range. Fortunately you homeschool. So a good school district isn't mandatory. Hmmm.... Maybe somewhere in the Sierra Foothills or in the more rural northern part of the state.

On the other hand whether you use the public school system or not there is normally a direct correlation between nice areas for families and good schools (lower crime, walkability, jobs, etc...). So take a look here to see areas which may be more family/kid friendly: School Performance. Zoom in to see various areas.

There are some good homeschool support groups out here. My wife and I actually homeschool our three children out here as well as in CO while living there.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-08-2009 at 06:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 12:04 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,632,462 times
Quote:
,,,My husband and I have 2 kids, whom we home educate. ,,,,,,, Since we've been homeschooling, though, I've been providing childcare in my home.,,,,,
I am positive I heard that parents that home school in CA have to have teaching credentials, it is a fairly recent bill.
You will have to be licensed for day care as well in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California