Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,918 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I need help! So I think I've read just about every thread on Stockton here and I'm still stumped. I am looking to go to Pacific for my MBA; I've heard great things about the school but nightmarish things about the city. I don't mind commenting to school if it means we live in a safe neighborhood. My fiancée’s job is a home health PT, which means she travels to homes for physical therapy. I personally could live almost any where that is mild safe but my major concern is her. I need to found a general area that is safe (outside of Stockton) to live and travel around the community, where she won't have to worry about getting hurt. So far I've read about Galt, Lodi, Discovery Bay, Brentwood, & Tracey but everyone seems to have a knock on each for their high crime rate. Lodi seems the best close option, north of Stockton, which (from what I read) is the best part of the town. Anyone have some helpful input for me. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,698 times
I am no expert on that area, but I think of Lodi as a nice area. I think of it as more rural.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,852 times
I lived in Stockton for almost two years (left in 2001) and I actually liked it UoP is nice, and you can find a good area within an easy commute. Lodi is more rural and green and smaller than Stockton. IMO, Lodi is nicer overall than Galt.

Like anywhere else, Stockton and Lodi have good and bad parts. I never felt unsafe in either place (lived in Stockton and worked in Lodi). If it helps, Lincoln Unified is considered the desireable school district, so you might want to look for a place to live that is within their boundaries, as in general, those areas are "better".

North Stockton and Northwest Stockton are decent areas, last I checked

Also, the commute from Stockton to Sacramento isn't bad at all, so if your fiancee wants, she can work up there....or live in Lodi which is even closer!

HTH,
Kristi

Old 08-02-2007, 01:32 AM

2 posts, read 12,794 times
Default Uop

Hello,

Stockton is not really a safe city to live in but gated upstairs apartments and homes are safer in better areas. I think the Pavilions & Waterfield Square Apartments are pretty safe, they are close to I-5 & you could take I-5 to Alpine to get to UOP.

Stay far far away from South Stockton!

Stay far away from downtown at night!

West Lodi is a pretty safe area but if you are not white you might have problems with Lodi residents because most of them are racist. On & near Mills Avenue in Lodi is pretty safe but if you are not white you might have a lot problems there.

I hope this helps I have lived in both Stockton & Lodi.

Last edited by Kelly30; 08-02-2007 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: Forgot a letter!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:59 PM

11 posts, read 52,416 times
Have you relocated yet? I have lived here since 1985 and I have a lot to say about Stockton. Please let me know if you are here already.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,493 times
Default Looking for nice place to live

I live in Valley Springs and work in Stockton. It takes 35 minutes no matter how slow or fast you drive. (Except in the fog, which we won't even go there). My son goes to the high school in San Andreas-rides the bus. I go shopping twice a month in Modesto. Valley Springs is centrally located for me-Modesto/Jackson/Stockton/Lodi all withing 35-45 minutes. I love the laid back atmosphere. People in the stores actually take you to whatever you're looking for. You get to know the same cashiers (though the grocery store does lack in some areas-reason for shopping in Modesto). We leave our garage door open all day on weekends. People wave, stop and ask directions, the neighbors are friendly and there are mega deals on homes right now. Which won't last as so many people want to move out of Stockton when the home prices firm up and move up here. I'd recommend Valley Springs to anyone. It's nice and quiet and the shooting stars are awesome. I have deer that eat my roses (grrrrr!) and wild turkeys in my front yard, screech owls at night and soaring hawks and buzzards during the day. The hiking at Lake Hogan is great-nice trails. I just can't say enough.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
You might also look at the town of Linden between Valley Springs and Stockton.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 PM

12 posts, read 51,818 times
I grew up in Lodi and Stockton, just moved from that area. I'm female, so some suggestions about safe places are (ie ones I feel comfortable walking around by myself at night):
-Do not live in south stockton.
-The areas around UOP, Lincoln Village, newer developments around north Stockton towards I-5 and 8 mile road are safe.
-Most of Lodi is fine...the few sketchy blocks are East Locust and east of Cherokee Lane.
-Woodbridge is a small town that sits on the northwest corner of Lodi, where Lower Sacramento Road runs north (you can actually take this road to Galt). New houses have sprung up in the last 10 years. Nice small town country feel, but with neighbors and close to things to do.
-Above mentioned smaller towns like Linden, Valley Springs are good. There are also new houses being built in Rio Vista, a smaller town in the delta (on highway 12, about 25 min NW of Lodi, same distance to I-5 on 12).

Some other thoughts:
-Galt and Tracy have newer houses, I havn't been to those towns enough to comment on them.
-Look at smaller towns south of Stockton on 99 also, like Ripon.
-Elk Grove is 30 min north of Stockton on I-5 and 99 in Sacramento county...in the last few years a crazy amount of houses have gone up. Advantage of being 30 min from Sacramento, and the town is half the size of Stockton.
-Visit the police log section of the major county papers:
Lodinews.com - Lodi, California, News, Sports, Entertainment, Business
Recordnet.com Frontpage | San Joaquin County News, Jobs, Cars, Real Estate and more
Tracy Press
RiponRecordNews.com I Ripon News, Classifieds and More
- California MapStats from FedStats pick the county, or a city to see general statistics
Moderator cut: link removed has a lot of links relating to data on San Joaquin county and its cities

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 03:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California