Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,852,001 times

Advertisements

The bigger cities in CA always have had more job opportunity than here in the Valley, I think the tough economic times just make it even worse.

I don't have enough experience to be attractive to recruiters, I've had some that I've dealt with but have actually gotten more interviews on my own. I have one year of Big 4 experience in the Bay, but the client base is a lot different here and I keep getting told that the stuff I did before doesn't have much relevance. You really need three to five years of experience.

A lot of firms here have merged and have cut staff as a result. Lots of unemployed accountants here with more experience with the local client base, so that is who I am probably losing out to.

Kind of stuck for the next few years, since my wife has a pretty good job. We tried the whole long distance thing for work purposes a while back and it didn't go well, so I'm just going to try to make something happen here or else just work temp or contract until we finally are in a position to move elsewhere in two or three years. My career will probably always kind of be messed up by it, but I'm certainly not the only one these days. Still a lot luckier than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,816 times
Was reading this thread today and wanted to add that I am stuck living in Merced because of an underwater home loan and although I admit that all places have good and bad aspects, the best thing to do if you're driving through the Central Valley is to keep driving. If you're white around here you need to be a low-achieving or no-achieving redneck to fit in, and if you're white around here you're screwed anyway because you're not Hispanic like the majority. I'm from a metropolitan area with much more to offer, so I have something to compare Merced to, and that's too bad because you realize that you've failed by ending up in Merced. Merced could be something because it has a community college and a university (why we moved there), but it can't even get being a college town right and the place perpetually looks like it's going to the dogs. I'm embarrassed to show people the downtown, even. Keep driving, people, keep driving.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM

528 posts, read 868,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2tracy View Post
=========================================

Born and raised in San Jose, have lived in Fresno and worked for Fresno PD. They are a fine Department and I guarantee in Fresno you will not get slammed onto the concrete for no reason as you will in those big-belly sheriff towns in the south. We now have the best of both worlds, work in San Jose and have the higher salary and future pension that will come with that, live in Tracy in a nicer home than we could ever afford in San Jose... commute isn't bad if you don't bolt out the door at 5pm, take your time, catch up at the office, get a bite to eat, shop and errands, then take off for 680/580 and home in less than an hour. I miss alot about Fresno - especially our friends. Fresno is a great town to live in and work for local government. Just the salary wasn't as high and we wanted to ramp up our Calpers before retiring. I've often heard people call Fresno the "armpit" of California and they are wrong. Fresno has a lot of good to offer. If you are racist, especially against blacks, then you won't like Fresno. Better off moving to the south if you are racist and completely out of California.
You make no sense at all. CA is one of the most racist states in this nation. Some parts especially the Central Valley can compete with Mississippi. I hate to tell you but its true. And theres more liberal Southerners than you'd ever think. CA is more red than you think pal or its annoyingly moderate.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 PM

528 posts, read 868,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verytallgiraffe View Post
Was reading this thread today and wanted to add that I am stuck living in Merced because of an underwater home loan and although I admit that all places have good and bad aspects, the best thing to do if you're driving through the Central Valley is to keep driving. If you're white around here you need to be a low-achieving or no-achieving redneck to fit in, and if you're white around here you're screwed anyway because you're not Hispanic like the majority. I'm from a metropolitan area with much more to offer, so I have something to compare Merced to, and that's too bad because you realize that you've failed by ending up in Merced. Merced could be something because it has a community college and a university (why we moved there), but it can't even get being a college town right and the place perpetually looks like it's going to the dogs. I'm embarrassed to show people the downtown, even. Keep driving, people, keep driving.
I am convinced north toward Reno is the same way. Ever been to towns like Marysville? Grass Valley? possibly some others like Oroville hell, even Auburn!

It seems like the only way to fit in is if you're a white redneck. You're screwed if you're someone like me whos white from another place with an Italian last name. People know I am different from them, more ethnic looking for someone white or European yet for the life of me couldn't fit with the segregated mexicans here either. I am convinced underhanded racism exists in the area no question and there is like next to no diversity. I am here because my mom and stepdad moved here, but I am out first chance I get. So yes while this is primarily about the Central Valley south of Sacramento, I am convinced more north in the central region of CA has these same problems too.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,048,270 times
Out of curiosity, GoldCountry80, what prompted you to post on a thread that had ONE post on it in 4 years (besides yours, of course)???

Old 07-25-2014, 03:16 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,736,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
You make no sense at all. CA is one of the most racist states in this nation. Some parts especially the Central Valley can compete with Mississippi. I hate to tell you but its true. And theres more liberal Southerners than you'd ever think. CA is more red than you think pal or its annoyingly moderate.

This not true. You are sadly misinformed about this state. It has some of the best mix of ethnicities and cultures, in the country. I happen to like the differences in people. If everyone was the same, it would be boring.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,574,486 times
I love it too. Friendliest people I've ever been around. I will be sad if and when I leave. You just don't find cities of almost a half a mil where you can talk to random strangers, like Sac. I love my 1 hr drive just outside Sac to Tahoe. Love that I will drive to the coast in 3 hrs tomorrow. Love all the trees in Sac and the big victorian homes and the buzzing coffee shops. The music, the art. The hiking. All of it.

The CV gets a bad knock. I admit, I bashed it pretty hard when I lived in the bay. Now when I go back to visit, I look at the rooms going for $1,900/mo, all of the people cutting me off on the freeway, the pressure to drive a nice car and waste away in a cube in an "upwardly mobile" career and experience the lack of eye contact and common decency in many public places and wonder, what the hell did I like about the bay.

Lol then I see the ocean and say, "oh ya, that's right".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California