Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,580,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
With the state of the economy the way it is with high unemployment everywhere, Does anyone regret moving from the East Coast to the West Coast. I personally would love to live somewhere on the west coast... I hear the vibe is just totally different. (Laid back). I am a born and bred east coaster looking to make a move in the latter of part of 2010. Just curious..would you ever move back to the East coast.?
I love both coasts (well, parts of both coasts), so, yeah, I would move back, but I have no inclination to do so right now. I will say, however, that San Diego has a habit of luring out East Coasters and Midwesterners after college who live it up in their 20s but ultimately wander back to their home states by their late 20s/early 30s. In some cases this is to start families (and to have babysitters they can trust! ) or to help with aging parents - - for some, they become partied out (at least that's the case with PB/MB/OB in San Diego). It's almost become a rite of passage it seems. Out of my set of friends, we have a few East Coasters who are going to stay for the forseeable future (from VA, PA, DE, MA), but we've also lost as many who went back to DE, VA, and some midwestern states. I don't think any of them regreted moving out - - but that point of their lives was ending. None of our group ever turned around and moved back in a year or two - - they all stayed for a good 7 or 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,494,320 times
The "Laid Back" thing I always just consider to be how in California you can be your own person. If your a little strange, your normal. If you dress outside of Wranglers and a flannel, your not starred at (like in the midwest). I think it's more of a personal freedom thing and it gets titled as laid back. And while I'm considered midwest, not east coast, yes I do regret every second of every day for having to come back to the abyss after living in CA.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,285,451 times
I lived in both regions, I'd take california.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,538,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
It's not that California is laid back. It's that people aren't as uptight in that urban east coast "it's my right to be a dick" kind of way.
+100000000

A few examples:

1) Traffic, East Coasters have this thing where they will see a car trying to merge and instead of allowing the car in, they speed up and hug the bumper of the car in front of them, to block the merge. Just doesn't happen out here.

2) There are things like just randomly arguing with someone behind the counter of a deli, to the point where someone spits out something vulgar.

3) On the East Coast, guys who don't know each other, think it is gay to say hello to each other or even a simple "what's up man?". (Probably why NYrs think guys from California are all gay lol)...

4) If you are waiting for a bus in Manhattan or Miami, there might be a line of passengers at the stop and people off to the side. When the bus arrives the people off to the side RUSH in to cut in line and get on the bus.

5) Oh and back to traffic, I couldn't count how many times I have been flicked off, yelled at, high beams flashed or honked at for doing nothing.

This kind of stuff, along with initial rudeness is what some people call "the East Coast attitude". Which is basically trying hard as possible to be impolite.

Things like this, just don't happen out here. So this guy who spent 2/3 of my life in Miami, Orlando, D.C. and NYC, thinks California is VERY "LAID BACK".

Last edited by Mach50; 07-07-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,999,442 times
If only, if only the West Coast had the east Coast's rugged coastline!!!! The WC is essentially one straight line running for over 2,000 miles from the Olympic peninsula all the way down to Cabo San Lucas in Baja. There a few tiny exceptions like San Diego Harbor, Newport and of course San Francisco. But then Frisco lies on one of the most dangerous fault zones in the world. At least with a hurricane you have warning. In Frisco, particularly, but most all of Cali in general, a devastating 9. can strike without warning killing thousands and leveling an entire county. I digress. The rugged coast of the eastern seaboard has always fascinated me, with Chesapeake, the Outer Banks of NC, the intracoastal waterway, to name a few--a boater's paradise!!! too bad the sh*t muggy summer weather ruins it all.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,466,631 times
California urbanites hide being dog eat dog *******s better than East Coast urbanites do, full stop. The California urbanite is just as much of a ******* as the East Coast version.

BTW - for retirement, my wife and I are actually looking at the East Coast (well, the southern part, Virginia) as a possibility. I am a native Californian. Yes, I am THAT pessimistic about the long term situation here.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,086,798 times
Mach50, have you driven in LA? LA drivers aren't very nice and don't always don't let you in when changing lanes, they often flick you off and curse, there is a lot of road range in LA.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,538,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Mach50, have you driven in LA? LA drivers aren't very nice and don't always don't let you in when changing lanes, they often flick you off and curse, there is a lot of road range in LA.
Many many times, and L.A. is tame compared to Miami, Atlanta, D.C...etc.
You are guaranteed to be blocked, honked, or yelled at while in East Coast traffic...L.A. is just a parking lot.

But it is not just traffic, East Coasters really do have the tough demeanor and in urban cities even as small as Orlando the differences in politeness compared to West Coasters is obvious.

Sometimes I miss that toughness, but the impoliteness I do not miss at all.

Last edited by Mach50; 07-07-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 PM

150 posts, read 468,600 times
Atlanta certainly has the worst traffic of anywhere I've driven. I lived near there and you could be doing 90 mph on 285 and still have people flying around you and honking while talking on the mobile and flipping you off. That was practically every single day there.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,546,791 times
I just got back from visiting family in NYC suburbs (Long Island)

I can tell you that California's economy is visibly much, much worse than the NYC area right now. You do not see the decay, foreclosures, or vacant businesses in NY that are all over CA right now.

I spoke to two couples on the flight back to San Diego who said they are looking to move back to LI from San Diego. I might be considering joining them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California