Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 9,929 times

Advertisements

We are a mixed couple ready to move to the California Coast. We both own our own our own arts-based business. We are looking to buy a home or property.
Our top priority is to move to a tolerant, racially integrated location.
Any suggestions on where we should look, both in actual geographic terms as well as resource materials that might shed light into the matter.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 05:31 PM

491 posts, read 2,293,296 times
Can you be more specific? Which coast? Retirement? Budget?

Most Cali towns are "integrated". It's not like the east coast where you have cities that are literally divided into black and white. There are blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, Euro immigrants, all kinds of people.

Coastal in general is more affluent and white.

Let us know what areas/towns you are looking at and we can give you the 411.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:52 PM

325 posts, read 1,475,289 times
A few years ago Sacramento was rated as America's most diverse city. I find it to be fairly true, but don't know how much attraction Sacto has to an artsy couple. There's a definite art scene here, but it's not a large part of the city's character.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,929 times
Thanks for the replies.
We we've visited San Diego and found it beautiful but stuffy. San Francisco was a gorgeous place but I did get the feeling things were very segregated under the surface of a very superficially tolerant place.

We spoke to a friend and they suggested up the coast north of LA and in some of the valleys East. San Joachim and Ynez, although he said the $$ is high.
No retirement not at the top end nor the bottom of the budget --somewhat middle of the road.

We would prefer a very unpretentious place where your neighbors can engage you without obsessing about the fact that indeed we are together as a mixed couple.
I would hope also it may be an educated town and with a focus on the arts and culture.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtibimarce View Post
Thanks for the replies.
We we've visited San Diego and found it beautiful but stuffy. San Francisco was a gorgeous place but I did get the feeling things were very segregated under the surface of a very superficially tolerant place.

We spoke to a friend and they suggested up the coast north of LA and in some of the valleys East. San Joachim and Ynez, although he said the $$ is high.
No retirement not at the top end nor the bottom of the budget --somewhat middle of the road.

We would prefer a very unpretentious place where your neighbors can engage you without obsessing about the fact that indeed we are together as a mixed couple.
I would hope also it may be an educated town and with a focus on the arts and culture.
Davis. West of Sacramento, home of UC-Davis.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,195,460 times
Pasadena, though not on the coast, might be good. There are loads of "arts" in the LA area (you didn't specify what kind of arts) and loads of "mixed couples" (you didn't specify what kind of "mixed"). LA is a very tolerant area. The coast (up to San Luis Obispo) is also good.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 PM

491 posts, read 2,293,296 times
Hmmm. You found San Diego "stuffy"? And even San Francisco gave you bad vibes? I find that strange. Both cities are diverse and beautiful. Neither to be written off so lightly.

What neighborhoods were you visiting? Did you stay at hotels? Why did you feel the way you felt? Do you feel out of place in predominately white areas, even if you haven't been discriminated against?

I am half Asian, and I do admit feeling a bit strange when I first visit an all-white area I don't know, even if noone has discriminated against me. It's just that I've always lived in diverse communities. But I've never felt this strangeness in SD or SF, or indeed anyplace in California.

So can you tell us more?

Old 04-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Hmmm. You found San Diego "stuffy"? And even San Francisco gave you bad vibes? I find that strange. Both cities are diverse and beautiful. Neither to be written off so lightly.

What neighborhoods were you visiting? Did you stay at hotels? Why did you feel the way you felt? Do you feel out of place in predominately white areas, even if you haven't been discriminated against?

I am half Asian, and I do admit feeling a bit strange when I first visit an all-white area I don't know, even if noone has discriminated against me. It's just that I've always lived in diverse communities. But I've never felt this strangeness in SD or SF, or indeed anyplace in California.

So can you tell us more?
I can understand where he's coming from. I never thought SF was "all that" and I moved from the Midwest to live there. IMHO, it's very much a keep up with the Jones kind of place. San Diego has changed a lot over the past few years as a result of the real estate run-up.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 PM

812 posts, read 4,089,889 times
Wow... as a SF native, I never felt that at all. It's true that there is some division, the blacks in Hunter's Point, Mexicans in the Mission, Asians in the Richmond, etc, etc...., and since everything's so dense, a half mile feels like 20... but it never felt far enough apart to feel "segregated" to me. Still my favorite city in the world, even though I'm gone.

As far as the "keep up with the Jonses," I don't really see it personally, but I'm guessing that that perception comes from the intense career-oriented drive there.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
As far as the "keep up with the Jonses," I don't really see it personally, but I'm guessing that that perception comes from the intense career-oriented drive there.
I think there's a big difference between SF natives and those of us who chose to move there as adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California