Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,730 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job offer in Redding. I have read some posts on here about the heat in this area....We are coming from Maui and are growing tired of the hot humid weather. Is Redding's heat similar to Temecula/Riverside area??? And when people say it gets over 100 for weeks on end, is this an exageration?? Please advise Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 04:23 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,085,769 times
Well... you will be in for a surprise coming from Maui to here.. the ocean is 120 miles away.. and the northern coast is cold and unforgiving..

Typically we get hot weather for about 3 months during the summer... late June to September... but we have also seen very hot weather during the winter months.. we can see triple digits for a couple of weeks at a time where it doesn't cool down at all... but usually it goes up and down

We have very very low humidity so a person can acclimate well if they use the water we have around, adjust outside work to before 10am and after 7 pm. hydrate.. and generally think about a less active life outside during the heat of the day... you wont want to be standing in 115 degree sun very long.. bike rides or running will be on the River Trail before sunup and late in the day... even Mt Shasta (14,172 ft) gets hot during the summer

Since Ive lived here I have seen "records" broken consistently... but we also have technology that makes it bearable. California is not laid back like Hawaii at all.. so be prepared for it... actually I find a lot of Californians pretty uptight.. too many people.. too few resources.. too much overcrowding.... to avoid it takes money to insulate your life... absent that one needs to live where other Californians find it less pleasant or that provides ess service.

Redding is a nice blend from my perspective of new and old... but it is vastly changing here and the Redding of even 10 years ago is being replaced with being just another California city...

Be lucky you have a job.. this is a tough market for skilled professionals outside of medical...

notme

Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Well... you will be in for a surprise coming from Maui to here.. the ocean is 120 miles away.. and the northern coast is cold and unforgiving..

Typically we get hot weather for about 3 months during the summer... late June to September... but we have also seen very hot weather during the winter months.. we can see triple digits for a couple of weeks at a time where it doesn't cool down at all... but usually it goes up and down

We have very very low humidity so a person can acclimate well if they use the water we have around, adjust outside work to before 10am and after 7 pm. hydrate.. and generally think about a less active life outside during the heat of the day... you wont want to be standing in 115 degree sun very long.. bike rides or running will be on the River Trail before sunup and late in the day... even Mt Shasta (14,172 ft) gets hot during the summer

Since Ive lived here I have seen "records" broken consistently... but we also have technology that makes it bearable. California is not laid back like Hawaii at all.. so be prepared for it... actually I find a lot of Californians pretty uptight.. too many people.. too few resources.. too much overcrowding.... to avoid it takes money to insulate your life... absent that one needs to live where other Californians find it less pleasant or that provides ess service.

Redding is a nice blend from my perspective of new and old... but it is vastly changing here and the Redding of even 10 years ago is being replaced with being just another California city...

Be lucky you have a job.. this is a tough market for skilled professionals outside of medical...

notme

Thank you for the reply. My wife and I are both native San Diegans having lived in Hawaii for the past 15 years. We know it gets hot in Temecula (inland from San Diego) and also know that it cools down their at night. Does Redding cool off at night or just remain hot all day and night for 3 months? Any other area you know of that might be comparable to the weather in Redding that we might know of....So Cal? -So we can understand better. How about the remaining 9 months of the year? Does it cool down? We envisioned Redding (at least from the pics) to be a "foresty" type area...with cooler temps.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
Typical Weather for Redding, CA - Normal High / Low / Average Temperature for Redding, CA (http://www.accuweather.com/us/ca/redding/96001/forecast-normals.asp?partner=netweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1 &metric=0 - broken link)

Old 06-08-2009, 05:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
I have a potential job offer in Redding. I have read some posts on here about the heat in this area....We are coming from Maui and are growing tired of the hot humid weather. Is Redding's heat similar to Temecula/Riverside area??? And when people say it gets over 100 for weeks on end, is this an exageration?? Please advise Thanks
I would say, most summers, that is an exageration. Yes, it will get above 100 degrees several days in Aug and maybe July, but I don't think weeks on end. I have 2 nephews living in the area and a niece. I would say it is similar to TEmecula area.

Nita

Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM

250 posts, read 737,450 times
I find Redding to be hot all summer long. Hot meaning I count 100f plus as heat. It is a dry heat though as already said and that makes a difference.

It is the top end of the Valley and the cooling Delta Breeze that blows through Sacramento on many evenings cooling everything down does not make it up that far so nights do stay warmer up there. There are many beautiful areas to enjoy and explore around Redding if you enjoy outdoor activities.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,433 times
The problem that I see with Redding is that, unlike places such as Temecula, Tucson or Las Cruces where hot summers are the price you pay for wonderfully balmy sunny winters, the Nov. to March weather in Redding is not that great (cold, cloudy, rainy), though there are nice days in winter from time to time. It is a climate most appreciated in spring and fall.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
Redding is a nice town with farsighted civic leaders (check out the Sundial bridge) , guaranteed economic growth because of its location off I-5 and proximity to Whiskeytown Lake and lots of other beautiful areas. And if the heat gets to you, come over to cool Eureka for a weekend. You can be here in 2 1/2 hours. (Please spend some money- we need it!). Seriously, I know Maui gets in your blood but Redding is great and you'll have some money left at the end of the month. Good luck with your move..

Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,085,769 times
Any other area you know of that might be comparable to the weather in Redding that we might know of....So Cal? -So we can understand better. How about the remaining 9 months of the year? Does it cool down? We envisioned Redding (at least from the pics) to be a "foresty" type area...with cooler temps.[/quote]

We dont have the So Cal coastal influence here.. we are at the end of the valley just below the change from dry grasslands to forest. If you live 30 minutes or more East, West, or North you will experience different cooler temps, such as Shingletown, French Gulch, or Lakehead. Even a couple of degrees in the summer makes a difference. There are periods where it does not cool down during the summer.. and it will be 90 at night,, going over 100 again during the day.. I guess if I prepare you by telling you that it is hot here you wont be shocked when you come and experience it. My first year coming from So Cal had me inside during the first summer until I figured out how to acclimate. Actually anything up to about 105 is bearable here.. after that it is just pain.. opps Freudian slip.. I meant plain hot no matter where you are and what you are doing.
As far as being comparable... perhaps the inland empire.. although we actually have more water and micoclimes we can use... So CAl doesn't have that same thing. We also have more trees.. and our open areas are vastly easier to access.. during the summer you might find yourself doing day trips to other cooler places that would be time and resource intensive in So Cal.. here it is just easier to get out to nature

Be prepared for forest fires.. last year they choked our air for six solid weeks and that was far worse than the temperatures

Welcome to Redding... I hope you find it to your liking

Old 06-26-2009, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 32,498 times
My single daughter is considering taking a job in Redding. She currently lives about 2 hours south. Redding is not her first choice but with the economy the way it is, who has choices? After reviewing the info on City Data, I am a little concerned. Apparently, there were 323 Registered Sex Offenders living in Redding in 2007 and there were 84 rapes. That is significantly higher than where she lives now, or Red Bluff or most other places. Doesn't seem like a safe place. Her income would also drop by about $12,000/yr. Is the cost of living that much less there? She loves the outdoors and is pretty active so perhaps that is a good match. I'm just wondering how safe she'd be and whether she'd survive on her income. Any comments/advice? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California