Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:18 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,681 times

Advertisements

Stunning pictures!
I always take the extra time to drive through that area when I am going from WA to CA and back.
As a former CA resident now living in WA I am sorry you had to travel so far to get them. I am fortunate enough to live in a place that is surrounded by 100+ ft tall pines that grow along the street and in the 182 acre forest in my backyard. They are not as spectacular as the cedars which I consider the king of all trees, but they are beautiful. As rhoadies are native to this area, they grow very well. I have about 30 of them growing in the flower beds in the lower front portion of my yard. When they bloom, they are spectacular, but deadheading them and trimming them every year is a kind of a chore. I have 3 huge 3ft boulders in my garden that were dug up by the excavator that helped me with my landscaping. I remember sitting on one of them one morning taking a break from weeding when it suddenly started snowing "something" I reached out and grabbed one of the "snowflakes" and realized it was a small white feather. I looked around at the trees and saw a young eagle sitting about 50 ft up grooming itself and pulling breast feathers. The slight breeze made them drift towards me and I gathered up a few handfuls and still have them to this day.
Beautiful moments like this are priceless. I am so glad that there are people like you who have the vision and talent to capture them and make them last for a lifetime. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,034,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Jeesh mdvaden,

That is an awesome setup for traveling you have there! I have been brainstorming lately about what the best traveling rig might be. It sounds like you have some good experience with that. I might have to pick your brain sometime. Thanks again for posting and great shots BTW. Your truck looks dwarfed next to the Giants.

Give me a day or two to look around for the trailer forums, but there is a small trend catching on now where cargo trailers are being converted in the same way that cargo vans back in the 70s were customized. The weight is very little and the possibilities are unlimited.

I'll add the links if I can find them. Some guys posted on Youtube too. This guy emailed me once after I had mine posted for a while. I prefer the 6 x 12 size of mine though. And I only put about $600 into my interior if you count the TV and DVD player and heaters.

YouTube - Cargo/Camping Trailer

YouTube - Diamond cargo camping trailer

Some are simpler. Mine came pre-paneled with the windows, vent and side door brand new for about $3600.

Someone could start out with new or used like that, and simply begin with the bed, which is simple bracketed to the side ribs, allowing storage beneath. In my case, enough for a cooler or packing crate to slide beneath. I had a fridge, but found I prefer a cooler, so took the electric fridge out.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Tralers

Here is the sub-forum for Cargo Trailer conversions:

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers subforum for Cargo Trailer Conversion (http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42 - broken link)

Feel free to navigate to the main index and check out some of the teardrops and minis. Those are more built from scratch.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Hey,

Thanks again mdvaden! This is totally new to me yet looks like a really cool way to go!

I hope you are enjoying Portland. I almost moved there for the shear beauty of the place. I mean you have the Gorge, Mt. Hood, Silverfalls SP, and the rugged OR coast all within 1-2 hours away. Then in Portland itself you have rivers, Washington Park, the Japanese Gardens, etc... What a great place! I just couldn't convince my wife as it was too far from her family. Oh well. I sure enjoy visiting thats for sure!

The funny thing is I actually started a thread on the OR forum over a year ago on the PNW beauty and it is still going.

Derek

Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 15,024 times
Wow, great, hope someday I could visit there.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 AM

This thread is too refreshing to let it slip away yet.

Here's one more from Prairie Creek redwoods - the Titanic redwood. It's a mega-cathedral tree. But the cool part is hidden behind. The huge trunk remnant has the largest bark ridges I've ever seen. Could have been one of the biggest trees ever to live in that valley.

Attached Thumbnails
California the Beautiful - Redwoods and Rhododendrons-titanic650.jpg  

Old 06-16-2009, 03:31 PM

45 posts, read 192,229 times
Great photos
very nice

Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Bump the thread.

Too positive compared to politics and housing.

California's parks is one of it's highlights right now. It was surprising how many international visitors I saw in the north redwoods last weekend.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM

19 posts, read 85,447 times
Try taking a drive through the Avenue of the Giants sometime off Highway 101 starting just above Garberville and going up almost to Scotia. It is gorgeous! Lots of photo ops there for sure. Founders Grove is a great place to see trees that have fallen, shows how huge the trees were.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,925 times
ohhh those pictures are magical such humble power and breathless strength from true forests especially the redwoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California