Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM

40 posts, read 181,289 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I know this is a rather large question, but I'm sure as most of you have travelled during past summers, finding a great eatery isn't often easy when on a road trip. How about sharing the "BEST" restaurants or cafes you have encountered when you have travelled during summer. It can also be an eatery in your specific county that is special that you frequent; a great steak house, Italian, Thai, BBQ, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Restaurants to me are so much about memories, who you're with, and how good the day has been. Some of the best restaurants can be totally ruined on a long road trip if maybe the general feeling has been one of discontent or disappointment about something on the trip. Maybe a park you had been dying to see was closed, maybe you received a speeding ticket, maybe you waited TOO LONG to find a restaurant to eat at, lol

But recently on a road trip from Solano County down to Big Sur, I tried a little cafe solely because it was attached to a gas station and I needed some gas. It was called Big Sur Bakery & Restaurant. bigsurbakery.com There are expensive places in Big Sur, ie. Ventana, that I didn't think was that good (certainly not worth its prices) but this place was SOOOOO cute. It's not even funny how cute it was. And the food was unbelievably delicious. Each plate was about an average of $20 per plate (compared to $35-45 at Ventena). I got the halibut, with steamed cauliflower and roasted almonds in a sweet sauce along with a side of assorted olives and creme broulet and it was unreal. My comrades, if I remember correctly, got the pizza's which were really good, as well as dessert and wine.

It helped that a really good day of sightseeing preceeded this meal, but we were really impressed. So if you're down a bit south of the Bay on Route 1 near Big Sur, think about checking it out.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:53 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
This isn't technically when I was traveling, but I tell everyone who is driving down the coast to stop in Morro Bay and walk down the Embarcadero. There are sooooo many good restaraunts to choose from.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernwayfarer View Post
Greetings all,

I know this is a rather large question, but I'm sure as most of you have travelled during past summers, finding a great eatery isn't often easy when on a road trip. How about sharing the "BEST" restaurants or cafes you have encountered when you have travelled during summer. It can also be an eatery in your specific county that is special that you frequent; a great steak house, Italian, Thai, BBQ, etc.....
I love Big Sur and when i visit i like to eat at the Cafe Kiva. This is the outdoor cafe below Nepenthe's and i prefer it because it's usually relatively quiet (especially if you go at off hours) and the food is good and just a bit less pricey than upstairs.
And you can linger for a long time with a beer or a glass of Iced Tea, etc. and not feel pressured to eat or to leave.
But the best thing about both Cafe Kiva and Nepenthe's is that it's perched on a spectacular spot and the views are stunning and, particularly from the cafe when it's quiet, you can get a real sense of the energy and magic of Big Sur beyond its visual beauty.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
A few around here that I think are worth a stop when on a road trip:
In Fresno there are several I like:

Chefs Table is run by Chef Malachi who was named a Rising Star Chef by the SF Chronicle in 2003 before coming to Fresno to own his own restaurant. We usually sit on the patio and enjoy food and wine in the evenings.
The Chef's Table at The Elbow Room in Fresno, California features wine cellar dining room and vineyard patio.

Sichuan fans are driving to Hunan in Fresno. Chef Liu is one of the best in the US for Sichuan. He also left the Bay Area to own his own place. Chef Liu offers several menus: a standard Chinese restaurant menu for the less adventurous and a "Chef's menu" with choices like Peach Prawns or Butter Cream Prawns. He will also create a unique banquet if you book several days ahead, it might include recipes like Red Dates Lamb Stew or Braised Sea Cucumber or Abalone Fish Maw Roll.
http://www.thehunanrestaurant.com/files/33703730.pdf
The Hunan Restaurant - Chinese, cuisine, restaurant. Fresno, California.

I also like Cracked Pepper Bistro. Chef Vachi does dishes like Achiote Glazed Pork Tenderloin.
Fine dining, bistro, catering services - Fresno, CA

The family behind Limon in San Francisco recently opened a Fresno location of the Peruvian Restaurant. It is attracting fans from as far away as Southern California who can't make it all the way to SF or want a stop on the way to Yosemite.
http://www.limonfresno.com/

I haven't tried it yet but I hear good things from Bentley's Bistro. The current chef was previously in the kitchen at The French Laundry in Napa, so he learned from Keller.
bentleysbistro.com - information on bentleysbistro.com

In Clovis, I like Trelio which does creative things using local Valley produce. Owners/brothers Mike and Chris have created a nice casual bistro. Chef Mike learned his craft by cooking around the country including in New York and New Orleans while Chris was previously sommelier at the Elderberry House in Oakhurst.
Trelio Restaurant

Speaking of the Elderberry House in Oakhurst, it still maintains its 5 star rankings. Nice place to include on a Yosemite road trip.
Estate by the Elderberries
Estate by the Elderberries

Old 05-29-2009, 12:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
McDonalds, because you can eat, and make a mess, and it's cheap, and the kids can de-energize in the Playlands so they don't drive everyone nuts in the car.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I love Big Sur and when i visit i like to eat at the Cafe Kiva. This is the outdoor cafe below Nepenthe's and i prefer it because it's usually relatively quiet (especially if you go at off hours) and the food is good and just a bit less pricey than upstairs.
And you can linger for a long time with a beer or a glass of Iced Tea, etc. and not feel pressured to eat or to leave.
But the best thing about both Cafe Kiva and Nepenthe's is that it's perched on a spectacular spot and the views are stunning and, particularly from the cafe when it's quiet, you can get a real sense of the energy and magic of Big Sur beyond its visual beauty.

I'll have to check this one out on my next trip down. I passed it but didn't stop. Sounds like it's worth a look. Have you tried Big Sur Bakery & Restaurant?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
For general eating on the go my wife and I eat at Perko's up north and at Norm's in the south land.
If you are at Disneyland I highly suggest making reservations at The Blue Bayou, their king crab is to die for.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
If you're ever waaay up in the Mendocino/Ft Bragg area..check out this place...Mendo Bistro : great food in downtown Fort Bragg My family loved it. Very reasonable with really big portions and a really laid back kinda atmosphere.

Also just remembered this place if you're ever around a tiny little town called Graton (I think up near Sonoma) Willow Wood Market and Cafe, Graton . LOVED this place! Very casual and had a real "locals" feel

Old 05-29-2009, 04:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
I can't tell you what the best overall restaurant in the state is, but I can tell you a few favorites that I go back to again and again.
Starting north and going south:
Tartine Bakery in San Francisco (Guerrero St.)
Lemongrass Restaurant in Moss Landing (Thai)
Brophy Brothers in Santa Barbara at the harbor (order from the small menu and make sure you try the clam chowder)
La Super Rica on Milpas St. in Santa Barbara (authentic homemade Mexican) Fresh-made tortillas!
Your Place or Galanga in Santa Barbara (excellent Tom Kah Kai) Thai.
Bluewater near Old Town San Diego (fresh fish)
Terra in the Hillcrest section of San Diego.

There are the fancyass places too, if you want to blow your wad on the French Laundry and other such places. OK, forget that last imagery. Sometimes I don't choose my words carefully enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California