Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times

Advertisements

How's it going?

I am planning on relocating to the Santa Cruz area in the next year, and I had a few questions before we make the big move.

I have heard from many that Santa Cruz is a pretty laid back place? I am moving with my fiance, we plan to rent out a apartment for now and possibly buy a house once we learn the area a bit.

How's the weather? I love the beach, and I would like to spend most summer weekends at the beach. How cold does it get in the winter?

I am looking to live within 20-30 minutes of the beach, and spend around $900-$1200 on a apartment/condo, I know the area is pretty pricey, so do you think I would be able to find a reasonable place for this much?

Any other tips or anything would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I think you're way under-budgeted at those rents. Have a look at craigslist and see what apartments are renting for. Trust me, the cheap places (your high end) are not habitable.
The weather here is much cooler than SoCal (where I'm used to). Yesterday, I was in Monterey/Pacific Grove and I don't think it cracked 60. In winter you'll see frost on occasion, but the days warm up a bit. Check on accuweather for averages.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I think you're way under-budgeted at those rents. Have a look at craigslist and see what apartments are renting for. Trust me, the cheap places (your high end) are not habitable.
The weather here is much cooler than SoCal (where I'm used to). Yesterday, I was in Monterey/Pacific Grove and I don't think it cracked 60. In winter you'll see frost on occasion, but the days warm up a bit. Check on accuweather for averages.
Really? I checked weather.com and it said it was 86 yesterday in Santa Cruz?

I looked on CL, and the prices are a little high, its going to depend on my new job but I might be looking for another town.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I live in Capitola and got back in late afternoon yesterday. Trust me, it wasn't 86 even under some homeless guy's butt in downtown Santa Cruz.
I think you might find better options up Highways 17 or 9 that would still put you close to SC. The problems up there (Scotts Valley, Boulder Creek, Felton, etc...) appear to be the meth crowd. Watsonville (the other "cheap" place) will give you gangs to think about. Given that choice, I'd go with the meth-heads.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 AM

I don't want to deal with tweakers. I might have to go a little south or something, this blows.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Check out San Luis Obispo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Just a few hours south of Santa Cruz!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
How's it going?

I am planning on relocating to the Santa Cruz area in the next year, and I had a few questions before we make the big move.

I have heard from many that Santa Cruz is a pretty laid back place? I am moving with my fiance, we plan to rent out a apartment for now and possibly buy a house once we learn the area a bit.

How's the weather? I love the beach, and I would like to spend most summer weekends at the beach. How cold does it get in the winter?

I am looking to live within 20-30 minutes of the beach, and spend around $900-$1200 on a apartment/condo, I know the area is pretty pricey, so do you think I would be able to find a reasonable place for this much?

Any other tips or anything would be great.
That's a link to a thread from just a couple of days ago with two long posts about Santa Cruz.
It answers your questions and a whole lot more regarding Santa Cruz and the whole county of S.C. (don't box yourself into one town in the county).
Maybe they will be helpful.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ut-moving.html

Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I don't want to deal with tweakers. I might have to go a little south or something, this blows.
Oh please ... you can so easily live in Santa Cruz county and not have to have anything to do with this nonsense. Meth is everywhere ... "going south" isn't going to solve that problem.
Parts of Santa Cruz proper and parts of Capitola can be a bit frenetic but my god, that's such a little fragment of a beautiful place to be and live.
There are lots and lots of wonderful neighborhoods in both Capitola and S.C.!
Check out Aptos and Soquel as well.
Anywhere in the whole of S.C. county is less than 20 minutes (at the most) to a beach unless you're way out in Watsonville and you probably don't want to be way out in Watsonville.
Scotts Valley is not cheap and much of Boulder Creek, Felton, Ben Lomond, etc. are not cheap either. Snort may have less than an objective take on S.C. county and the surrounding area.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-26-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California