Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,514 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are thinking of moving to northern CA to escape the hot summers of central CA. We are a bit nervous about the snow (neither of us has ever lived where it snows before), but are excited about a change.

We are looking for suggestions on cities that would be good to move to. Neither of us is currently employed, so finding a job would be a priority. We also have a dog, so would need somewhere that pets aren't a problem!

Let us know what you think of your city! Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 05:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delowise View Post
Hi!

My husband and I are thinking of moving to northern CA to escape the hot summers of central CA. We are a bit nervous about the snow (neither of us has ever lived where it snows before), but are excited about a change.

We are looking for suggestions on cities that would be good to move to. Neither of us is currently employed, so finding a job would be a priority. We also have a dog, so would need somewhere that pets aren't a problem!

Let us know what you think of your city! Thanks for your help!
I would suggest you first do some research on the climatology of northern California. Neither snow nor cool summers are an inherent feature of "northern California," it depends on exactly where you're looking. The West Coast all the way up to the Canadian border and beyond is free of winter snow. The floor of the northern Sac Valley might see a dusting of snow once every 10 years or so. Redding can have high temperatures well over 110 degrees for three or four months. There are lots of "northern Californias."

P.S. If neither of you is currently employed, do yourselves a favor and forget about climate preferences and discretional lifestyle choices for the moment. Go where employment prospects are good for the careers you are trained in. If you're thinking about moving, this is a good time to move to a state with single-digit unemployment and basic government solvency for the immediate future.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
There are no jobs north of Sacramento. I believe every county north of there has unemployment levels well in excess of 10%. As an example, Shasta County is currently at 16% or 17% unemployment. Pay typically hugs close to the minimum wage. This area is more a place to where people go to retire, not a place where people move to make their fortunes and careers.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
You might want to consider the Eureka area. It's coastal and cooler but it's also rather depressed due to the cut-backs in the lumber industry. If the two of you can subsist on two minimum wage jobs to start, it might be a possibility.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
It might help if you mention what types of work you are qualified for.

Also are you thinking about the coastal regions or the inland regions in Northern California.

I will warn you that unemployment rates in much of Northern California is similiar to the San Joaquin Valley. For example:
Shasta County 15.4% unemployment
Siskiyou County 15.7% unemployment

I wouldn't move until you find a job in an area.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Yeah,

There are a lot of options, but of course finding a job in your fields are the most important thing.

I can tell you that Monterey and most of the CA coast from Central CA north will have nice cool summers. We actually get fog in the summer in Monterey which keeps things nice and cool (60-70s) while it is triple digits inland. And Santa Cruz on up gets similar weather.

Other than the coast you probably have to go up in altitude and even then it gets warm during the day in the summer. I'm thinking Tahoe, Mariposa, and other Sierra foothill locations. But again somewhere along the coast is really where it is at to stay cool.

Derek

Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times
Default Cooler means elevation

Oddly, in interior CA anyway, latitude has less influence on temperature variant than does elevation.

I live just north of Red Bluff-about 40 degrees North latitude, but at only about 400 feet elevation at my home. The summers here in the northern Sacto Valley are brutally hot-I think even hotter than Fresno. To escape the heat, you'll either have to go to the coast or to the mountains. The mountain elevations typically come with snowy winters. The coast comes with the fog-that's why the redwoods and ferns grow there.

I can attest to the lousy economy here as well. I'd suggest "treading water" if you are currently employed, until the economy improves. After that, you might consider some lower elevation mountain communities. Have a look at Grass Valley, Paradise or maybe even Shingletown. The other alternative might be a community near, but not on the coast, like Willets, or Fortuna. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,514 times
Thank you to everyone for your quick responses! We're actually going to look out of state now, since CA seems to be rough all over. Wish us luck! ;o)

Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,460 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone for your quick responses! We're actually going to look out of state now, since CA seems to be rough all over. Wish us luck! ;o)
Luck!
Let us know if you find the perfect spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California