Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 22,935 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice! There is not a dental hygiene program at UCSC, and the closest program is at Cabrillo College in Aptos. Do you know where safe, affordable living is in the Altos area? I was checking out prices on craigslist and the rent is outrageous! I thought maybe prices would be going down because of the economy but I guess I was mistaken. I have lots of things to take into consideration before I pick up and move out west. Have you heard of biological dentistry out there? It's holistic dentistry and it seems to be more heard of out west. ~Tania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 09:48 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB76 View Post
Thanks for the advice! There is not a dental hygiene program at UCSC, and the closest program is at Cabrillo College in Aptos. Do you know where safe, affordable living is in the Altos area? I was checking out prices on craigslist and the rent is outrageous! I thought maybe prices would be going down because of the economy but I guess I was mistaken. I have lots of things to take into consideration before I pick up and move out west. Have you heard of biological dentistry out there? It's holistic dentistry and it seems to be more heard of out west. ~Tania
The entire county is expensive ... no doubt about it and yes, it is outrageous. And believe it or not rental prices have come down a bit since last summer. They may continue to do so.
I love S.C. county so much that i pay way more rent that i'd like to and i cut back on everything else. But yes, that's the drawback.
Basically, there aren't any "bad" areas of Aptos. There are a few housing situations that are close to the highway but that's the only area of Aptos that i'd avoid. And it's not so much a matter of safety but i just don't like living next to a highway.
If you're looking for housing on Craigslist you should know that you don't have to limit yourself to Aptos only. Like i said, the entire county is expensive (except for quite a bit of Watsonville and you need be careful in renting there - although much of it is fine) but realize that any place in the county that is within walking distance (or biking distance - easy on/off access for bikes on the bus) to the bus line will take you to Cabrillo very quickly and easily which is on one of the main routes (Soquel Avenue). The closer you are to Soquel Avenue, the faster the bus trip.
And if you have a car, your options greatly increase.
So just be open to the whole county. Santa Cruz, Capitola, Soquel and Aptos are all part of the same "scene" just with variations. Aptos and Soquel are more mellow and Capitola and Santa Cruz more frenetic.
I like all of Aptos. It's my favorite town in the county. Soquel is probably the very safest town but don't quote me as i'm not using statistics.
Also, if you're young and don't mind sharing a household, there are many opportunities to do that as it's a young town with both Cabrillo College and UCSC.
I don't know what Biological dentistry is exactly but realize this area is very progressive. San Francisco is less than 2 hours to the north and Monterey is less than an hour to the south and San Jose / Silicon Valley is close by (on the other side of the mountains) so it's a fairly cutting edge place in all regards.
Just follow your heart. If this area is where you need and want to be you'll find a way to be here.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Hello again! How is the weather? Does it get warm enough in the summer to swim in the ocean? I read it rains from winter to spring but are there sunny breaks? I lived in WA state for 3 years, it rained and remained gloomy sometimes for 3 months straight! I moved because I didn't want to feel depressed all the time...it was horrible Are the people pretty friendly and welcoming? Before I moved down to South Carolina I heard all about the southern hospitality and I've been here for almost 3 years and have hardly any friends my age. I'm 32 and I'm hanging out with people my parents age and some are also transplants to the area. Are people in their 30's going out hiking and enjoying nature or are they still partying? I really need to find a place where the culture suits me and I'm a bit closer to my family rather then being on the opposite coast. I know you mentioned there are lots of health food stores but what about clothing stores? How far is the drive to find Kohls, TJ Maxx, Ross or a mall? Where are all the trendy restaurants located? I will most likely work at a restaurant serving or bartending for a year while I establish residency so I can attend school and qualify for instate tuition. So far it seems like the area you are mentioning fits me the best!

Some people on here are talking really negatively about people moving to CA because of the condition it's in. Is it really that horrible? I also made my decision on the state because dental hygiene is one of the fastest growing fields in the CA and the pay is great as well! My original plan was to finish school here in Greenville, SC but I don't think I can tolerate feeling so lonely for 3 more years...Thanks again for all your help! ~Tania

Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,777 times
Hi Tania

I'm kind of jazzed that I found your thread because we seem to be in a similar situation! I am also 30 something with no kids and itching to move.

I am currently in So Cal, but lived in Davis for 2 years and Sac for 7. I am seriously considering moving to SC or NC but I need to do more research to figure out where I will feel at home.

I too am looking for a "green" minded community, liberal people, eclectic shops/restaurants, sidewalks and easy to walk to downtown areas. I'm disappointed to here that Greenville is conservative. Are there other towns with a more liberal feel?

I can offer you my opinion on Sac. First off if you want farmer's markets Sac has one of the best I have been to and it is open year round! I lived all my 7 years in midtown and it does offer easy walking access to shops, restuarants and entertainment. Traffic can be a bear and there are a lot of one way streets which can be confusing when you are first getting used to the place. I made some really good friends so I had an overall good experience as far as meeting people goes.

If you want a much more hollistic and green experience, Davis is only a 20 min drive from Sac and heads and shoulders above in that respect. It is also very walkable and has a cute downtown. But on the downside, Davis is super expensive.

I hope this helps. Could you please share with me your opinion on the Carolinas?

Thanks,
Susan

Old 05-24-2009, 12:25 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB76 View Post
Hello again! How is the weather? Does it get warm enough in the summer to swim in the ocean? I read it rains from winter to spring but are there sunny breaks? I lived in WA state for 3 years, it rained and remained gloomy sometimes for 3 months straight! I moved because I didn't want to feel depressed all the time...it was horrible Are the people pretty friendly and welcoming? Before I moved down to South Carolina I heard all about the southern hospitality and I've been here for almost 3 years and have hardly any friends my age. I'm 32 and I'm hanging out with people my parents age and some are also transplants to the area. Are people in their 30's going out hiking and enjoying nature or are they still partying? I really need to find a place where the culture suits me and I'm a bit closer to my family rather then being on the opposite coast. I know you mentioned there are lots of health food stores but what about clothing stores? How far is the drive to find Kohls, TJ Maxx, Ross or a mall? Where are all the trendy restaurants located? I will most likely work at a restaurant serving or bartending for a year while I establish residency so I can attend school and qualify for instate tuition. So far it seems like the area you are mentioning fits me the best!

Some people on here are talking really negatively about people moving to CA because of the condition it's in. Is it really that horrible? I also made my decision on the state because dental hygiene is one of the fastest growing fields in the CA and the pay is great as well! My original plan was to finish school here in Greenville, SC but I don't think I can tolerate feeling so lonely for 3 more years...Thanks again for all your help! ~Tania
The rainy season is basically from November through April although i've seen Aprils where there is hardly a drop. The heavy rains are in the winter months but there are long stretches of days between the rain that are sunny (and sunny and cloudy) and relatively warm. I've walked on the beach in Feb. in a t-shirt.
And some winters are rainier than others.
If you don't like the rain then much of California will be a drag for you in the winter.
Summer (or i should say May - October) are beautiful and warm although this is the central coast and there is fog. The closer you are to the ocean the more fog you will experience but it comes and goes.
At the moment, i am living in Soquel and i'm about 6 miles from the coast.
It's 10:45 a.m. and i'm waiting for the fog to burn off. Sometimes in the morning there is no fog. Sometimes the fog rolls in during the early evening. Sometimes it doesn't roll in this far at all.
It's quite variable and in this area of the central coast there are many micro-environments which makes it a very interesting and varied place to be.
This isn't Southern CA. But there are plenty of days in the summer and early fall where you can swim in the ocean. I could have gone in the other day and it's not even June.
But it's not the Carribean ... it doesn't feel like bath water.
Surfers here wear wet suits and they surf throughout the entire year.
There are plenty of young people your age and of all ages hiking, biking, mountain biking (good mountain biking here), surfing, etc., etc. and there are plenty of young people partying as well. It's a very diverse community.
It's very friendly to women here in the sense that men aren't, in general, wolves ... if you know what i mean. In other words, the men here, young and old tend to be relatively easy going and gentle. And there are a lot of good looking men everywhere although i suppose that's a subjective statement. I like the men here. Geez, i'm assuming you're a female. If not, oooops.
It's very easy to access clothing stores. There is the Capitola Mall (real close no matter where in the county you are ... 5 minute drive from Aptos) with a variety of department stores (and more in Watsonville) and there are boutiques all over the county with all types of clothing. And there are some really good used clothing stores in every town in the county.
If you want real high-end shopping you can take a trip up to San Francisco (i love S.F.) and then Carmel, in Monterey county, is about an hour to the south and it's a very ritzy area with fancy shops of all kinds.
There are a lot of bars and restaraunts around and particularly in Santa Cruz proper and in Capitola. Capitola is a quaint little seaside town with many tourists visiting in the non-winter months. It's the oldest seaside resort in the state of CA i believe.
Santa Cruz proper has many eating and drinking establishments and it brings lots of folks in from all around. The down-town is a fun place to walk and to shop and there is the boardwalk with roller coaster, etc., etc. It's right on the bay. It's a hoot. Very charming and funky.
I would not listen to the nay sayers. The entire country is going through a difficult time at the moment and yeah, economically CA is being hit hard.
But, as i see it, your path shouldn't be determined by anyone but you.
You gotta do the leg work and be practical but ultimately, it's your own inner compass (your heart, your feelings, your love, what you're drawn to, etc.) that determines your path.
Also, you have 3 more years of schooling. Who knows what will happen during those years? It's impossible to say. Every place in the country has its own particular challenges and drawbacks. The only one in S.C. county, as it relates to my life, is the high rent but i choose to deal with it because i love it here.
The people are varied (it's a diverse and liberal and tolerant community) and the people are friendly. It is not an aggressive and hostile place. If you put out good vibes you'll find them returned. And If you don't put out good and friendly vibes, you won't get attitude.
I find it very easy to be myself here!
Again, i'd dissuade you from Fresno, Redding, and Sacramento. Those are not, in my, opinion happy places.
Generally speaking, there is a feeling here that people are truly grateful to be living in S.C. county. And they're willing to pay for it.
If you like it here and if you can afford the rent, give it a go.
There is no perfect place (i'm finally learning that and i'm in my 40's) but i quess the best we can do is try to find the place that best supports who we are in terms of people and the natural environment.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-24-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Hey Susan,

Look into Asheville, NC. Greenville is also a neat place but it has a long way to go. I'm not originally from here so my suggestions are limited to this area. There are lots of outdoorsy things to do, we are right next to the Blue Ridge moutains and Asheville is also close to the Smoky Mountains. The cost of living is alot more afforadable then CA but the salaries are alot lower. I just find it hard to meet people and my family is on the west coast so that's why I want to move again. If you like the beach, Charleston is a cool place to visit. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here to the cost and from Asheville it would be a little over 4 hours.

Do you know if it's hard to find restaurant jobs in CA? That's mostly likely what I will do until I establish residency. So far it seems like I would like the Santa Cruz area the best. I'm picking places that are next to colleges that offer dental hygiene degrees.

~Tania

Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchingtomove View Post
Hi Tania

I'm kind of jazzed that I found your thread because we seem to be in a similar situation! I am also 30 something with no kids and itching to move.

I am currently in So Cal, but lived in Davis for 2 years and Sac for 7. I am seriously considering moving to SC or NC but I need to do more research to figure out where I will feel at home.

I too am looking for a "green" minded community, liberal people, eclectic shops/restaurants, sidewalks and easy to walk to downtown areas. I'm disappointed to here that Greenville is conservative. Are there other towns with a more liberal feel?

I can offer you my opinion on Sac. First off if you want farmer's markets Sac has one of the best I have been to and it is open year round! I lived all my 7 years in midtown and it does offer easy walking access to shops, restuarants and entertainment. Traffic can be a bear and there are a lot of one way streets which can be confusing when you are first getting used to the place. I made some really good friends so I had an overall good experience as far as meeting people goes.

If you want a much more hollistic and green experience, Davis is only a 20 min drive from Sac and heads and shoulders above in that respect. It is also very walkable and has a cute downtown. But on the downside, Davis is super expensive.

I hope this helps. Could you please share with me your opinion on the Carolinas?

Thanks,
Susan
Susan, just out of curiosity are you talking about the Famers market in Roseville? I ask cause it was our first experience with a farmers market, I won't tell you how many years ago. I know it is still going and probably is as good as it was then.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California