Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Was just wondering if anybody knew the process off top of there head in order to qualify for in state tuition. I am looking to start a program and would pay out of state for a few classes to get started, IF I could still get in state tuition after 1 year. I am not going to California just for school, I just happened to be going to school on the side right now. Moving permanently, do not plan to leave.

Does anybody know if you can take part time classes then get in state tuition after 1 year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
To be considered a California resident for purposes of fees, an out-of-state student must have lived in California for more than one year preceding the residence determination date, relinquish residence in other states, show an intent to establish residency in California and demonstrate financial independence. Unmarried undergraduates from other states qualify as financially independent if they were not claimed by their parents or others as dependents for tax purposes for two preceding tax years and if their annual income is sufficient to meet their needs.

So, in order to attend a CA school as a resident, you would have to move in with your grandparents (or elsewhere in the Golden State) for two years for a purpose other than attending school. (Although there is officially only a one-year residency requirement, it takes two years for most students who have been named as dependents on parental tax forms through high school.) In other words, you would have to get a job and not only earn wages in CA but also be able to prove that you are self-supporting and no longer financially linked to your parents in Colorado. They couldn’t declare you as a dependent on their taxes; you would have to change your driver’s license (if you have one), your library card, and any other documentation that connects you to your current home.

(from collegeconfidential.com - not copywrited)

Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 AM

cool, thanks for the information, looks like will have to be one year. That still doesn't really answer if I can take any classes or not... If I start taking classes will they think (oh he is trying to come here just for school) when I am not ... I'm going there to work and be with my girlfriend... :I
I'm independent.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
You can take classes then apply for a change in residency status. The CSU and UC campuses will have forms and a process to follow, so look it up for the campus you plan to attend. It should be on the campus website.

As soon as you get to California take steps to show that you intend to make the state your home.

That includes changing your drivers license, reregister your car in California, register to vote in California, etc. Starting right away avoids having any calendar dates that might come back to haunt you when you apply for resident tuition.

In other words cut all ties to your prior state. Anything less will raise questions about your intent to stay. Just living here for a year does not necessarily show you plan to stay.

Also if you are age 19 or less when you ask to be reclassified as a state resident for tuition, they still will look at your parents' state of residency even if you are financially independent.

Also check with the campus if they have any timelines on financial independence for reclassification, some will expect you to have been independent from your parents for 3 or 4 years if you are already attending the campus.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Oh I might add, I do know students who have done this.

But to make it easier, they attended a community college for a year while establishing residency then applied to the CSU/UC campus as a state resident.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM

I am 28 so I am independent. Yeah I was thinking I might be able to start as a part time then apply for full time. I will be working full time as well and severe all ties to Florida, drivers, voting, car plates, insurance, along with change bank account. I do not plan on leaving, but whoever is administrating might think otherwise, I just don't want there to be any problems. I could handle a few classes as non degree seeking in the mean time part time. I am moving out there in June 2009 and look to start a program fall 2010 as in state student.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM

just another bump, and thanks fresno....

I am not sure about CC (as far as my transcripts go)...though that might work for a couple... I will be applying to grad programs but I am trying to knock out some foreign language classes and a few pre reqs at a cal state or a CC in the mean time... I have to be proficient in 2 foreign languages for the doctorate and take a few more philosophy classes (symbolic logic/ancient/modern) before I get into the program. I did information systems (MIS) for undergrad so... yeah, don't have those

Thanks.

What I am thinking of is arriving on June 17th, getting drivers license and registering to vote june 18th...find full time job, then taking 2-3 classes in fall and spring so I am not a full time student (paying out of state tuition), looking at Santa Rosa JC or Sonoma State (as they are close), then fall 2010 I will have in state residency and already applied for the graduate program. I hope they don't see me as just going out there for school (I'm not and plan to stay and plant some roots)

Last edited by grapico; 06-07-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
My apologies in advance if you've already checked into this, but have you checked with your anticipated graduate program to see if the in-state thing is even an issue if you are accepted? In some fields, at least, at the doctoral level it's common to either not pay any tuition (and you can often receive other sources of funding on top of that, including outright fellowships or stipends, TAships, etc.) or at least be eligible for in-state tuition rates. In some cases I've also seen pro-rated in-state tuition breaks based on campus positions (such as teaching or research assistantships) held and the number of hours worked. I haven't looked into how it works for California schools, though, and it probably varies to some extent by program.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
just another bump, and thanks fresno....

I am not sure about CC (as far as my transcripts go)...though that might work for a couple... I will be applying to grad programs but I am trying to knock out some foreign language classes and a few pre reqs at a cal state or a CC in the mean time... I have to be proficient in 2 foreign languages for the doctorate and take a few more philosophy classes (symbolic logic/ancient/modern) before I get into the program. I did information systems (MIS) for undergrad so... yeah, don't have those
Somehow I missed that you were applying to a grad program, so yeah a community college may not work. Be sure to check on the level of course work you need to get into your future program. i.e. is a upper division or graduate level course needed or just simple lower division units.

Quote:
What I am thinking of is arriving on June 17th, getting drivers license and registering to vote june 18th...find full time job, then taking 2-3 classes in fall and spring so I am not a full time student (paying out of state tuition), looking at Santa Rosa JC or Sonoma State (as they are close), then fall 2010 I will have in state residency and already applied for the graduate program. I hope they don't see me as just going out there for school (I'm not and plan to stay and plant some roots)
As long as you show your intention to sever ties with your previous state you should be OK.

Good luck, grad school is tough but fascinating. Both my wife and I have been there.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Somehow I missed that you were applying to a grad program, so yeah a community college may not work. Be sure to check on the level of course work you need to get into your future program. i.e. is a upper division or graduate level course needed or just simple lower division units.

As long as you show your intention to sever ties with your previous state you should be OK.

Good luck, grad school is tough but fascinating. Both my wife and I have been there.
just need those 3 lower division phi classes before STARTING. I was looking into the foreign language as well because most require you to be proficient in 2 foreign languages...either French, German, Latin or Greek. I currently know none of those... so it is going to be a lot of work!

Uptown, I am going to apply to 3 doctoral programs there as well as 2 terminal masters programs which are a good stepping stone into them in case I do not get in (which I have a very slim chance at the top programs right now as my undergrad was in a different subject)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California