Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 AM

44 posts, read 171,334 times

Advertisements

Where do you think the better investment/appreciation will be in 5, 10 yrs? Considering the cost differences, what do you think the return on investment will be?

Folsom, CA
Temecula, CA
Ventura, Ca-(any other outlying areas, please advise also)
Santa Clarita, CA
Scottsdale, Az

Want to buy a home and not sure if the extra costs will equate into a better investment in the long run.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Let's see Ventura is on the coast. It has one of the most beautifull views of the ocean and the Channel Islands as can be had. I rate it up there with Santa Barbara although we were in Santa Barbara on Easter and the view of the islands was amazing. A couple years ago Outdoor Magazine ranked it as the #2 beach community in the world. Homes can be had from the mid $200,000 range well into the seven figure range.

Other communities are Oxnard to the south. I live in the north side of Oxnard. The Oxnard area has 3 beaches. Views are mostly of the Topa Topa Mountain range as Oxnard is built on a plain and has no hillside to speak of. It does have amazing homes near the ocean and its own small intercoastal waterway of sourts with homes and condos built along it. Many homes have boat docks in the front. (Roads are in the back the water is always the front. The focus of a Harbor home is the back not the front.) Most of Oxnard is Hispanic. I don't see that as a problem though, but many do.

Camarillo is inland somewhat from Oxnard and Ventura. It is a family town that used to role in the stop lights after 9PM. During the past 10 years Camarillo has come into its own. They have one of the largest outlet centers in the state, and it is a preimium outlet center. The center will add an aditional 60 stores this year. We are in a recession and they are still growing. I love Camarillo. Spent a lot of time there in my younger days. Homes are for the most part upscale. I have several friends that live in the Spanish Hills area, where homes are in the seven figures.

Ojai to the North of Ventura is an amazing place. Many stars and former stars call Ojai home or have second homes there. With less than 9,000 residents the city is small, but has a lot of charm and sophistication. This is a big buck area that the average person can buy into. Lots of outdoor things to do in Ojai. Near Ojai is Oak View, Meiners Oaks, and other communities that many of us seem to toss intogether, although the residents of these areas would feel differantly. Casitas Springs is the former home of Johnny Cash. I doubt that the people of Ojai would consider many people in Casitas Springs as having made it to their financial level.

Althogh the cities that you have on your list are amazing places, they are very differant from Ventura and the surrounding areas. I can not tell you which place would do better. I don't think that any of them are the same as Ventura though. Kind of like apples, oranges, and plums if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California