Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times

Advertisements

The biggest expense is buying a house. Rent isn't all that bad. California is fine when you're young and don't mind living with a few roommates. But once you get a little older and start to think about a family, you quickly realize that you'll likely never make enough money to both afford a couple of kids AND have a house for them. The ideal of 2-3 kids in a 3-4 bedroom house with a back yard and one spouse staying at home is reserved for the rich today. Enjoy California while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 02:04 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Can you deny your ego a shiny new car every two years? Can you drive your old one less? Can you resist new brand-name clothes? Can you pat yourself on the back when you find great deals at second-hand stores? Can you restrain your apetite for upscale restaurants? Can you cook at home? Is it more important for you to save for your own house/condo even if that means you have to cut back on other things?

If you answerd mostly "yes" to these questions, you can make it in CA on a modest income.

I would also second what others have said about opportunities. With a little education and skill you'll never have to work for minimum wage.

And this is where the sword enters many hearts. How did I live on not much money back in the day? Read above. There's an art to living like this, some can pull it off...

Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
When I was in college and hardly making any money and renting I was prefectly happy. Wish life was that great.

Now we have an income of $150K and a house etc - the American Dream

But I'd rather rent to go back to the good life

It's not expensive in Calif, just the houses are (oh and gas but I don't use much gas)

Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 59,614 times
Default Renting life....

I'm in my 40s with a 9-year-old child. I work from my laptop in a very mobile type job and have lived in Oregon since he was born...but will be moving soon.

We have always rented (at first it was because I had to..and now I prefer to). If I get married again, then buying might make more sense to me!

But for now, we rent a lovely little townhome and enjoy NOT having to take care of it ourselves. We have a gardner and lawn person who come once a week, all our appliances are fixed immediately or replaced if they break down, we don't have to worry about insurance, taxes, water or trash bills, or any of the other hassles or expenses home ownership can bring. We enjoy a community pool in the summer months, etc, etc.

Renting, for us anyway, has been a blessing. Ease of living has always been my goal and that is what we have. It all depends on your perspective and your priorities in life. It is also about realizing that prosperity can come in many forms and there is more than one way to create it.

Of course, I realize the benefits of home ownership, but I could live like this the rest of my life and be very happy.

Just my experience!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:56 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,464 times
Good luck with your plans. I'm in a similar situation. I'm 19 and I'm living in Southern Indiana and I can't take it here much longer. Pretty bad weather, sick of the small town atmosphere, I want a place with pro sports, and I'm ready to move on. I would love to move to Cali and I've heard so much about how expensive it is there that it has scared me away. This thread gives me hope though.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:00 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackShihTzu View Post
I'm in my 40s with a 9-year-old child. I work from my laptop in a very mobile type job and have lived in Oregon since he was born...but will be moving soon.

We have always rented (at first it was because I had to..and now I prefer to). If I get married again, then buying might make more sense to me!

But for now, we rent a lovely little townhome and enjoy NOT having to take care of it ourselves. We have a gardner and lawn person who come once a week, all our appliances are fixed immediately or replaced if they break down, we don't have to worry about insurance, taxes, water or trash bills, or any of the other hassles or expenses home ownership can bring. We enjoy a community pool in the summer months, etc, etc.

Renting, for us anyway, has been a blessing. Ease of living has always been my goal and that is what we have. It all depends on your perspective and your priorities in life. It is also about realizing that prosperity can come in many forms and there is more than one way to create it.

Of course, I realize the benefits of home ownership, but I could live like this the rest of my life and be very happy.

Just my experience!
I have always thought about wanting to own a home in the future but you are right that there are advantages to renting.

May I ask what you do for your work? I have been looking and looking for something where I can work at home or wherever from a computer but I haven't been able to find much outside of things that are likely scam type things.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Good luck with your plans. I'm in a similar situation. I'm 19 and I'm living in Southern Indiana and I can't take it here much longer. Pretty bad weather, sick of the small town atmosphere, I want a place with pro sports, and I'm ready to move on. I would love to move to Cali and I've heard so much about how expensive it is there that it has scared me away. This thread gives me hope though.
Good luck to you too!

I'm sure you will make it, just like people said I would. California IS expensive, but then again, stuff equals out. Maybe in small town Indiana housing isn't expensive but for example, taxes are high (I don't know if they are - it's an example). Stuff tends to equal out. YES, California is more expensive but no, I don't think it's unmanageable.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Lightbulb Start your own business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I have been looking and looking for something where I can work at home or wherever from a computer but I haven't been able to find much outside of things that are likely scam type things.
If you can find the courage, start your own business with your computer skills that will allow you to work from home. It's not easy, but it is attainable. When you're a freelancer, consultant or otherwise self-employed, you're always looking for that next job, contract and client. You have to manage your own taxes, keep track of expenses, billing and collecting, etc. A lot of the time it's feast or famine. But if you can find it in yourself to handle these things, the rewards of being your own boss, in charge of your day-to-day, your destiny, and working from YOUR home office are rewarding, indeed.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,076 times
Talking hey Bmurphy

you and I are in the same boat.... i plan on movin to LA in the next 2 years for school... right now im in ma freshmen year of college and plan to transfer. So this post u set up and the feeback is helpping me out.But if any one can help me out on what schoo to transfer to and what neighborhood to get an apartment in..

Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I've been wanting to come back to CA since we moved in 2005. As others have said, it's mostly real estate/rent and income taxes that's expensive, most everything else is pretty close to the national average. Gas is expensive but not quite exorbitant (were it not for gasoline taxes, gasoline itself wouldn't be especially expensive there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California