Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,216 times

Advertisements

How bad is the cost of living in California, really? NO, I'm not arguing that's it not expensive. Not at all.

But -- I know a lot of people who live in California who are hardly rich. Some are renters, some own homes. The point is, is it really true that one needs to make $100k to live in California?

My guess would be if you're renting, a normal income (maybe as low as 35k) would enable you to live if you were careful and didn't have spendy habits. If you want a house, yes, you need a huge income, but it's true in many states too, just to a smaller degree.

Any comments?

I'm not trying to attack anyone, I'm just wondering if California is really as horrible to live in ($ wise) as many people say.

Do you think I could make it in California (we're talking Santa Cruz here, which I suddenly am attracted to, or any similar expensive place in California) if I were renting with a roomate? Obviously, being 18 when I move, the job will probably not be a huge income and together I'm guessing we'll have like $40k yearly. No, that's NOT a lot of money, but would it be doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 08:31 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
I think 40k is ok. The cost of living really is the same everywhere, housing is the big difference. New automobles, clothing, food and other stuff do not change as you get away from here. Gasoline is the highest here of the 48 states right now at just over $3 a gallon. Gray Davis (ex governor replaced by Arnold) screwed us over with some inside trading so we pay more for electricity. Car insurance is more but not much more.

Your biggest cost will be rent.

You might want to make plans or savings in case your friend moves out on you. Best to make your budget on your income only unless you are married. Plan on your friend, just plan ahead in case they move on.

Good luck, Santa Cruz is a great place.

Last edited by ferretkona; 03-24-2007 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Thank you, you truly relieved me with that post. Now I know that with the right planning and budgeting I can afford wherever I want to go. I feel great! And all this at only 16, lol. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Any other comments/advice? Sorry to bump/beg, but it's fun to read, and interesting to hear, so keep it coming, please.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
ferretkona gave great info as far as rent. Utilities, food, clothing, etc. is probably the same average price as anywhere. I live in Long Beach, and the inexpensive gas is $3.07/gallon (as of today). Gas doesn't bother me - I don't have a vehicle I once lived in Oregon and Washington and as far as food, I noticed some products were more and some were less than in California. It all balanced at the end.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:24 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,103 times
Until 9 years ago I lived on about 15k a year, living in all the places people squawk about needing to make over 100k a year to live. It's all about how you choose to live. I've found durable and consumable goods to be lower in L.A. than other places I've been. I came out to Hawaii for 3 years and my cost of living jumped 300% from Pasadena and I still made it just fine. L.A. housing is more than many places, less than others. I've found money making opportunities abound and are only limited by a person's ambition and self-discipline. I since made a decision to turbocharge my income and no longer put limits on it or what I can afford. The only thing that ever limited my lifestyle in Los Angeles was me.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 PM

13 posts, read 85,375 times
Talking Good for you!

How nice to see a 16yr old making such big future plans (I don't recall being so well prepared for my future at 16, just prepared for what I would be wearing that day!) It is totally possible to live in Santa Cruz with a room mate. I grew up in Salinas, it only took 40 min to get to the SCbeach boardwalk and my friends and I went every weekend during summer. Even though other beaches were 15 min. away, SC has warmer weather, less wind , more sunshine than fog and it is fun, fun, fun! I enjoy it still along with my husband and 2 young sons. You will love it to!! How exciting for you. God Bless and stay on track with your life!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,463 times
Thumbs up awesome

Dude goodluck, I'm more than sure that you can do it.

What sorceror68 said hits the spot. There are endless amount of opportunities and jobs here, just don't limit yourself with the useless minimum wage jobs. I discovered this very quickly. I've worked a min. wage job once here in Cali but quit (within 2 days) it because it isn't worth it. All you have to do is look around. I found plenty of sweet flexible ones that pay me 14 the hour. Which is more than I need as a college student, plus I can work less and have more fun.

Just start slow at first and don't go overspend. Which Californians like to do...which is why they have such a hard time financially...they're all in debt. But seriously, there's plenty to do here without needing that much cash. Plus i'm sure once you find the right group of people to chill with, it won't matter anyways.

But yeah, as long as you know how to spend and save just enough of you're money you'll be fine. I learned my lesson the hardway...once I used my paycheck to buy myself an IPOD with all its accessories, and spent over 500 in like 30 minutes...and it totally slipped my mind that I had to pay for car insurance. lolx. dudee...took the bus for an entire semester. but it was okay, buses get you everywhere here. aha. and yeah...actually. Santa Cruz should be a nice area to get around on bike and bus. you would save soo much dinero if you did that. as long as you found a job thats nearby and all...you'll save money from not having to pay for gas, car insurance, and all the other stuff that goes into a car. if you ever wanted to go to san fran you can take a train or something. buttt...if you like roadtrips like me, aha, you won't be able to give up your car.

eitherway man, goodluck!

Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Default How hungry is your ego?

Can you deny your ego a shiny new car every two years? Can you drive your old one less? Can you resist new brand-name clothes? Can you pat yourself on the back when you find great deals at second-hand stores? Can you restrain your apetite for upscale restaurants? Can you cook at home? Is it more important for you to save for your own house/condo even if that means you have to cut back on other things?

If you answerd mostly "yes" to these questions, you can make it in CA on a modest income.

I would also second what others have said about opportunities. With a little education and skill you'll never have to work for minimum wage.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:23 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,746 times
santa cruz is beauty ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California