Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM

373 posts, read 1,170,563 times

Advertisements

I currently live in SF and find that this city has a narrow range of people for a city its size with a seemingly bimodal income distribution with lots of rich and poor but little middle class. The city has very few immigrants that aren't from China or Mexico. I'd like to live somewhere in CA, preferably within 30 miles of the coast, that's diverse and more integrated in terms of economic status, race, ethnicity, nationality, and lifestyles. What cities do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
California is one of the most self-segregated places in the US. It will be very hard to find what you're looking for. I'll throw Long Beach out there for starters, but there are some predominant cultural areas there(Cambodians and blacks). It is a large city though, and I find the eastern suburbs and the coastal areas(downtown, Belmont Shore, Naples, etc) to be fairly diverse. Good mix of cultures, mostly younger people, mixed gay/straight population, and various economic classes.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 PM

373 posts, read 1,170,563 times
I've only been to Long Beach a few times and never really though much of it. I should visit the area again when possible. What about all the ships in the harbor? Don't they spew high levels of particulate matter into the air increasing health problems for the residents of Long Beach?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
The Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles are west of town. The parts of the city that I spoke of are on the east side, and the breeze coming off the ocean is from a different direction than the port as well.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
What part of San Francisco are you in now? Have you considered the Central or Outer Richmond - they're by the ocean, have economic and ethnic diversity (a lot of Russians, in addition to Chinese, etc., plus I hear plenty of other languages as well) and a range of lifestyles. Not as big a move as you're looking for, perhaps, but it might be the ticket if you have to stick closer to home for the time being.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 AM

177 posts, read 706,018 times
I would say Long Beach and Los Angeles. That's just my perspective though.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:37 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
I currently live in SF and find that this city has a narrow range of people for a city its size with a seemingly bimodal income distribution with lots of rich and poor but little middle class. The city has very few immigrants that aren't from China or Mexico. I'd like to live somewhere in CA, preferably within 30 miles of the coast, that's diverse and more integrated in terms of economic status, race, ethnicity, nationality, and lifestyles. What cities do you recommend?
The reason is that the rich can afford the cost of living and the poor don't have to. The middle class just gets up and moves!

Can you be a little more specific on the "diversity" you need?

Charles would ask what do you do for a living?

Can you work from home in your jammies and earn $200 K a year? If so do you need an assistant?

My favorite town is still San Luis Obispo but it probably doesn't have the diversity you are looking for.

Thousand Oaks is getting good press as it is very safe, close to all the amenities, nice weather and job opportunities.

And, almost forgot the old favorite, San Diego and surrounding environs.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 PM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
Quote:
Uhh San Francisco probably has one of the most diverse ranges in immigrants in California, it elsewhere thats its dominated more so by those two groups. Oakland has some diverse neighborhoods, check out Temescal/North Oakland. Most East Bay suburbs along 880 and 80 are pretty mixed too. Sacramento has a diverse population being an affordable medium sized city, but its quite a bit inland.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Sacramento.

Being from the Oakland (where the median family income for whites is $100,000+), I wasnt accustomed to seeing middle class much less poor white people-I just assumed that whites who are middle class are really poor. Just stupid I know but I was taught reality in Sac.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
I forgot to add Hollywood. The neighborhood is changing, but has a blend of rich, poor, and middle class people. We lived along the Yucca Corridor (a block north of Hollywood Blvd's Walk of Fame) and it is very diverse from an ethnic standpoint, too. In fact my all-time favorite voting story comes from there: everyone from all backgrounds in line, the poll workers from all over the world (as well as American), and after I fed my ballot into the machine everyone clapped and an old guy with a heavy Russian accept gave me my sticker. It really felt like it meant something. In any case, it's the most diverse place I've ever lived in terms of both economic and ethnic/nationality diversity. Not sure exactly what you mean by lifestyles, but in Hollywood anything goes. Literally. The people below us slept in coffins, and our neighbors included people who worked as characters at the Chinese Theater. My husband and I had less exotic office day jobs. There weren't a lot of families, but there were some. There's rent control in the older buildings, so presumably some of the economic diversity will continue even as more and more rich people move into the new luxury condos dotted around. Hollywood's not for everyone, but if you want diversity of all sorts you can certainly find it there.

Yucca Corridor, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California