Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloxy View Post
I also think that we can't expect people who are caught up in generational poverty to suddenly become A+ parents when their kids arrive. If you're working two jobs just to make ends meet and still aren't making ends meet, there's not a lot of time for helping with homework or other quality parenting tasks. If your parents didn't teach you the value of education you might not teach it to your kids either. Or maybe your parents were even worse and you're just continuing that lifestyle (alcoholism, abuse) And yet the opposite does happen. There are many fine examples of people struggling and raising their kids under bad circumstances and those kids turning out to be high achievers (higher achievers sometimes than their privileged counterparts in private schools).

I would never suggest that we just throw money at a problem and that will make it go away. Clearly that has not been working. But it just seems to me that there are kids (and parents) out there who want opportunities and deserve an equal chance--or could become motivated to seek them despite their circumstances--and we need to do a better job of figuring out who they are and helping them get that access. Some people will make good choices if the those choices don't always seem to be just out of reach for them (or are choices that aren't even on their radar because that's never the way things have been in their experience).

I also think that it's not just poor people who sometimes do a crappy job raising their kids. A whole generation of me-first, selfish little brats are being created at income levels of all kinds. I am really glad I am not an school teacher. :-)
rarely do I agree with you, but yes, it is not just the underpriveledged who do a poor job, it can be parents from many walks of life. It is still primarily the kids living in poverty that will end up on the streets..

Yes, there are many examples of kids from poor families that become successful. One of my favorite people, Ronald Reagan is a perfect example, same with Clinton for that matter and many of our leaders. It is still the exception and they did not become successful because of goernment handouts..In most cases they have one strong parent or a mentor that they learn to depend on...

As for a parent working 2 jobs to make ends meet, this does happen. As I mentioned and I have discussed with my granddaughter has her degree in education: most low income schools in any state have after school programs. Only so much can be done, we can not provide overnight care as well..I think if one checked the statistics (and I do not always trust stats) you would find these are not the kids that grow up to be criminals. It is the welfare kids followed by the kids who, for whatever reason end up on drugs..The kids who end up on drugs know the dangers, they choose to get involved anyway, teens know about birth control, they choose not to use it and many people at or below the poverty line know how to work the system. We do not need anymore programs for them...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM

749 posts, read 1,789,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
rarely do I agree with you, but yes, it is not just the underpriveledged who do a poor job, it can be parents from many walks of life. It is still primarily the kids living in poverty that will end up on the streets..

Yes, there are many examples of kids from poor families that become successful. One of my favorite people, Ronald Reagan is a perfect example, same with Clinton for that matter and many of our leaders. It is still the exception and they did not become successful because of goernment handouts..In most cases they have one strong parent or a mentor that they learn to depend on...

As for a parent working 2 jobs to make ends meet, this does happen. As I mentioned and I have discussed with my granddaughter has her degree in education: most low income schools in any state have after school programs. Only so much can be done, we can not provide overnight care as well..I think if one checked the statistics (and I do not always trust stats) you would find these are not the kids that grow up to be criminals. It is the welfare kids followed by the kids who, for whatever reason end up on drugs..The kids who end up on drugs know the dangers, they choose to get involved anyway, teens know about birth control, they choose not to use it and many people at or below the poverty line know how to work the system. We do not need anymore programs for them...

Nita
I agree. We need to stop the free hand outs. Maybe if these free programs went away; people would learn to stand on their own two feet. Too many do work the systems and will never do an honest days work. Why would they want to work as long as everything is given to them on a silver platter. That's what is wrong with our society.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I agree. We need to stop the free hand outs. Maybe if these free programs went away; people would learn to stand on their own two feet. Too many do work the systems and will never do an honest days work. Why would they want to work as long as everything is given to them on a silver platter. That's what is wrong with our society.
you know, unless we are native Americans all our families came from another country: they came for a better life, they did not expect handouts and they worked for everything they had. Not only did they work, they learned to speak English and they did everything they could, including teaching their kids responsibility, to make sure they had a better life..

There will always be some that need a handout, I do not want to see anyone starve, or be left to freeze on the streets..I think giving people a chance is what we all want, but most of these people do not want anything more than what is handed to them and they manage to teach thier kids the same thing.
I think nearly, if not all states have programs to help with computer skills, their are reading classes for adults, head start programs and pre-kindergarten,
planned parenthood for those who want information on family planning. I could go on and on, but most of us know what is out there.

Now, I think I will keep my mouth shut on this subject (at least for awhile)

Nita

Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know, unless we are native Americans all our families came from another country: they came for a better life, they did not expect handouts and they worked for everything they had. Not only did they work, they learned to speak English and they did everything they could, including teaching their kids responsibility, to make sure they had a better life..

There will always be some that need a handout, I do not want to see anyone starve, or be left to freeze on the streets..I think giving people a chance is what we all want, but most of these people do not want anything more than what is handed to them and they manage to teach thier kids the same thing.
I think nearly, if not all states have programs to help with computer skills, their are reading classes for adults, head start programs and pre-kindergarten,
planned parenthood for those who want information on family planning. I could go on and on, but most of us know what is out there.

Now, I think I will keep my mouth shut on this subject (at least for awhile)

Nita
Yes; I could go on and on too; but I think I'll stop now too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California