Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,475 times

Advertisements

im a local resident of lompoc ca. i lived here my whole life, its not as bad as people make it out to be any where you live its the same thing its what you make of it that counts. as far as gangs go everytown, city has them. crime is a part of life. the difference with lompoc is you dont have to worry about walking in the wrong side of the tracks. you go where you want not like other places where if youre in the wrong side of town lights out. its a nice place to raise a family because of this. its affordable to live here too. weather wise it does get foggy and cold but what do you expect its a coastal town. and as far as those choosing to live in buellton or solvang thats even more of a sad town and since its a tourist town its like been 10 again with a curfew lights out at 6pm. so yeah, im content with living here its where i call home and for those of you who bash my town say what you want but you always come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 171,394 times
Default 10 reasons NOT to move to Buellton

Does anyone know of 10 reasons NOT to move to Buellton?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,027 times
Lompoc has three major industries in a town of 40 thousand people...Vandenberg Air Force Base which comprises 50% of the Western Missile Range...A Diatomaceous Earth Mine Which is Slowly Starting to Phase out because of lack of product...and a Low Security Federal Prison...All things considered taht is a lot of opportunity for such a small town.

However the town has a terrible infestation of drugs, a small group of relatively harmless gang members who amount to a bunch of guys who smoke dope together and sell pot and meth...and not much in the way of amusement.

The town has plenty of opportunity for people and has larger metro areas like Santa Barbara within commuting distance...All in all you can't knock it...the one dispariging thing would be what an teenager will tell you after living there....there is nothing to do except get loaded.

Drug addiction in Lompoc is a serious problem...crime is a serious problem...the Lompoc Probation Office is completely overwhelmed by cases and the Lompoc Court system is packed with so many minor offenses that any and all major crimes must be routed to SM or SB because of the intense work load.

Lompoc has good things about and a whole hell of a lot of bad things about it....the blight which is centered on either side of H street and stretches from Ocean to North and from H to O is growing and jumping over lines that were once good neighborhoods.

As the wealthier people continue to move further and further from the center of town out towards the hills near Vandenberg Village expect to see the blight continue to expand through out the downtown area....Lompocs social ills are real and they are expanding....but drugs have much more to do with it than gangs.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reks View Post
im a local resident of lompoc ca. i lived here my whole life, its not as bad as people make it out to be any where you live its the same thing its what you make of it that counts. as far as gangs go everytown, city has them. crime is a part of life. the difference with lompoc is you dont have to worry about walking in the wrong side of the tracks. you go where you want not like other places where if youre in the wrong side of town lights out. its a nice place to raise a family because of this. its affordable to live here too. weather wise it does get foggy and cold but what do you expect its a coastal town. and as far as those choosing to live in buellton or solvang thats even more of a sad town and since its a tourist town its like been 10 again with a curfew lights out at 6pm. so yeah, im content with living here its where i call home and for those of you who bash my town say what you want but you always come back.
Would you say Lompoc gets as much wind and fog as Morro Bay?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,273,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Im not sure how much fog MB gets. But I honestly dont see that much fog here in Lompoc.Early morning marine layer and that usually burns off before noon. But FOG, the heavy kind, not too much ,and when there is its very early in the morn. And burns off also.

Greenchili

Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
Quote:
In my experience, Morro Bay gets more fog than Lompoc, but Lompoc gets more wind.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,273,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
In my experience, Morro Bay gets more fog than Lompoc, but Lompoc gets more wind.

I would say this is probably true!

Greenchili

Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Very Good! Now we can invest in wind farms for the area!!!!!!!

I wonder if you can provide wind power for your home and tell PG&E to take a hike??

Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
Quote:
Very Good! Now we can invest in wind farms for the area!!!!!!!

I wonder if you can provide wind power for your home and tell PG&E to take a hike??
Lompoc wind is not exactly "wind-farm" caliber, unfortunately. There is a prevailing onshore flow (10 - 15 mph, maybe?), but nothing like Tehachapi, Banning or Altemont.

I'm all for telling PG&E to take a hike. Or, better yet, being tied to the grid as a producer and having them credit me.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Lompoc wind is not exactly "wind-farm" caliber, unfortunately. There is a prevailing onshore flow (10 - 15 mph, maybe?), but nothing like Tehachapi, Banning or Altemont.

I'm all for telling PG&E to take a hike. Or, better yet, being tied to the grid as a producer and having them credit me.
As energy becomes more expensive in California, I think we all want to produce our own energy somehow.
My Grandfather lived off the grid in Wisconsin for many years. He used kerosene lamps, wood fired stoves and cooktops. He always felt self reliant and had a nice life. Maybe that is the life we are going back to as we ban the use of oil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California