Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 PM

350 posts, read 1,118,175 times

Advertisements

But maybe when the big one hits and part of California breaks off along the San Andreas fault into the ocean... maybe it'll take a lot of the blue with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,076,934 times
There is a new movement afoot.

A group has organized to try to split California into East and West California, creating 2 states based on differing political philosophies, lifestyles, and viewpoints.

The 13 counties from Marin through Los Angeles would be West, the rest of the state (including Orange and San Diego counties) would be East. The group uses the website downsizeca.org
Home Page

They want to put the proposal on the ballot sometime in the next 2 years.

While West California would get the majority of population, East California would control the majority of the water sources.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
There is a new movement afoot.

A group has organized to try to split California into East and West California, creating 2 states based on differing political philosophies, lifestyles, and viewpoints.

The 13 counties from Marin through Los Angeles would be West, the rest of the state (including Orange and San Diego counties) would be East. The group uses the website downsizeca.org
Home Page

They want to put the proposal on the ballot sometime in the next 2 years.

While West California would get the majority of population, East California would control the majority of the water sources.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it.
that is very interesting, it used to be thought the split would be north and south, somewhere above Bakersfield. I can't see Marin County and Los Angeles in the same state and San Diego in another..Still worth watching..I'll vote for it, but I don't think my vote will count..

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
Does that mean I need to move east?

I live in Ventura County and most of the people i know vote Republican. Our Congressman is republican, we just barely elected Tony Strictland into office though, so maybe we are on the border, either baby blue or pink.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,626,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is very interesting, it used to be thought the split would be north and south, somewhere above Bakersfield. I can't see Marin County and Los Angeles in the same state and San Diego in another..:
No more nonsensical than NYC being in the same state with Buffalo (which more logically would belong to Pennsylvania) and the Adirondacks,and in a different state than Hoboken and Jersey City....

Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,345 times
Will this happen? Why would they make 2 separate states? Maybe if CA keeps going really down hill financially?

Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
No more nonsensical than NYC being in the same state with Buffalo (which more logically would belong to Pennsylvania) and the Adirondacks,and in a different state than Hoboken and Jersey City....
very true, but from the beginning NY included Buffalo and CA includes Marin. I guess we could almost say the same about NWA and the rest of the state, so I guess most states are that was, northen VA and the rest of that state..

If just seems to be if Ca was to split it would make more sense to do it NO and So..probably a moot point as I doubt it will ever happen.

Nita

Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,083,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Does that mean I need to move east?

I live in Ventura County and most of the people i know vote Republican. Our Congressman is republican, we just barely elected Tony Strictland into office though, so maybe we are on the border, either baby blue or pink.
Ventura County is 50/50 blue/red. Guess there'll be a "red-scare" secession movement on a more local level coming soon too, eh?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 PM

303 posts, read 846,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Republicans such as Richard Riordan are the kind I like.
Same here! And I used to be a Republican when the party had more people like him.

I didn't leave the Republican Party; the Republican Party left me...

Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 PM

642 posts, read 3,074,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Ventura County is 50/50 blue/red. Guess there'll be a "red-scare" secession movement on a more local level coming soon too, eh?
They seem to exist quite nicely together and a nice mix. That to me is what America is all about a mixture of political thought and communication. Why is it that people feel as though it should be all of their way of thinking that they want to live amongst? How droll. How dull. Then eventually would be infighting amongst like minded and the world would get even smaller. Even lately the arts have gatekeepers that are majority lefties and dominated by leftist thought and presentation even though there are plenty of conservative minded artists. We all see too that the arts are getting less creative, less risk taking, and less interesting. The world just keeps getting smaller and smaller. The shrinking and oppression is against the nature of the essence of art itself. Art is a form of expression. We live in a diverse country, with a variety of political beliefs, as well as life experiences and moral values.

Americans need to wake the heck up. All points of view are interesting and dynamic no matter whether one agrees with them or not. We all have ideas and thoughts to share about the world and how we view it and also how we each experience the world. A fairly balanced community of thought is an interesting, rich community in my mind and in my experience. Tyranny of the majority is just that TYRANNY!

Ventura is a fortunate place. I know plenty of people from both sides of the political spectrum that live in Ventura and am very happy and better off for it. I myself am a staunch conservative. Yet I have many friends otherwise, many friends that identify as I do and many in between. Of course I think I am right on issues just as someone who thinks otherwise thinks they are right but we are all Americans and all blessed in many ways and hopefully--even though tested at times by the other--glad for one another. If for no other reason then to be saved from our own self righteousness and tyranny whether it be liberal, conservative, or anywhere in between.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 03-07-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California