Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Left, leaving or plan on leaving California, why?
Personal freedom under attack by state lawmakers 6 3.64%
The state is becoming too "liberal" 21 12.73%
Over crowding/immigration 35 21.21%
To live the "American Dream", home ownership/higher standard of living 22 13.33%
Life here is just too expensive! 45 27.27%
To retire with a higher standard of living 11 6.67%
No real reason/took a job/just needed a change of pace 10 6.06%
Another reason 15 9.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,030,474 times

Advertisements

^^ Sheri's right on this one. Big Business wants the cheap labor and Big Union wants the future members. Politicians on the Right are more likely to talk tough on illegal immigration but only slightly more likely to actually enforce the laws. Both parties are too afraid of losing the mythical Latino voting block.

In the meantime, polls consistently show that a vast majority of Americans of all races and ideologies want illegal immigration stopped.

When I said earlier that most of Conservatives' gripes about California could be traced to the liberal state government illegal immigration is part of that. Although Republicans are part of the problem, being softer on crime is a liberal trademark and to the extent that Republicans are unwilling to stand up against illegal immigration it is a liberal stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Crowded.
Traffic.
Rudeness.
Expense.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM

566 posts, read 1,941,478 times
We left a state where the one party government (Dems) have total control over the agenda. Best the Republicans can hope for is stalemate. So the Dems persue every crazy, liberal program they can think of. They beat up business owners, tax the successful, and brainwash your kids with their weird social agenda. While the roads remain a disaster, schools produce ignorant fools and the place deteriorates they pass laws telling you which light bulbs to use.

The result of all this may be becomming apparent to even the melon heads who can see that the glow is coming off the place. Finally got my sister and mother to leave. Two more native Californians heading for greener grass.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:32 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,617,880 times
Most of the schools were horrible in my area. ESL was everywhere right along with very low test scores.
The teachers union is not doing any good for the state, its citizens, or the students.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM

177 posts, read 815,657 times
I didn't like the public schools at all! That's the main reason I suppose! Also, rudeness.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 PM

363 posts, read 1,121,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I don't know why conservatives blame the state of California for illegals. They should blame their fellow conservatives. I live in an agricultural community where all of the big farmers are Republicans ... major contributors to the Republican party, in fact.

You can look it up online ... not one of them contributes to the Democratic party. And not one of them hires American workers either. Just drive by the fields they own and see for yourself.

Why do you think those farmers are contributing big bucks to the current Republican administration? And why do you think the current Republican administration isn't enforcing immigration laws ... which are federal, not state laws?

The blame lies with your fellow conservatives who hire these illegals ... not the state of California itself. And you're kidding yourself if you think you're not going to find illegals in other states well ... they've got the same problems elsewhere.
Both parties have failed miserably at immigration enforcement-I agree. The GOP because they covet the cheap labor, and the Dems because they see potential voters that subsequent amnesty will afford. Trouble is, once they're in country, the liberals want to offer perks (medical coverage, college tuition, etc.) that equal or exceed what the legal residents receive. I think we should all oppose that as taxpayers. I say save the stipends for legal citizens-regardless of race or national origin. Those folks or their ancestors have made the effort and earned the rights of US citizenship.

Oh, and I'm not "blaming" California for illegal immigration, merely pointing out the craziness of the self proclaimed Sactuary Cities (like SF) that want to pick and chose the federal laws they enforce; a trend that I believe challenges the very foundation of these "united" states. It's merely an example of an issue that inspires folks (like me) to leave CA-and in response to the question posed. You may or may not agree with it-that's absolutely up to you.

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me they have illegals immigrants in other states too? Well shoot, there goes that option; cancel the down payment on that Yuma property, will ya?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,297,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Trouble is, once they're in country, the liberals want to offer perks (medical coverage, college tuition, etc.) that equal or exceed what the legal residents receive. I think we should all oppose that as taxpayers.
I see the problem with the liberals as well. And I appreciate that you guys can see there's a problem on both sides of the fence here ... including your fellow conservatives.

But the bottom line is ... medical coverage and all of that other stuff wouldn't be happening if these Republicans weren't bringing these illegals here in the first place.

And, obviously, they're more than happy for taxpayers to pick up the bill because they certainly don't want to pay for health insurance, etc. for their workers.

I mention this not because I want to go off on some big immigration debate but because so many people say they're leaving California because of illegal immigration ...

People seem to think it's exclusively a liberal problem. But it's not. It's just as much a problem with the conservatives ... because these are the guys who bring them here by the millions.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 PM

240 posts, read 1,424,427 times
I'm fairly liberal on most issues, but I see the state rapidly declining, while at the same time the cost of most essential goods and services continue to escalate more rapidly than in other parts of the country. There are just too many people here: too many educated people and too many uneducated people. When you have a glut of workers, it lowers the rate of wages employers will be willing to pay because there is always a new crop coming in. So, wages remain low, while at the same time, rent continues to increase, and costs of essential goods and services like food, gasoline, car insurance, utilities etc. continue to escalate. I've worn myself out running around on my hampster wheel and never getting anywhere, so I am looking for the exit. I am going to find the American dream in a state where a house is still affordable.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM

44 posts, read 170,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I see the problem with the liberals as well. And I appreciate that you guys can see there's a problem on both sides of the fence here ... including your fellow conservatives.

But the bottom line is ... medical coverage and all of that other stuff wouldn't be happening if these Republicans weren't bringing these illegals here in the first place.

And, obviously, they're more than happy for taxpayers to pick up the bill because they certainly don't want to pay for health insurance, etc. for their workers.

I mention this not because I want to go off on some big immigration debate but because so many people say they're leaving California because of illegal immigration ...

People seem to think it's exclusively a liberal problem. But it's not. It's just as much a problem with the conservatives ... because these are the guys who bring them here by the millions.
Yeah, knock it off with the liberal bashing. George Bush doesn't want to persecute illegal immigrants either. Why? Because they' re good for the economy. They keep prices low! You think food is expensive now, just think how much it would cost if we paid these guys minimum wage.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,297,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
When you have a glut of workers, it lowers the rate of wages employers will be willing to pay because there is always a new crop coming in.
If you think wages are low here, you're likely to be very disappointed with other states because wages are even lower there.

May 2007 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Other states are cheaper for a reason, the workers make less money. Maybe you can come out ahead with the cheaper cost of living but, don't fool yourself into thinking there's more money to be made elsewhere because, generally, that's not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California