Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 PM

225 posts, read 470,999 times

Advertisements

Excellent update, Mr. Vaden. It looks like some more information has come to light lately in tracking down the identity of FR. Interestingly, FR complained and had my post above edited by a mod which contained the first and last name circulating amongst the redwood hierarchy associated with FR from Ventura. I'm sure you know which name I'm referring to.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,040,909 times
Think we can go one step more. Last December, I did some casual web-surfing to see whether any redwood photography on the internet came close to FRs as a sample to suggest what camera, lens or style may have been used. Didn't see much. But tonight, I came across 2 photos with very comparable look, style, exposure, etc.. I think the camera gear may have been much like the Nikon D800 used by a photographer who did some stuff for Save the Redwoods.

Going to add a bit more to my profile estimate of FRs, last added in reply #191

Quote:
1. Two people.

2. One with good or advanced computer, code, internet or technical skill

3. One with with reasonably good photography or exposure skill

4. Close proximity. 0 - 320 miles from Humboldt like, say, San Francisco / Forestville / Santa Rosa

5. Been to the Giant Sequoias too

6. Been to the Coast Redwoods at least monthly, even weekly

7. IP addresses are recorded in forum logs in some fashion

8. Name, vehicle or plate may be on a public record gate access log

9. May know more than letting on

10. Emailed / contacted some other who explores in some fashion at some point in time

11. At least one doesn't like, or afraid to make mistakes

12. Has some fear of the tree community individuals, but may be connected.

13. Big on facts, numbers and info. Would stand out to many as a "data-digger"

14. Void of accomplishments in the redwoods

15. Is willing to mislead or assume

16. Controlling (including talks, blog, email, etc..) Could appear well-intentioned

17. May, or may not have found Helios. Open-ended

18. Probably carries (d) a tripod / flash unit

19. Spotted from distance at Prairie Creek & near Founder's Grove

20. Short / medium hair

21. Possibly used Nikon D800 & lens similar to 14-28mm f/2.8

22. Redwood photo look and style very similar to this image link:

Redwood Photograph Example with Nikon D800
If you find any more redwood or big tree photos much resembling that type of look, exposure with decent focus, we would be interested.

The image below is what we are NOT looking for, where the white balance is more in harmony with redwood forest color. The link earlier is closer to what we are searching for, where the exposure is good, but the style leaves an orange-like or slight yellowish look.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-08-2016 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Vaden. I did a little scouting online to see if I could find a similar look to the photography on the FR pages and found several photos which caught my attention in addition to yours. Check these out:

Opposites Attract: Saving Giant Redwoods and a Pygmy Forest | Save the Redwoods League

https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Shoys-.../photos_stream

If you go through that 2nd link, you will see several photos which contain the same type of look.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:42 PM

Here are a couple of direct links to photos which resemble what you are looking from. These are from the album at the 2nd link above.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...be&oe=572813A1

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...23&oe=57242633

Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 PM

Here is a better version of that first photo. I think this is what you are looking for:

News Resources | Save the Redwoods League

Click on Land Projects and then enlarge the first picture.

This is the direct link:

http://www.savetheredwoods.org/wp-co..._7492_2_sm.jpg

I checked the EXIF info and that photo was taken with a Nikon D800.

Last edited by OldManWinter; 02-08-2016 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: added camera info

Old 02-09-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
Here are a couple of direct links to photos which resemble what you are looking from. These are from the album at the 2nd link above.
The candelabra looking redwood is very close to what we are looking for.

Wouldn't you say that the color / white balance, panoramic look and style seem similar to what FRs gear may have captured?

I was watching Ansel Adam's assistant's presentation, and another photographer ... this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00K7...st=WL&index=18

And both basically state that a photographer leaves themselves in their photos. A photographer's work is an extension of themselves. Photo can have a type of fingerprint.

So I'm trying to corral anything similar to FRs style to look at the works and possibly gear used.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-09-2016 at 12:32 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyawesometruthsayer View Post
I came in here to gloat about the fact that the superlative trees belong to us all now.
This is why I have my doubts about Point #17 on the list, Mr. Vaden. Totallyawesometroll aka FR really enjoys gloating and showing off. It must kill FR inside that they are not able to find and show off Helios on their site. There is no way they could have found that tree and not posted it. Because it must eat away at them inside and torture their soul. Everytime that FR looks at their own site, it completely embarrasses them and shames them to see two empty boxes with just shadow sketches. It disgraces them to their very core. I don't think they have found Helios.

On the other hand, I noticed an obscure reference to a finding of Apex on their site. The finding of that tree tells me that FR is a traitor from the inside. Everyone should scour their e-mails and contacts to see who has been given info and led to that tree.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM

10 posts, read 16,679 times
Those photos sure do look similar to FR.

After a quick glance through the photographer's work, he doesn't emphasize the redwoods in his collection of work besides a few here and there...

It also looks like his intentions are positive when it comes to the environment. Generally people with that attitude are first to learn, and then second to respond with harsh defense. I wouldn't expect him to be on the forum, maybe a simple reach out would be helpful and he would be understanding if it were him? You catch more flies with sugar.

That's one thing - We have the notion that the creator of FR is on this forum, but the reality is, this forum could be trolls that use the site, not the creator.

Some thoughts, thanks!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolson40 View Post
That's one thing - We have the notion that the creator of FR is on this forum, but the reality is, this forum could be trolls that use the site, not the creator.
FR is owned by "Thomas Davidson" of Ventura.

Also, the creator of FR is on this forum. He is making changes to his site as we go based on what he is reading on this thread.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolson40 View Post
Those photos sure do look similar to FR.

After a quick glance through the photographer's work, he doesn't emphasize the redwoods in his collection of work besides a few here and there...

It also looks like his intentions are positive when it comes to the environment. Generally people with that attitude are first to learn, and then second to respond with harsh defense. I wouldn't expect him to be on the forum, maybe a simple reach out would be helpful and he would be understanding if it were him? You catch more flies with sugar.

Some thoughts, thanks!

Others may think different, but I am not convinced that someone form FRs has to be posting in this forum or thread. But I am 99% certain that they read here. Recent updates were no coincidence. And its also evident that they will read anywhere that I post redwood conversation or photos, or have. They would have found this and ENTs forums in their quest, during their project. And would still continue. Because they would add more new trees if they could find them. So it neccesitates them following my (our) activity because they lack the ability to make new discoveries on their own.

In a nutshell, they are reading this thread even if not daily. Regarding posts, fair chance someone rubs shoulders with them. Or, shares the same mindset.

Regarding photographers, I'm open to work of other photographers too, that fits the style and look. There's just very little that fits the style and appearance. But anything similar is appreciated.

Back to whether FRs, this is also one of the first places the $5000 reward fund was revealed, which they will follow. But they would follow this regardless. That's why I haven't revealed photos, stats and other details for a bunch of incredible finds from 2014, 2015 and now 2016. If anything is said, others, including FRs will find it. So the simple solution is just to starve them out. They literally do not know where anything ranks anymore. They can only guess on old published articles and stuff.

A tiny handful of us in the "inner circle" put exploring into overdrive the past couple years, and as GOT and FRs emerged, we isolated new best discoveries to about 5 of us. Whether volume, height and extremely unusual. Old records are all I will talk about on my redwood pages now. New extremes will not be shown or explained. We may mention that a discovery was made, but not what.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-09-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California