Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 PM

94 posts, read 213,552 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house in Santa Rosa, possibly, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the "good" or the "bad" areas were (safe or unsafe). I'm looking at a place that's on Moorland Ave. right past W. Robles.

If you could tell me information about that area and all other areas of Santa Rosa, that'd be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM

324 posts, read 1,706,665 times
That would be one of the worst areas. Probably seemed like a good deal huh? Gangland pretty much there, and also avoid Roseland area. What exactly are you looking for? And how much do you have to spend?

Dynamic features include a database property search with full color photographs of listings in Sonoma County.

This house needs a little TLC but is in a nice neighborhood. It is on a cul de sac. Right across the street from a neighborhood park.

Last edited by calif; 07-21-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 10:44 AM

I can only afford up to about 250k.

Also, I talked to the current owners of the house when we went to tour it last, and he said it's safe... no gang activity.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 AM

21 posts, read 89,782 times
All gangland in that area. The high school that serves that area 'Elsie Allen High' has the highest teen pregnancy rate for any area north of SF. It would be a bad investment. Rohnert Park is just outside of SR and is a much safer town. SR has good areas, but for $250K, you could get a good condo, maybe in Bennet Valley or another good area.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM

Ha, I live in Rohnert Park, which doesn't have any houses (I don't want a condo or townhouse) for under 250k.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 PM

27 posts, read 199,676 times
If you live in RP, then I would suggest you drive through this neighborhood after dark. Check it out on a Friday or Saturday night. See if the SR Police Dept will give you some information on the types of calls they go to in that area. Ask any SR Police Officer what they think of that area.

What size rims do the cars have in the driveways? How many cars have tinted windows? How many fences are covered in "art work"? This is gang territory, no matter what the current owner says. He is trying to sell the house, remember.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM

324 posts, read 1,706,665 times
The owner was lying. When I was a teen I used to hangout in that area, little did I know at the time that I was partying with gang members!!! Yikes. Anyway, it hasn't changed. It is still full of gang activity, drive by shootings etc. Here is a link to one article letting you in on a little about your soon to be "neighbors". Search Moorland in the PD. Or ask some Santa Rosa cops or Sonoma county Deputies, they won't recommend it to you. Are you hispanic? I know that area used to be largely hispanic.

Teen arrested in connection with drive-by shooting | PressDemocrat.com | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

Old 08-10-2008, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,444 times
superqtip182, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm pre-approved for 230k and I've already put in a few offers for homes in Moorland (all of them rejected of course.) I always wondered if this area was any good. I start to get worried when someone says avoid this area but then they say something ignorant like "avoid Roseland." I lived in Roseland half my life WITHOUT INCIDENT. Sure there's pockets of Roseland I'd avoid, but overall it isn't half as bad as people say. But as long as the area is perceived as where all the "scary brown people" live, then so be it. It'll keep home prices low in a good area.

That being said, I've tried to learn more about this area. The older part right off Corby is Little Tijuana. Very run down and depressed. As you drive down to the newer subdivisions things seem a lot better. Sure there's "art work" but we have graffiti here in Rincon Valley (usually done by wannabe gangsters.) Other than that it doesn't have the slummy feel I get from other parts. I've driven through this area many of times at different parts of the day and night. Even on a Friday or Saturday night (9-midnight) it's always been quiet.

The opinions I've gotten for this area have been mixed. One of my friend's said she has a friend that lives in this area and says it's ghetto. She said it was full of gangbangers. When I asked her the pertinent question, "Well, has she been robbed?" The answer was no. I heard through another friend of a friend that lived in Moorland for 19 years and said it was fully of gangbangers and tweakers and she'd never move back there again. I spoke with the Sheriff Department and they said, "it isn't the best neighborhood." When I spoke to one of the sellers' kid, she said things used to be bad but the Sheriff has been cracking down and the area it improving a lot.

Honestly I could care less what the rag known as the Press Democrat says, they get a boner for any piece of sensationalist information they can get their hands on. Also, Santa Rosa is still below the national average when it comes to crime, I've lived in bigger cities where crime was much worse. I think I'm going to talk to the Sheriff's Department again to see what sort of crime goes on out there, and I'll probably do a walk around the neighborhood and try to talk to some of the neighbors to see what they think about the place.

Unfortunately Moorland is the only place that seems affordable for a house that doesn't need major work. And I don't even want to bother with a condo. The whole idea of paying mortgage on a place where I can hear my neighbors having sex doesn't appeal to me.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,981 times
Lightbulb lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by superqtip182 View Post
I'm looking to buy a house in Santa Rosa, possibly, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the "good" or the "bad" areas were (safe or unsafe). I'm looking at a place that's on Moorland Ave. right past W. Robles.

If you could tell me information about that area and all other areas of Santa Rosa, that'd be great.
I grew up on moorland and i can tell you that i feared for my life everyday and learned how to fight and see up coming bad events before they happened. Sur 13 is the gang that runs the street (blue). they'll graffitti your house, rob you, break your windows, they sell meth, and it continues. now if you live more by the south side or by barries market you can say, you'll be better off. its more country and you have your own land(acres). you should look at bennet valley, rincon valley, fountain groove, codding town, down town santa rosa, or any thing north

Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM

13 posts, read 63,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboydevs View Post
I grew up on moorland and i can tell you that i feared for my life everyday and learned how to fight and see up coming bad events before they happened. Sur 13 is the gang that runs the street (blue). they'll graffitti your house, rob you, break your windows, they sell meth, and it continues. now if you live more by the south side or by barries market you can say, you'll be better off. its more country and you have your own land(acres). you should look at bennet valley, rincon valley, fountain groove, codding town, down town santa rosa, or any thing north

I disagree i would stay away from the coddingtown area around west steele. Also staye away from west ninth apple valley indian village and parts of west third that are in northwest santa rosa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California