Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,224 times

Advertisements

How you doing guys? I just came across this forum to find out some information about planning a vacation trip itinerary to the beautiful state of California. I currently live in Miami, FL and I have always wanted to visit California and possibly move in there with my girlfriend, but I would like to go sight seeing first before actually packing up my stuff and move in.

I have a friend who works at Google and lives in San Francisco, he won't stop talking about how great life is down there, so basically my first stop would be in SF for a couple of days and then rent a car and branch out to different cities. Some of the places we would like to visit are either Big Bear Lake or Yosemite park, San Diego, either Napa Valley or Sonoma, and obviously LA. I have two weeks vacation here at work, I don't know if all of that can be done in two weeks or less but maybe I could compromise and stay less time in each area. Like I said earlier, I would be renting a car because I want to see the beautiful scenery and be able to stop if I see something of interest along the way.

As far as budget goes, I want to have a good time and be able to get my money's worth but not overdue it either (things are rougher these days). I can get the plane tickets through my AMEX miles and stay at my friend's house in San Diego for free.

What do you guys suggest would be the best route, time spent in each of the areas I've mentioned. Do you think 2 weeks max is enough time? around how much money would it cost a trip like this, and any other stops or places to visit would be very welcomed, thanx a lot in advance guys.

By the way I've planed this trip for October and we would also like to visit Six Flags theme park along the way.

Last edited by shalafi; 07-10-2008 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Shalafi,

I see that this is your first post. So my first recommendation is to fix all the markup errors in your text. It makes you post very hard to read through.

In answer to some of your questions the main thing to realize is that CA is a huge state, the best parts being the coast and mtns IMO. So here are my recommendations for a first time visit.

Must sees:
1. Big Sur Hwy 1 drive
2. Yosemite

Should see based on your potential move:
1. SD
2. SF

Nice to see as well if time permits:
1. Monterey/Carmel - just north of Big Sur
Monterey aquarium/17 mile drive
2. Santa Cruz
3. Kings Canyon, Sequoia NP
4. Sea World in SD

Things to skip:
1. LA - unless you are into a lot of traffic and the whole Hollywood tourist thing
2. Big Bear - 'Nothing' like the High Sierras (Yosemite, Kings Canyon, etc...).

- Derek

Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,224 times
Thanks a lot for taking time respond Derek, how do I clear my post? I just noticed all of the FONT size string commands, how did that happen?
Honestly if we were to skip LA it would be fine, is Napa Valley a good place to visit during October? my girlfriend is dying to go there as well.

Thanx.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:27 AM

105 posts, read 469,878 times
Well glad to hear you want to visit California. As you already know it's impossible to categorize this massive state. One man's dream vacation could be another man's nightmare so I will not tell you to skip anything. This state has a endless supply of activities that you will not be able to do in 2 weeks. I grew up here and I have barely cracked the surface, for example I live less than an hour away from Napa but have never been. So my advice to you is pick a section of Cali to visit, especially where you have connections. In your case, Northern California would be get a good start since you have a friend in S.F.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
1) LA-Hollywood: universal studios, Disney Land and Disney California Adventure
2) OrangeCounty-Knotts Berry Farm
3) San Diego-Sea World
4) Fresno-Yosemite
5) SF-chinatown, alcatraz island, japantown, the metreon, downtown, fisherman's wharf, ghiradelli square, pier 41
6) San Jose-Raging Waters, The Tech Museum
7)Riverside, San Bernadino-Court Street Square, Castle Park
8)Sacramento: the capitol

Others:
Cannery Row in Monterey
Santa Cruz Boardwalk
San Luis Obispo Farmers Market and Pismo Beach Dunes
Santa Barbara Downtown

Last edited by the city; 07-10-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
2. Big Bear - 'Nothing' like the High Sierras (Yosemite, Kings Canyon, etc...).
I agree with Derek. Big Bear Lake is nice and I don't want to anger anybody who lives there, but with your limited time you should see Yosemite Valley instead, if you can get it in your itinerary. Big Bear is like city mountains and Yosemite is like awesome, knock you dead scenic mountains. The only thing I've ever seen to top Yosemite is the Grand Canyon, which trumps every other geological feature on the planet!

If I were you I'd spend the most time in SF and SD since you have friends there to stay with, and spend a few days in LA seeing city things and our beaches.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 PM

167 posts, read 492,402 times
If you're going to be driving from SF to LA/SD, make sure you take the scenic 101 route, and not the inland 5. It's more curvy and may take a little more time, but it's worth it.

As for Big Bear, it's nice, but nothing special in the summer. It's pretty much Southern Californians' means of skiing in the winter without having to go too far away.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:35 PM

324 posts, read 1,706,665 times
Napa is beautiful in October. Six Flags Vallejo is just minutes from there. There is a great "green" place to stay in American Canyon called Gaya. THat is in between Napa and Vallejo. If you are into wine tasting take a full day or two and check out all the wineries and make reservations ahead of time at one of the great restaurants they have there. Mustards, Meadowood (St. Helena), Go Fish (great Sushi)etc.

2 weeks should be enough time for you to make several stops. California is a huge state though, so make sure you plan wisely. LA is overated in my opinion, takes you 2 hours just to get across town, and it really isn't worth it...

Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif View Post
LA is overated in my opinion, takes you 2 hours just to get across town, and it really isn't worth it...
You won't get any argument from me. The beaches and hills are pretty, see the Hollywood sign just so you can remember you saw it when you see it on TV and in the movies, maybe cruise Sunset Blvd. once on a Friday/Saturday night to look at the freaks... er... to watch people. Actually I don't even understand why LA has a viable tourism business. Perhaps it's that I'm not into theme parks or shopping.

I like the coast between SF and LA, like Moro Bay ... And the High Sierras both eastern and western slopes. Death Valley is great! Not so good for those who aren't desert lovers.

Everything considered I'd rather be in San Diego than LA. Maybe I'd move to SD if the CA government wasn't so crazy and the living expenses so high. I doubt I can make my retirement work without cutting my expenses and that means leaving CA.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:28 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Sf Bay Area - 3-4 days (try to check out the coast north of SF in Marin and Sonoma Counties)
Napa/Sonoma - 1 day (wineries are wineries, a day trip from SF should be enough)
Yosemite - 2 days
Central CA coast from Monterey down through Big Sur to Santa Barbara - 2-3 days (1 day in Monterey/Carmel, 1 day for driving Highway 1, and 1 day in SB).
LA - 2 Days (skip Disneyland and Universal Studios since you have better versions in FL anyways. Try Six Flags Magic Mountain, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and Malibu.)
SD - 2-3 days (On your way to SD get off in Newport Beach and take the coast down to San Diego, south OC coast is very nice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California