Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:31 PM

11 posts, read 12,224 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I'm a remote worker and am considering a move to Solvang.

I've visited before and really enjoyed it. I absolutely LOVE Scandinavian literature and culture. (Hans Christian Andersen is actually my favorite author!) I know Solvang isn't exactly authentic, but I also don't think it's claiming to be. Personally, I appreciate its tribute to European cultures, its unique architecture, and its "Danish Disneyland" vibes.

Anyway, visiting is of course different than actually living there! I'm planning to stay for a month to see for myself, but would also like to hear from current/former locals.

Really, what I'm looking for is a beautiful, walkable, homey town with a strong community to get involved in. Is Solvang like this? When the tourists aren't around, what is Solvang like for locals?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:10 PM

102,522 posts, read 109,147,185 times
You should consider whether you want to live in a small town that gets mobbed with tourists regularly. If you go there to try it out, talk with an RE agent to look at areas of town that are away from the tourist traffic.

Old Today, 04:44 PM

26,970 posts, read 27,260,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeau View Post
When the tourists aren't around, what is Solvang like for locals?
Don't forget that Solvang is in Santa Barbara County, so most people in L.A. know of it only if they visit as a tourist.

Old Today, 05:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 856,965 times
I haven't lived in Solvang, but have visited enough to recognize the tourist town dynamic I know from growing up in the Monterey Bay area.

Small tourists towns have a clearly demarcated line between local and tourist -- nothing personal, just a matter of survival. With mobs of visitors coming and going, one needs to know who's reliable vs who's just passing through.

A handful of wealthy local families own most of the tourism infrastructure: hotels, restaurants, wineries, etc. These are family run affairs with the adult children overseeing various aspects of the business. There's a certain amount of mutual respect/professional cooperation between these families. They are very insular. The only way in is to grow up with one of the kids, marry in, or buy/start a business that they care about.

Whereas the vast majority of locals are working in some form or another in the service industry. These jobs don't pay well relative to the cost of living. Many of these families have lived in the area for generations and are barely making it. As a remote worker you may experience resentment about bringing your large salary to their town and driving up the cost of living. That, and a sense that you're doing it wrong... visitors are supposed to spend money then go home.

Regardless, everyone understands that tourism is the life-blood of the local economy, and so the priority is to bolster this as much as possible. Locals know the image the town projects is a performance. I'm not saying there are no Scandinavians or that no one has an appreciation for Scandinavian culture, but don't go in expecting that the community remotely resembles a small non-tourist town. Everything is part of the brand and locals of all socioeconomic levels are willing actors on the stage.

I'm not trying to discourage you from giving it a try. Visiting for a month is a good start. But as a new remote worker largely removed from the primary local industry it's going to take a lot longer to integrate. Getting involved in a church or non-profit or other community organization would help. If you have kids in school this also tends to help. Start following the local news channels on social media or whatever news feed you use to get a better sense for what's really going on beyond what tourists see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California