Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 11:03 AM

3,312 posts, read 1,724,870 times

Advertisements

There shouldn't be charging stations that resembles gas stations. There should be public charging points everywhere just like parking meters.

One should be able to go to a supermarkets and have charging spots there and anywhere you drive to.

The beauty of EV is not being limited to going to a station to charge, it's the freedom of having your own home chargers and be able to charge anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 11:30 AM

2,101 posts, read 1,032,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
There shouldn't be charging stations that resembles gas stations. There should be public charging points everywhere just like parking meters.

One should be able to go to a supermarkets and have charging spots there and anywhere you drive to.

The beauty of EV is not being limited to going to a station to charge, it's the freedom of having your own home chargers and be able to charge anywhere.
There are such places to charge. The biggest issue is they're poorly maintained, lots of out-of-order units. And though not fatal, the different providers of these stations all have their own apps to use and it can get a little cumbersome. And "find a charger" apps are less than optimal. Not very well developed or kept up to date.

I am an EV owner.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Cue the ICE lovers to rage … (*vroooom!*)
This is the crux of your intent on this topic.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:41 AM

7,987 posts, read 3,926,362 times
Tesla Is Pulling Back From EV Charging, and People Are Freaking Out
Widespread layoffs within the Tesla unit are a blow to efforts to build out a national charging network

https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/t...-out-ee8e490c#. (probably behind a paywall).

Quote:
Tesla’s move this week to lay off much of the team responsible for creating the largest and most successful electric-vehicle charging network in the U.S. threw the industry into a state of shock and confusion.

The layoffs halted construction work at a dozen Supercharger sites in Texas. In New York, property owners in negotiations with Tesla were told the company was withdrawing from discussions about adding chargers to their sites.

The upheaval comes as the EV industry struggles with sluggish sales growth and a bumpy rollout of a national highway-charging network.

The Tesla layoffs were sweeping and included employees in the sales force to those overseeing the construction of charging sites, according to people familiar with the decision. Contractors and executives at other automakers that have partnered with Tesla on charging described widespread confusion over the future of Tesla’s charging business.

Some of those laid off woke up Tuesday morning to find themselves locked out of the company computer system and learned about the layoffs in messages to their personal email accounts.

On X, Musk wrote that Tesla still plans to add to the Supercharger network, “just at a slower pace for new locations and more focus on 100% uptime and expansion of existing locations.” Musk has been cutting employees in an effort to slash costs amid falling sales and slowing demand for electric vehicles.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:40 PM

7,987 posts, read 3,926,362 times
This smug EV driver came up to me & asked how much it cost me to fuel up my ICE car. Oh about 5 minutes, that is what I told him.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:42 PM

21,773 posts, read 16,435,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
This is the crux of your intent on this topic.
I see …. Instead of contributing any “original thoughts” of your own, as you suggested I should have done … and instead of responding to my observation [that the articles I linked covered some salient points with regard to the comparisons suggested between ICE fueling stations and electric charging stations] - you’ve decided to make a second snarky comment about me.

Got it. Way to stay on-topic!

Have a nice day though and enjoy your electric vehicle. (I drive a diesel, btw. Although I have MacGyver’d together a cool electric drive for one of my boats!)

Old 05-01-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
This smug EV driver came up to me & asked how much it cost me to fuel up my ICE car. Oh about 5 minutes, that is what I told him.
Meanwhile, he likely ‘fuels up’ his car mostly at home while he’s sleeping …

Old 05-01-2024, 06:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 6,923,101 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, he likely ‘fuels up’ his car mostly at home while he’s sleeping …
Wait until it overheats....

Even the firemen have a new way of fighting these toxic fires...."Let it burn."

Old 05-01-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Wait until it overheats....

Even the firemen have a new way of fighting these toxic fires...."Let it burn."
Good call. It happens. And appropriate to throw into this thread, especially since the argument about commercial charging stations is always going to be challenged for validity by virtue of home-charging.

That said, here’s a commentary by the insurance industry with direct regard:

Electric vehicles: What risks do they pose to homes?
Chubb risk consulting officer shares tips on how to mitigate EV exposures

… “Charging stations are equipped with safety devices such as GFCIs, which are ground fault circuit interrupters […] which will identify if there’s a short in the electric and will cut the charger off to minimize the risk,” said Naughton. “There is a risk of electric shock and electrocution, but there are certain safeguards that are automatically built into the equipment, so the risks are typically low.
https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com...es-401772.aspx

But maybe now back to my suggestion that we reduce global population to under 1 billion (under 500,000 million would be preferable…) and return to using donkeys and carts. Lovely creatures, donkeys.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
(I drive a diesel, btw. Although I have MacGyver’d together a cool electric drive for one of my boats!)
Oh how cute, a humblebrag (or attempt at one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: