Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2023, 02:40 PM

994 posts, read 966,924 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at places to call home for a little while, just for a temporary move. I've narrowed it down to the western sierra foothills anywhere from the middle of california and north. Looking for the more populated towns that are more likely to have jobs available. I would drive 30 mins or so to a bigger town if I had to, but prefer the cooler temps of the foothills compared to the valley areas. (I have only spent time in Grass Valley / Nevada City which I liked, but have seen pictures with lots of snow, looking to avoid that)

I have glanced at Sonora, Midpines, Mariposa, Murphys and some others. I dont want to be snowed in for days so not wanting to go much higher in elevation than the foothills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 03:23 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
If every year was like last year, I'd say avoid all areas in the lower foothills and up but it's not. There will be years you'll see a little snow but that will usually melt off in a day or so. Lower foothill towns will experience that normally. Even a place like Murphy's, their motto is "Above the fog and below the snow line," but it's not true. It's more common for Murphy's to have snow than not.

You just have to figure out how much you're willing to live with and then go from there. If you have an aversion to the white stuff and the thought of having any snow for more than a day, you'd best pick a place closer to sea level.

Old 07-10-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
If every year was like last year, I'd say avoid all areas in the lower foothills and up but it's not. There will be years you'll see a little snow but that will usually melt off in a day or so. Lower foothill towns will experience that normally. Even a place like Murphy's, their motto is "Above the fog and below the snow line," but it's not true. It's more common for Murphy's to have snow than not.

You just have to figure out how much you're willing to live with and then go from there. If you have an aversion to the white stuff and the thought of having any snow for more than a day, you'd best pick a place closer to sea level.
I don't mind some snow, just not multiple feet upon feet of snow or anything close to what Mammoth Lakes got.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:11 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Gotta budget in mind?

Old 07-10-2023, 07:44 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I don't mind some snow, just not multiple feet upon feet of snow or anything close to what Mammoth Lakes got.
Okay. Got it. Much like me. I wouldn't mind a little snow myself. Where I'm at, I don't see any but that doesn't keep me from wishing for it every year.
Yeah, you won't get as much snow in the foothill towns as Mammoth Lakes. That's over 7K ft elevation. You will get snow but, as I said, unless it's a year like we had last year, it doesn't usually stick longer than a day or two.

Grass Valley is nice. I'd move there if I was so inclined. I like areas in El Dorado County, too. Sonora in Tuolumne County is also pretty good. That's grown over the years so it's not so much of a small town. It doesn't get much snow, if any, during a normal winter. Up the highway towards Twain Harte and you will see a little more. Although, it's a beautiful part of the state.

Truthfully, all those small towns that run along Hwy 49 (The Golden Chain) have something to offer. They're rustic, yet somewhat modern, lots of history and aren't as populated as places in the valley. You could even look around areas in Amador County, as well.

Without really knowing what you need exactly, except that you're willing to drive 30 minutes, I can only assume you want something quieter yet not too remote, but access to amenities and weather that isn't too severe, no matter what season. The foothills are a good choice. You get a bit of every season. I'm fond of Pioneer. It's not too far from Jackson but I don't like Jackson. I don't know what it is about that town but I just don't care for it. Sutter Creek, also in Amador County is quaint and still small, though. A little tricky getting to the highway.

Placerville, in El Dorado County isn't bad. Hwy 50 runs right through it so getting to Sacramento is pretty easy.

Mariposa is closer to Yosemite than the others I mentioned and while it does have a lot of amenities, it's just too darned hot for my liking and gets almost zero snowfall (but will get some on occasion). The people are very nice. I consider Mariposa one of the gateways to Yosemite even though there are others. If you're into hiking and outdoors, you could gravitate in that direction.

I don't know. I'm rambling now because there's a lot of places to live that will suit whatever your heart desires. But, if you're into fly-fishing, and you don't want to live in the far northern part of the state, Sonora or a nearby town of Columbia is good and if you follow the highway up 108, you can find some sweet places for that.

The Sierra has a plethora of activities for all seasons. If you're looking to rent for a while (you said this was temporary), I can send you some links for good property management companies. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Gotta budget in mind?
not really. I dont plan to buy a home or even rent a traditional housing. More like a room/room mate deal or live on RV property.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I like that at least you know what you are looking for.
So many people settle for less when there is so many nice areas to choose from.

There are a lot seniors in nice places with extra dwellings on their property that are very much open to having another person around.
It can be a win win deal for both.
Good luck to you.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Complete Map of Historic Hwy 49

Check out Auburn - one of the bigger towns in the Sierra foothills on Interstate 80. It's at 1200 feet above sea level and doesn't get much snow.

Old 07-12-2023, 04:49 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,835 times
I would recommend the Jackson-Sutter Creek area of Amador County. They get only a dusting of snow every now and then.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I like that at least you know what you are looking for.
So many people settle for less when there is so many nice areas to choose from.

There are a lot seniors in nice places with extra dwellings on their property that are very much open to having another person around.
It can be a win win deal for both.
Good luck to you.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California