Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will California run out of water?
Yes by 2025 or sooner 5 16.67%
Yes by 2030 3 10.00%
No, California will find a way around this 16 53.33%
Not sure 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 04:07 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Norcal/Centcal - No.

Socal:

Coasts:
Agriculture - Probably not. Some crops might not be worth planting during drought years.
Housing - No.

Inland:
Agriculture - Probably not but crop reduction might happen in parts of the SJ valley at times.
Housing - Some small depressed towns might disappear. Major cities won't.

Our coastal town is adequately supplied with potable water, even with the population growing and us being in pretty severe drought. Water rates are elevated, but not all that high. With the present rates, the city has enough money to build a new desalination/reclamation plant to ensure drinking water supply into the future, no matter the weather conditions. If it just never rained ever again, only a moderate rate increase would be necessary to expand the plant to meet all our water needs.

What is actually going to happen is that there will be an El Nino year (or three) and everyone is going to be talking about floods, mudslides and then fires again (due to fuel growth in rainy years), in SoCal.

I actually prefer the drought. Everything is nice and stable when it doesn't rain much. I'd rather pay extra for desal ocean water than have to worry about fires and mudslides. Also the roads fall apart in the rain.
That's not what happened in the 2015 El Nino year. The there was a high-pressure zone over the entire state and southern OR up through about Roseburg, that kept all the rain away, pushing it farther north. California can no longer take El Nino-year rain for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 04:09 PM

899 posts, read 517,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
1) California is next to the Pacific Ocean.

2) California has the $$$$$.

3) California is very important economically.

4) California is a major agricultural region.

So No,California will find a way around this
Being an important agricultural region, the businesses have an incentive to find a solution.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Being an important agricultural region, the businesses have an incentive to find a solution.
And yet, they're not even trying, hardly. Ag's reaction is to pump more groundwater, until the ground sinks out from under them. There's no long-range planning in the state, except in restoring wetlands as buffers against eventual sea-level rise.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:28 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
I disagree with almost everyone who's posted here regarding CA being just fine and no water scarcity. GIVE ME A BREAK. CA's main rivers are drying up, yet each and every one of you is acting like its no issue. CA is officially going down the toilet.
Well, then problem solved! If the state dries up, it can’t go down the toilet anymore!

*flushing sound gurgles and postings cease*

Old 06-18-2022, 04:34 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,111 times
I was ok with the drought until this.... https://www.npr.org/2022/06/17/11054...climate-change
I'm on the hunt for a case

Old 06-18-2022, 05:41 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,449,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course the almond industry would dispute that.

Not the "almond industry", the agricultural industry and as I said, meat has a much larger water footprint than crops.

But I'm still curious what all the people who want to blame nut growers suggest they shift their efforts into which will still be profitable enough to spend the water on in the first place? It'd be like owning a book store and being given the choice to sell nothing but books about tax law vs. the latest from the best sellers list. Kind of a no-brainer for anyone with any sort of business sense.

Old 06-18-2022, 05:47 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,449,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I was ok with the drought until this.... https://www.npr.org/2022/06/17/11054...climate-change
I'm on the hunt for a case

I just tossed some out at my work. Various half used bottles. They'd been in the fridge forever and looked a little off.

Anyway, from that article: He said that if the drought continued, it was likely that prices for other foods from the region like avocados, tomatoes and meat would rise as well. I can live without sriracha (there's better) but no tomatoes would be a disaster. And we've had that happen before.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Not the "almond industry", the agricultural industry and as I said, meat has a much larger water footprint than crops.

But I'm still curious what all the people who want to blame nut growers suggest they shift their efforts into which will still be profitable enough to spend the water on in the first place? .
You're saying, that the only way farmers can support their families, is by growing almonds? That's clearly not true; they were doing ok before switching to almonds. Many still grow strawberries (CA is #1 producer in US), lettuce, oranges, tomatoes, hay, etc.

Why should California sacrifice its failing water supply, so China's billions of people can have almonds? They could switch to organic vegetables, which some already have been growing. Those farmers don't need to switch to almonds, because organics pay well enough.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-18-2022 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-18-2022, 06:22 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Just got my water bill today.

Water: ........................$19.20
Sewer: .......................$35.93
Monthly base charge: $27.81
Trash:.........................$22.03

My water is the cheapest item on my water bill.

Jus' sayin'...

Old 06-18-2022, 06:43 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times
Its interesting though most communities in CA never suffered through rolling water outages like they do rolling power blackouts despite all that fear talk , but some places in other parts of the country and world does even though they may get more ran. In those places most buildings need and are equipped with their own water storage tanks, in larger buildings on rooftops in houses free standing.

I read our southern neighborhor had suffered serious water outage for the TJ area the largest metro in Baja California twice last decade. I guess they really need water storage there too.

Its really interesting they worn residents with mandatory water restrictions while large streams of water is being poured out for dust control at nearby construction sites and industries likely more water in minutes than the average domestic household uses in months. Its also interesting as if you move jobs than people would follow, thus it boils down whether CA is still enticing water hungry industries to come in thus inviting more population to migrait to CA while telling residents they must cut back.

I just heard San Diego County is telling people there is no issue with water supply(thanks to the desalination plant in Carlsbad) and no restricitons despite what the
state might say but today there was a letter saying mandatory water restrictions in a municipal irrigation district in SD county whats up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California