Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 AM

207 posts, read 801,610 times

Advertisements

If money was not any kind of determining factor in moving, how many would elect to move out of CA because of the threat of a big quake?

The postings on this site that refer to quake activity tend to be extremely philosophical, but I do not know if this is because of complacency or the inability to make the move. The magnitude of a large quake is bad enough, but who is to say that the duration of a quake is going to only and always be limited to 1-minute? And who is to say that the amount of aftershocks will be only a few of lesser magnitude?

The predictiion for So CA is for the most part due to the fact that it has gone without a large quake for an extended period, which does not bode well; and then again ~ it may never happen despite the propensity.

But since daily life is better spent without a constant cloud over one's head, whether it be tornadoes or quakes or floods, if the free choice to move to an area that does not automatically have a prediction in place of this kind were an option ~ how many would not waste one minute in leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,998,307 times
What's with all the earthquake posts lately?

Earthquakes were never a factor for me, in fact where I moved to (Colorado) and where I am considering moving to (Alabama) weather related (icy roads) are much riskier than earthquakes.
I'd also bet that earthquakes are not a factor for 99% of Californians and 99.99% of City Data posters. Unless one has a phobia, I don't think it matters much. There are a lot of other reasons why people are considering leaving California.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,592,543 times
I once read that Californians live in a state of "collective denial", meaning that yes, we're aware that there are earthquakes here, but we're able to push it to the back of our minds. Part of the problem is that most of (myself included) have no concept of what a huge earthquake feels like. I've felt two medium sized earthquakes in my life, but I really have no idea what a big earthquake (like San Francisco in 1906 or Anchorage, AK in 1964) would be like. I've heard the stories - the earth shook for up to five minutes in Alaska, for example - but I can't internalize that. That's probably a good thing, because I'd never be able to sleep at night!

As in all things, we prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 AM

36,707 posts, read 67,800,744 times
Earthquakes are not a factor at all to me.

I was a 10th grader during the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989 and honestly I thought my brother was doing jumping jacks until the house really started swaying back and forth-it wasnt really scary but rattled nerves I guess, and that was a 7.0-not that isnt a serious thing, cause people died but 99.9999999999999999% of us came out just fine.

Out of staters seem so preoccupied with earthquakes? Its somewhat amusing.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM

483 posts, read 2,098,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Earthquakes are not a factor at all to me.

Out of staters seem so preoccupied with earthquakes? Its somewhat amusing.
There's a phobia for every state here on City-Data.
Here we don't have quakes, we have SNAKES! OMG!
(not really, but people are always asking about them)

They are fun to read.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:48 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,817,059 times
when i move out of california it is going to be because of housing being to expensive and not because of earthquakes. honestly, southern california is the best place in the world to live. you have every activity you can think of(including being within a few hours of skiing in snow and swimming in the ocean) and perfect weather yearround(barring these 100+ temp heatwaves a few times a year, but that is tolerable).

Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,378,874 times
Up here in Gold Country there are no major fault lines or history of earthquakes. Every now and then the caldera around Mono Lake shakes and we get a tiny little feel for what that's about. A lot of CA isn't affected at all by EQ's.

I think there's too many of you standing in one spot, the earth just can't handle the pressure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: