Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 AM

47 posts, read 155,683 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are strongly considering moving from seattle Wa. to the San Diego area. I have been doing research on affordable areas. Chula Vista keeps comming up on my searches. It seems for around 400K you can get a decent house. That is they look decent on the internet. what is Chula Vista like? I have 2 children ( 9 & 4) my wife is a nurse and I am a teacher. I also work parttime at The Cheesecake Factory for extra cash. We really want to live the beach lifestyle. I play volleyball, and have surfed 10 or so times but would really ike to do it more. Is Chula Vista a safe, affordable , beach type environment? Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
Chula Vista has its areas, both good and bad. The entire area known as "South Bay" is often times seen by North county San Diegans as terrible, but it's a bit of a stretch, and is a more old-fashioned opinion (it's indeed come quite a way over the past 10 years).

It's also not really "beachy" because the water frontage is that of the bay, not the ocean, but it's a pretty close drive to Imperial Beach.

The rougher parts are closer to the 5, and there is a certain amount of gang activity there, and going farther East will take you to newer areas, with the area East of the 805 being very nice and new, and some neighborhoods pretty upscale, including the development of Eastlake. If you're considering public schools, I'd go to the Eastern side of CV, but that's not to say that the rest is terrible (the schools might be)... but you will hear that from some folks.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
I agree with the previous poster. Chula Vista has some nice parts, particularly the new development in east Chula Visa that is 10+ miles from the ocean, but it also has some rough parts (probably the roughest neighborhoods in San Diego in terms of gang activity). I think you would be well served at spending a few days getting a feel for the neighborhoods and whether you feel comfortable with the home prices in the neighborhoods that interest you. SD home prices are falling, but they are still pretty expensive (more expensive than Seattle, I would guess). You might consider renting and waiting to see if prices fall a bit further.

As for beach communities, there are lots of great places to live near the beach but they will usually all run you more than a comparable inland area. Imperial Beach might be the most "affordable" beach community but it is not the bargain it once was.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I agree with the previous poster. Chula Vista has some nice parts, particularly the new development in east Chula Visa that is 10+ miles from the ocean, but it also has some rough parts (probably the roughest neighborhoods in San Diego in terms of gang activity).
Agreed. CV has some really nice areas and some bad ones, too. You can't go wrong moving there or you could be setting up yourself up for an early funeral. It's a dichotomy. The Chargers will wind up in Chula Vista if they don't move to Los Angeles, which is a very real possibility.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM

30 posts, read 87,822 times
"CV ...has (probably the roughest neighborhoods in San Diego in terms of gang activity)."

Uh, no. Not even close.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Your wife shouldn't have a problem finding a job, but you will. Teachers are getting pink slips, but you can work as a substitute.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times
As someone who once moved from Seattle to San Diego, I would say absolutely do not buy a thing and especially in Chula Vista until you have gotten a sense overall of the huge cultural differences in the two areas. When I say sense I mean live there awhile!! Rent. Southern California especially that close to the border is worlds away from the reality of Seattle. It is anyway but it really is there.

Since it sounds as though you would like to be near the water but also can afford $400,000 for housing, you will need to be creative. The other posts that talk about specific areas of Chula Vista are worth minding and should be a great help in orienting you away from the really bad parts and closer to housing that you will feel more comfortable in but also will be in your price range. If Chula Vista does not work a condo or townhouse closer in to San Diego and the ocean might be just the change you are looking for.

I would strongly suggest you look Chula Vista over in person before you even consider renting.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 05-21-2009 at 12:33 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 03:34 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luauelvis View Post
Hi all, my wife and I are strongly considering moving from seattle Wa. to the San Diego area. I have been doing research on affordable areas. Chula Vista keeps comming up on my searches. It seems for around 400K you can get a decent house. That is they look decent on the internet. what is Chula Vista like? I have 2 children ( 9 & 4) my wife is a nurse and I am a teacher. I also work parttime at The Cheesecake Factory for extra cash. We really want to live the beach lifestyle. I play volleyball, and have surfed 10 or so times but would really ike to do it more. Is Chula Vista a safe, affordable , beach type environment? Thanks in advance for any info.
The area is not anything like Seattle, so I agree in that you would need to get a feel for the area before you make a permanent move there..... And yes, teachers are getting pink slips left and right and restaurants are not doing the business they once were, either. Nurses are needed everywhere.

There are some decent-looking areas on the inland side of Oceanside...(across I-5)....maybe that might be an option..... Anything near the Camp Pendleton area, (which starts at San Clemente, even though the entrance is several miles south), will have a lot of Marines....Oceanside, Vista, etc.

The question is: do you speak Spanish? Imperial Beach and Chula Vista are very close to Mexico..... There are plenty of illegals and yes, gangs for sure..... Oceanside also has gangs. Which areas? You'd have to ask somebody who lives there.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 AM

105 posts, read 298,298 times
There's a Cheesecake Factory in Chula Vista OP. Just saying, in case you wanted to work there full time before finding a job as a teacher.

I agree with what everyone has said about Chula Vista. It has it's great spots and it's rough spots--keep to Bonita, Eastlake, or Otay Ranch, and you should be fine, and you'll find a great deal on a house. There is a large military community that lives in East CV, and it's really very family friendly. The drive to Imperial Beach and Coronado isn't bad at all. We live in Coronado now, and spend a lot of time in CV, going to the movies, malls, restaurants, shopping, etc. We love it out there, and the schools are pretty decent.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 87,994 times
In a word, no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California