Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2020, 01:11 PM

109 posts, read 83,450 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone. Some background on me: 20M, black, straight, agnostic with an interest in Buddhist philosophy and left-leaning centrist but nothing extreme. I am currently finishing EMT training(waiting for class completion certificate before being allowed to do the NREMT test) and after that I plan on relocating to the Central California area(have lived in Solano County since I was 14). I've enquired about Fresno before which I know is the more larger metro area but wanted to broaden my scope and am curious about Visalia and the surrounding areas:

-Now from what I've looked at, there definitely don't seem to be many black people, but that honestly doesn't matter to me as long as people don't give me problems for how I look.

-As far as employment, I know Visalia has it's own American Ambulance division and then there is Imperial Ambulance in Porterville

-I do appreciate having more access to outdoors activities and the Central Valley in general seems to lend itself with great access to state parks and even Yosemite itself so that's a plus. I'm on the autism spectrum so I'm not super social but would like to still have certain opportunities available, though with the quarantine those are limited and downsized. But what is there usually to do?

-What is the social/dating scene usually like? I'd like to get my feet wet in that department down the line, but I know it might not be super big on young people my age.

-What are the apartments like? With the central area being alot cheaper than most of the state, I might be able to get by even with an EMT salary. I'm not super picky, but I would like something that is decent and not have to deal with bugs, mold or any obvious health hazard and gross stuff.

Those are the main things I can think of right now. I appreciate any input. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 10:35 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,861,305 times
So, you're a young guy looking for prospects in housing, mate & activities.

Ok, since you'll be close to King's Canyon and Yosemite, those call for hiking/biking. (Unless our glorious governor closes those down again, they should be open for all to enjoy.) Anyway, you may meet some "like minded" people on meetup for social interaction. Pick an activity you like. When you meet that "special someone" when doing this activity, you'll already have something in common!

If you DO settle near Fresno, check out Forestiere Underground Gardens

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2020, 05:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,666,303 times
Hi Vanguard103,

Your inquiry caught my eye. I lived in Visalia from 1992 to 2004. I was 25 years old when I moved there from So Cal looking to get out of the “rat race” and be closer to family and friends who recently relocated to neighboring Hanford and Dinuba. The population at the time was around 90,000. The city has since grown to about 140,000.

Visalia had intrigued me and I first considered moving there five years earlier. Since moving from Visalia in 2004, I’ve been back to visit for business and to see friends. My most recent visit was three years ago to spend a day at Sequoia National Park.

When I lived there, downtown Visalia was gaining a reputation for its dining and entertainment scene. A number of trendy eateries and microbreweries opened up, the historic Fox Theatre became a performing arts venue, a cineplex and new parking structure opened, and the Transit Center was constructed.

If you’re into outdoor activities, Visalia is the gateway to Sequoia National Park. The City in partnership with the Park operates the Sequoia Shuttle from Memorial Day weekend through September. There is also the Kaweah Oak Preserve about 8 miles east of town near Exeter. Lake Kaweah on the way to Sequoia is another popular recreation spot for boating and water skiing. And as Norty Flatz mentioned, the underground gardens in Fresno are worth a visit.

You mentioned having an interest in Buddhism. I’m sure there is a Buddhist community that you can connect with. Given my evangelical Christian (now Catholic) background, I didn’t come across many Buddhists.

Now as far as housing, most of the newer apartment complexes will be located in southwest and northwest Visalia. When I first moved to town, I rented a nice studio apartment at the Caldwell Village Apartments on Caldwell Avenue near Demaree. At the time I paid $385 a month. Nowadays, I’m sure a studio or 1 bedroom would run between $800 to $1,300 a month. You may also want to consider renting a room short-term through AirBnB.

Last edited by sacreole; 10-21-2020 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-04-2020, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
Have lived in Visalia (and surrounding areas) most of my life. This was once an extremely beautiful little town. Lots of history to explore and nature close by. I've watched this town grow from a welcoming little family oriented town to a place so obsessed with progress that this little town has lost a lot of it's charm. I have moved to a home out in the country and have no plans to ever move back into town. I am very intraverted and much rather the peace and quiet of country life.
What you said is true there aren't many black here, but the valley is finally starting to be more ethnicly diverse. From what I've seen though in the past 40+ years most people in Visalia don't even pay attention to that.
Of course this town has it's assortment of wannabe gang bangers, thugs and drug addicts. (What town doesn't?) And there is a pretty big mental health issue that is kept under the rug. The homeless issue has reached record numbers and This pandemic has not made any of it any easier.
I can't really comment on the dating scene around here. Being engaged and so introverted I stay away from all that. But I know that there are a lot of Facebook groups in this area that cover hobbies, upcoming events, dating and much more.
In my opinion and if I had a choice, I would look for something up in Three Rivers. It's right above us before the Sequoia National Park gates. Gorgeous and friendly little town. I love it up there. People are very nice. You should check it out.
Well, I hope that helped you some. Good luck in all you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California