Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 02:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I’m from Toronto and would really love to take a trip to California, spending about 8 days in LA, then driving up the Pacific Coast Highway to spend 3-4 days in San Francisco before returning. It’s just me traveling.

With all that’s going on now between COVID and social unrest, I’m looking at taking it a year from now.
What I’d really like to know is how much $ you think I’ll have to save for this trip, not including airfare.

I’ve done the research and arrived at some estimates, but I’d like to hear from those who live there and can give me a more accurate idea of how much $ I’ll need. Thank-you so much for your help

Here are a few things that might help you reply...

1. I’d like to use Air BNB to stay in a neighborhood that isn’t completely saturated with tourists. Somewhere near Santa Monica, Venice, Hollywood, and other interesting neighborhoods, but maybe near those areas or adjacent to them so I don’t have to spend the extra $ BNB would charge if I wanted to stay directly in Santa Monica. I’ve done my research, but what do you Locals think would be a good neighborhood for someone like myself who wants to stay among Angelenos, away from the tourists? What about the Rampart or Venice?
Also, what do you think a reasonable price for a 7-10-day rental for one person might be?

2. I like to take PT or walk when possible, but how feasible is that if I want to see as much of LA as possible? Would you advise renting a car the whole time I’m there or not? To clarify, I want to see as much of LA as possible, but don’t plan to visit OC or Disneyland, the Valley, etc. I only have about 7-8 days in LA and I plan to keep my exploring focused on the most vibrant neighborhoods, including enclaves like East LA, South Central, Santa Monica and the Pacific Coast, the areas adjacent to downtown, Hollywood, and the Hills. How much does it typically cost to rent a budget car in LA? In Toronto, we have LA-like traffic, including the busiest and largest highway in North America (the 401), but I’m curious about driving there. Do you think it’s difficult for someone new to the city the way that Manhattan can be or a city in Mexico, or is it pretty straightforward?

3. I want to rent a car and drive up the PC Highway to San Fran and stay there a few days. What would be a decent, affordable neighborhood to rent an Air BNB in? I’m thinking about the Mission, but any other suggestions would be great. What kinds of prices should I expect for a single guy renting an Air BNB there for 3-4 nights.

4. What should I budget for food if I eat mostly inexpensive stuff - lots of Mexican and Central American, food trucks, and so on with one or two fine dining experiences over the course of two weeks?

5. What are some money traps to avoid at all costs and what are some must-see attractions that you don’t often find in the travel guides? Is it worth taking a day trip to Joshua Tree, for example? What are some places that you would definitely recommend a first-time visitor see/experience? When I visit a new place, I really like to avoid the typical tourist stuff and try to experience the place like those who live there do. For example, when I used to visit NYC a lot, I typically stayed above 96th Street, on the West Side. Before that, I stayed with family in the South Bronx. I’ve been to NYC over a dozen times and never seen the Statue of Liberty only been to Times Square once, never went to the top of them Empire State Building, and so on. I really like exploring neighborhoods - especially historic ones - and visiting the places that locals recommend.

6. Do you think two weeks is enough time to take in LA and SF, while driving up the PCH? What is worth stopping for along the PCH between LA and SF?

7. I only place to stay in SF for 3-4 days, so what attractions do the locals think I shouldn’t miss. I’m a huge Grateful Dead fan, but is Haight Ashbury just a cliche now? I’ll probably go anyways, but what’s it like these days? I’m not gay, but would like to check out the Castro. Is it still the center of gay life that it once was. Here in Toronto, our once-thriving gay Village has kind of disappeared as almost-universal acceptance of the LGBTQ lifestyle in the city allowed its former residents to move all over without worrying about stigma or harassment. Has this happened to the Castro too or is it still a great place to experience the LGBTQ community of SF? Which neighborhoods still have enough of a remnant of their former population that they don’t feel completely wiped off the map due to gentrification?

Anyways, I have more questions but I think I’ve asked enough and written enough
I would really appreciate any answers residents or frequent visitors to California could give me. I really want to make this trip happen, but I need to get a better idea of how much money I’ll need to save for two weeks. I feel that $4000 should be more than enough, but would love to know your opinions.

Thank-you so much and I really hope I make it there in the near future.

Take care, everyone, and thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 02:27 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I love Johsua Tree park, but I recommend you watch the free video in the ranger station, before you explore the Park. Of course I am into Nature, so ymmv.

More on San Francisco:
I don't AirBnb but if I need a room in the city, I stay at Geary parkway Motel, it's walking distance to many Asian restaurants, ( Chinatown Jr on Clement St), plus hte parking is free, some downtown hotels charge for parking. It is also 4 or 5 blocks to the Golden gate park from there.
If you want to stay outside the city, Pacifica is a cute surfing town, on Highway1 & a short ride up to the city.

The Haight has become a strange mix of gentrified & homeless, but still worth a visit if you have the time.

I haven't been to the Castro in a while, but you can have walk though or stop for a coffee. The movie house there is beautiful.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:41 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I think others can answer most of your questions better than I can, but a few comments & questions for clarification:

1. What time of the year will this trip be? For example, an excursion to Joshua Tree would be great from November-May, not so fun the rest of the year. Are you going to be here during prime beach weather (July-September) or not?

2. PCH between LA and SF: It's mostly scenic views, but a tour of Hearst Castle (San Simeon) is absolutely worth it. If you enjoy nature and wildlife, Big Sur and/or Point Lobos are worth stopping at. Monterey Bay Aquarium is also excellent. Personally if I were visiting the West Coast from elsewhere, I would not miss taking a whale/dolphin watching boat trip out of Los Angeles (Dana Point in OC is actually better) and a brief stop off PCH to view the elephant seals just north of San Simeon, but that's me the nature lover speaking. These things may not be your cup of tea as you sound like more of a city person ?

3. I have to ask...what is the attraction of East LA and South Central?

Old 09-06-2020, 05:15 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Thank-you saibot and evening sun!

Really appreciate your tips.

saibot, you bring up an important question: When is the best time of year to visit Southern California and San Francisco?

I was thinking early Fall. Like October. It’s starting to get chilly in Toronto so I’ve extrapolated that LA will be decent weather-wise, but what do you think is the best time of year to visit the places I’ve mentioned? You say that November to May is the best time to visit Joshua Tree, but what about the main destinations I mentioned: LA, SF, the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Definitely want to see Big Sur, Monterey Bay, go swimming in the Pacific, perhaps see surfers at Mavericks near Half Moon Bay. Would love to see a redwood forest.

Thanks for your posts

Old 09-06-2020, 05:51 PM

218 posts, read 156,064 times
Well in advance, welcome to California!

I'll do my best to try to answer some of your questions...

1. Regarding Air BNB rates in various neighborhoods of LA and SF, I'm afraid I don't dare even venture a guess, though I do know from using Air BNB elsewhere, rates vary a lot. I'd suggest when you start pinpoint neighborhoods (others I'm sure will be helpful with that), go to the Air BNB site and plug in your dates. This would give you the most accurate info closer to the time you travel.

2. A car will be an enormous plus in the LA area. For SF, it will be a liability. I'd suggest organizing your trip, if you end up in SF, for example, so that you drop off the car (like at the airport) after your drive up the coast and before you begin you stay in the City proper. As for driving in LA, so much of the area is spread out and was built up after the advent of the auto, I find it not all that challenging to drive in. Of course, there are lots of people, lots of freeways, and lots of traffic. Maybe my perception is skewed by being a Californian, but I find it more challenging to drive in Manhattan or many cities I have driven in in Mexico. I'd say if you are used to driving in Toronto, adjusting to driving in LA wouldn't be that big of a leap. As for rental car rates, when you have an idea of your dates, go to some of the rental companies' websites and plug in your dates for the class of vehicle you are interested in. You'll be under no obligation to rent; just check the prices. One thing that will work to your advantage, I think, is that you would be picking up and dropping off the car in two popular travel destinations. I gather from travel forums (on C-D and elsewhere) that lots of people like to do a one-way rental between LA and Sf (or vice versa). This should minimize your drop-off fee. It wouldn't be, for example, like me renting a car in Toronto and dropping it off in Saskatoon.

3. The Mission would not be an inconvenient location as it has a couple of BART stations in addition to other PT. Again, someone else will have to share info about costs, though your own research should shed a lot of light on that.

4. Good question. I'm sure other posters will know more than I about that.

5. Joshua Tree is great, I and would say to go for it. If you want to make some stops in the park, maybe hike a bit, and see some of the scenic highlights, a day trip might be kind of rushed IMO. If you can swing an overnight stay nearby, you might enjoy it more. I agree with visiting JT between November and May.

6. Two weeks to do what you are considering should give you a very nice trip. Completely agree with Hearst San Simeon, Monterey Bay Aquarium (if you are into such), Point Lobos, and Big Sur as you travel Highway 1. Also as mentioned, just north of Hearst Castle is the Piedras Blancas sea lion rookery. Worth a stop--and it's free.

Forgive the little nit-pick, but PCH is what Highway 1 is called in Southern California, but here in Northern, it is a term almost never heard or used. Here, it's always referred to as Highway 1. Just wanted to tip you off, FWIW. Come and see it no matter what it's called in different parts of the state!

Also, just for fun, at some point after you leave the LA area and work your way north, the "the" disappears in front of freeway numbers. In my area, it's a dead giveaway when we hear someone say "the 101" or "the 280" that we are talking to a visitor from Down South or a recent transplant. Just a little California trivia! Oh, and don't call it "Cali" when you get here. Some people won't mind, but many will. Likewise, "Frisco" and "San Fran" won't endear you to the locals. Thank you for not using any of those in your post. :-) Apologies for the tangent!

One final thought about driving Highway 1...Would you consider starting your trip in SF and ending in LA? If you drive 1 southbound, the stops and views are all on your right. You won't have to wait to cross lanes of traffic to stop and take photos, etc. It's a popular highway all year, but depending on the time you visit, you might spend a lot of time waiting for it to be safe to cross the road and park.

7. I am sure there will be others more knowledgeable about what you ask here than I. I don't make it to SF very often, but, yes, as others have said, a walk through the Castro and Haight-Ashbury (and other neighborhoods too as your plans develop) would be worthwhile to look around, have a coffee perhaps, and get a feel for the distinct areas that add to the flavor of SF.

As for your budget, $4000 (in USD or CAD) for two weeks of the travel you describe should be more than enough.

Also intrigued about the attractions of South Central and East LA.

Sorry for the long reply. Happy planning and feel free, of course, to ask more as things progress.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I would suggest not limiting your CA trip to LA and SF. If I wanted to experience
Quebec would you suggest staying a week in Toronto. And that was it?

CA offers so much. The Monterey and the north coast. The Redwoods, coastal and Sierra. Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Gold country, I could go on. As to cost, use a credit card. Pay off over time, but don’t go crazy.

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-06-2020 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 07:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Part of Highway 1 is on fire, OP. I suggest you plan for a spring trip, rather than a fire season trip.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I would suggest not limiting your CA trip to LA and SF. If I wanted to experience
Quebec would you suggest staying a week in Toronto. And that was it?

CA offers so much. The Monterey and the north coast. The Redwoods, coastal and Sierra. Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Gold country, I could go on. As to cost, use a credit card. Pay off over time, but don’t go crazy.
Well, Toronto is in Ontario, not Quebec, but I see your point. However, it;s surely impossible to see all of California in a couple of weeks. The OP has indicated that he is not the type of independently wealthy person of leisure who has unlimited time and budget. So, it only makes sense to narrow the trip down to a somewhat manageable chunk.

I personally think 8 days in Los Angeles is a bit too much. But again, I am not a city person and I would tend to focus on nature rather than on cities. Other people might love 8 days in LA. We can make recommendations but in the end it is the OP's choice. If you tried to see Los Angeles, San Francisco, AND everything you've mentioned in two weeks, you would be doing nothing but insanely driving from one place to another.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
When is the best time of year to visit Southern California and San Francisco?

I was thinking early Fall. Like October. It’s starting to get chilly in Toronto so I’ve extrapolated that LA will be decent weather-wise, but what do you think is the best time of year to visit the places I’ve mentioned? You say that November to May is the best time to visit Joshua Tree, but what about the main destinations I mentioned: LA, SF, the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Definitely want to see Big Sur, Monterey Bay, go swimming in the Pacific, perhaps see surfers at Mavericks near Half Moon Bay. Would love to see a redwood forest.
The "best time of year" is a bit of a dilemma as when it's cool enough to enjoy the desert, it's too cold to swim in the Pacific (without a wetsuit). And when the beach is at its hottest and best, the desert is scorching. So you may have to compromise there.

I don't find fall the best season here. In fact, I actually think it is the worst and I dislike fall. The months of September, October, and early November come at the very end of the long dry season. It is still hot. The vegetation is mostly brown. There is often a hot, dry wind and wildfires are a frequent threat. You just will not see California at its best during this time.

My recommendation is Spring. In April and May, even into early June, the weather is mild and pleasant everywhere. There is almost no threat of rain, the vegetation has been refreshed, and hillsides are green and beautiful. The desert, mountains and beach are all looking good. It's still chilly in NorCal at this time, but not what you would call cold. You will run into fog and marine layer all up and down the coast, but it often clears up in the afternoon. It's not really swimming weather for the average person but you will definitely see surfers (they have wetsuits!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Forgive the little nit-pick, but PCH is what Highway 1 is called in Southern California, but here in Northern, it is a term almost never heard or used. Here, it's always referred to as Highway 1. Just wanted to tip you off, FWIW. Come and see it no matter what it's called in different parts of the state!
Oops! Yes, you can tell I am a SoCal resident. Dana Point/Doheny, where Highway 1 or Pacific Coast Highway begins, is one of our haunts.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
If checking out Berkeley is interesting to you at all, there's a fairly cheap motel right next to UC Berkeley campus, and you can walk to the BART station. You even get a free parking space: https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/travel...lodge/overview

I stayed there in February.

A great place to have dinner in Berkeley on the water with a great view of SF across the bay (my favorite place to eat for the view and the food - it's a bit pricey, but worth it if you get a table with a view) is Skates https://skatesonthebay.com/

You could just take BART into SF, instead of driving and trying to find or pay for parking, and then get an Uber if BART didn't take you exactly where you wanted to go.

This is the BART station you can walk to/from the motel is the "Downtown Berkeley" station.

On your way up, I suggest stopping in Monterey. Carmel is like fairyland for the rich people - a great place to visit for a day, but you can find somewhere cheaper to stay in Monterey. Pacific Grove is really beautiful and has a great farmers market - it's right next to Monterey on the south side of it. There's a trail right along the ocean there. If you want to walk on white sand, though, that would be Monterey.

Have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California