Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 12,890 times

Advertisements

Redding has really good public schools, check out the test scores. Hot summers are drawback but there are lakes 20 min away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 25,443 times
Hi Dary,
I was born and raised in the "real" northern California, and I have to say, it is still my favorite place. I grew up in Yreka, which is just about 20 minutes from the Oregon border. It is the county seat of Siskiyou County and has a whopping 7000 population, :-) Everywhere in Siskiyou County is BEAUTIFUL. From most of the areas in the county, you can at least get a glimpse of the majestic Mt.Shasta. Plus, every where in the county is super close to any kind of outdoor activity including camping, swimming, mountain climbing, biking, etc. There is not a whole lot of excitement, and for some people it is boring, but I lived there until I was 21, and I didn't feel bored at all. There are larger towns with all the excitement within just a few hours, so it's easy to take a day or weekend trip to get away. I highly recomend the area, especially with a baby. You can't get much safer than that area! Especially since everyone knows everyone, and everyone kid of watches out for each other. Price wise, ye, it is soooo much cheaper to live there. I live in Sacramento currently, and our 1 bedroom duplex here is $925, but it would rent for about $450 in Siskiyou. You can rent a 3 bedroom house with acerage for less than $1000 a month. All in all, it's a great area. Specifically, I would suggest the following towns: Yreka, Etna, Fort Jones, Mt.Shasta, Dunsmuir, or McCloud. Good luck, I hope you find what you like. I know I have... my hubby and I are moving back up there in the next two months. YAY, I'm homeward bound! Maybe we will run into each other! :-)

Old 05-07-2009, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 25,443 times
Ohhh, and another plus about the Yreka area... it does get pretty hot in the summer, but not as bad as Redding. It also gets lots of beautiful snow in the winter time. As for buying a house, I was just looking at prices, and the majority of your typical 2-3 bedroom home is right at about 200k, some less, and almost all of them are on a decent sized lot. Plenty of room for a great garden. :-)

Old 05-07-2009, 05:35 PM

341 posts, read 688,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidingdoc View Post
I hope you don't mind, but I would very much like to leave a question in your thread as your discussion seems to be very close to what I am asking.

I would like to live near to Montague, CA, just 20 miles south of the Oregon/California boarder where they have a fantastic gliding club. Unfortunately, I have to be realistic and send my wife out to work! She is into Women's Beauty, hair, skin treatments and nails.
Two questions.
Firstly, Are the ladies of Northern California and Southern Oregon into beauty treatments? Do they get there nails done? Do they get bothered by the odd wrinkle? Do they go for painful removal of unwanted hair? Or are they more into natural living?? Would she have any business in that area?
Secondly, Would we be better off, in terms of taxes, fuel costs etc., living in Southern Oregon or Northern California? The gliding club is onlu 20 miles south of the boarder so, theoretically, we could live in Oregon and fly in California?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Steve
No us nocal women don't care one bit about ourselves. We don't shave and we love wrinkles. We're too busy slopping hogs to get our nails done. We don't have most of our teeth neither. JUST KIDDING had to give you a bad time. We're just as vain as the rest of um. By the way real gliders or RC

Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 12,805 times
Is Ferndale California a safe relatively inexpensive place to consider buying a home? I am not familar with areas in California that are as described above, I only lived there as a child.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary View Post
My husband, baby and I currently live in San Bernardino and we're from Orange County originally. We're planning on moving in summer 2009 as we're so tired of the horrible smog, outrageous housing costs, crime and the Southern California attitude (plastic surgery, materialism, etc.) Even though we were both raised here we want to raise our children in an area that we'd feel safe letting them ride their bikes around the block by themselves. We're looking for a town in far northern California that is safe (safer than San Bernardino anyways), with lower housing prices (hopefully around $3-400,000) where we could also get some land (hopefully 2 acres or more). We'd like clean air and a healthier attitude towards living. We're very liberal people and not very religious but we're easygoing and tend to fit in well even among conservative people. My husband is a school teacher and I'm a stay at home mom. We've been recommended towards the Grants Pass/Rogue River, Oregon region, but we would prefer to stay in California as my husband's teaching credential is from here. My family is also in Southern California so it would be nice to stay in the same state. We are very active outdoor people and would like mountains, lakes/rivers, maybe 1-2 hours from the ocean with little snow. I've looked into Eureka but have heard that it's economically very poor. I've also looked at Redding but have heard that the heat is unbearable (I've had enough of that in San Bernardino!) Am I totally naive to think a place like this exists in California? Do I need to move to Oregon? Thanks in advance!
Of course the first thing that came to my mind was Eureka or somewhere in Humbolt county, but yes, much of it is poor. Chico is a bit hot, nothing like San Bernardino thus you may want to think about that or how about someplace like Placerville? You would get a little snow, not much, probably a mixture of liberal and conservative which would be good for the kids, they would be exposed to all sides and the area certainly offers a lot of outdoor activities..Maybe Santa Rosa would be another place. I don't know about the property values there...I am sure you can find someplace that will meet with what you want in life. It doesn't sound like you are set on just one type of living, but are open to diversity and are pretty easy going.

Yreka would be a place to consider as well.. Someone mentioned Paradise. I second that, my parents lived there for years, we almost retired there. Because it is so close to Chino it is a good mixture of liberals and conservatives. It is quiet, lovely forest setting and wonderful climate.

So many are saying Acata/Eureka, I will be honest, if liberal is what you want go for it, but we are talking really liberal and drug problems or so I have been told. There are lots of reasons why I don't think I would choose that part of the state.

Nita

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Default Jobs,Ferndale, the Carson Mansion

Anyone thinking about moving to Humboldt County had better have a job lined up. The figures came out today-we're at 10.5% unemployment. Ferndale is one of the pricier spots here because it's so small and a lot of the housing stock is huge old Victorians that bring a high price if in good shape. You could get into Ferndale for anywhere from $300K to sky's the limit if it's a place with acreage. Few listings. The "strange" building in Eureka referred to by someone who doesn't know a classic Victorian mansion when he/she sees one is the William Carson house, now owned by a private club, whose members (realtors,dentists,bankers ) are both male and female. Locally it's one step up from the Rotary. Check out Hillsdale Street in Eureka if you want to see some "painted lady" type Victorians. Come! And spend money while you're here!. We need it.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
The club in the Carson mansion is called the Ingomar club and is an exclusive club. One cannot just walk in to the place, you have to know someone or be invited. Make us your summer vacation destination, plenty of redwoods, clean rivers, mountains and the ocean. Most of the people are friendly and welcoming.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 12,572 times
If you are looking for solitude, quiet, and unsurpassed natural beauty then consider Siskiyou County. Despite what some have said, we have found it to be very friendly. Shopping and cultural events are a short drive to Ashland & Medford.

Even in the most remote homes, some off the grid, DSL is available. There are few jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California