Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2020, 08:31 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I have an aunt like this. Never sick a day in her life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Same with my wife and I am almost at her level. Get a cold once in a great while.
Wish we could bottle whatever the reason is for these innate immunities, eh? Sell it to everyone else. For a penny. Even the poorest could afford. And we’d be rich to boot !

Old 10-07-2020, 12:07 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
There's probably something genetic that makes some people predisposed to severe covid symptoms and others to fall into the asymptomatic category, but having it is having it and the only true immunity right now is to not be exposed to it. The misconception that some individuals have, that they are innately immune to other diseases, is precisely what causes people to reject the public health protocols like wearing a mask and avoiding crowds.

tl;dr - Don't confuse true immunity with a good track record for not getting common colds and other ailments.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
There's probably something genetic that makes some people predisposed to severe covid symptoms and others to fall into the asymptomatic category, but having it is having it and the only true immunity right now is to not be exposed to it. The misconception that some individuals have, that they are innately immune to other diseases, is precisely what causes people to reject the public health protocols like wearing a mask and avoiding crowds.

tl;dr - Don't confuse true immunity with a good track record for not getting common colds and other ailments.
There will always be people like that. Just as they were for the Bubonic Plague and the Spanish iunfluenca. Heredity, quality of food and interestingly enough not minding being dirty. A respected doctor told my wife once that her reason for it was as a child she would make little cookies out of mud and then try to eat them. Her body developed resistance to all sorts of things. I played in dirty water as a child, hiked the hills and played in the dirt everywhere. I had measles, the flu, chicken pox and colds as a child and then as I got older I think I had the flu one time. Colds varied and I might have one every 5 to 10 years. Then the chemicals used on our food, the genetically modifies issues and the constant washing does have an impact. I read a study a while back on excessive sanitation and I will see if I can find it and post it. Note it is not that cleanliness is not good, it is excessive cleanliness and the chemicals being used. Being constantly dirty can give some immunity but it can also get you too close to bad things as well.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:27 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
just spent 5 days in North and South Carolina and was shocked at the small percentage of people wearing masks in stores.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:47 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
just spent 5 days in North and South Carolina and was shocked at the small percentage of people wearing masks in stores.
I live in the Houston metro, and rarely see anyone without a mask, especially indoors. Before I left on the trip I'm on, I heard that only 48% of people nationwide are wearing masks. That just didn't seem right. I'm in South Carolina right now, and I drove here. I saw tons of people not wearing masks in LA and MS. That 48% began making a bit more sense. I drove straight through AL at night, so no observation about AL. In TN and GA, my observation (Chattanooga and Atlanta) was that the mask wearing rate was almost as high as in Houston. So far in SC, my experience has been the opposite of yours (I'm seeing about the same rate as in TN and GA)

ETA: the only exception so far in SC was at a Barnes and Noble cafe, which was about 50/50 even though there was a mandate, and it was 50/50 no matter how one sliced the demographics (age, race, gender, etc.).

Last edited by RMESMH; 10-07-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-08-2020, 12:02 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I was in San Diego over Labor Day, was kind of surprised how many people in crowded areas outside (Seaport Village for example) were not wearing masks. Guessing a lot of them were Zonies.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:06 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was in San Diego over Labor Day, was kind of surprised how many people in crowded areas outside (Seaport Village for example) were not wearing masks. Guessing a lot of them were Zonies.

Because people like to breath fresh air. It's like me going to Santa Monica and instead of enjoying ocean breeze, cover my face with a mask. That is the reason why many of us refuse to wear a mask outside.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:07 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yep,
Tourist central on the boardwalk walking marching style 8 across blocking the whole thing with no masks in sight. You have no choice but to literally nearly touch to get around them. I like to watch the beach cams and you can see it all day long. There are 3 cameras just for PB and MB boardwalk.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Because people like to breath fresh air. It's like me going to Santa Monica and instead of enjoying ocean breeze, cover my face with a mask. That is the reason why many of us refuse to wear a mask outside.
I generally don't unless it's really crowded and kind of confined, like Seaport Village is. It was just a contrast to the Bay Area where most people seem to wear them even outside all the time. I kind of think its overkill to wear them when just walking on a sidewalk.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:56 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Although health experts don’t know how hard the flu will hit this year, the prospect of a “twindemic” has them worried. Health providers are particularly urgent in their flu shot appeals this year, hoping to get their patients immunized before families come together for the holidays to share meals and pathogens.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...get-a-flu-shot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California