Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 02:38 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
It's pretty clear that world overreacted over this pandemic.

Only reason why we are seeing such a high number of 90,000+ is how it's being counted. We are not counting people that died from Covidvirus, instead we are counting people that had it.
Actually, if anything, COVID-19 deaths have probably been undercounted.

Death certificates can be signed by a physician who was responsible for a patient who died in a hospital, which accounts for many COVID-19 deaths. They can also be signed by medical examiners or coroners, who are independent officials who work for individual counties or cities. Many COVID-19 death certificates are being handled by physicians unless the death occurred outside of the hospital, in which case a medical examiner or coroner would step in, said Dr. Sally Aiken, the president of the National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME)...

For COVID-19, the immediate cause of death might be listed as respiratory distress, with the second line reading “due to COVID-19.” Contributing factors such as heart disease, diabetes or high blood pressure would then be listed further down. This has led to some confusion by people arguing that the “real” cause of death was heart disease or diabetes, Aiken said, but that’s not the case.

“Without the COVID19 being the last straw or the thing that led to the chain of events that led to death, they probably wouldn’t have died,” she said.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-are-counted1/

Old 05-19-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
it seems all about control not about making sense that retail stores must embrace curbside pickup from now on, but not grocery and convenience stores. I see no excuses.
I think that they don't have enough personnel for all of this. I was informed that I could go to a curbside pick up and have someone scan the printed out barcode for the merchandise. (I envisioned some sort of kiosk one could drive through...no such luck - you had to go inside the store to pick up this ONE item out of the rest of the order.) This is all new stuff for some of these stores. They're just not used to the huge volume of online purchases.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:10 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Those were made-up examples of the kind of data I would like to see driving the state's decisions. Right now much of our restrictions and openings just look like fiats decreed without rhyme or reason, and that makes me want to be non-compliant.

That's the problem with one-size-fits-all approaches like the state has taken. It's unrealistic to think that policies created for high density, major metro areas of the state are suitable for rural podunks in rural counties. Of course, nobody in charge of either type of city/county wanted to be the ones responsible for defying the state order back in March when there were still plenty of unknown variables. But at this point, it's downright pointless for the decisions on how to handle opening up to be made anywhere *but* at the local level.

I get that Newsom doesn't want to appear to be a feckless leader so he's just going to bend to the will of the localities now and adjust the measures as if they're coincidental to his own plan. I don't really care about the politics of this. It's a good sign that the state is backing off even if they're trying to save face while they do it.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:19 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah looker ... ‘cept the economy ain’t dead, sorry to inform your boss Vladimir, it’s just in an intentionally induced coma and will be back awake presently.

Well, to that end and sticking with that analogy, coming out of a medically induced coma, patients don't just automatically spring back to life as prototypical pictures of health. I agree the economy isn't dead, but not being dead doesn't mean it isn't incredibly painful with a long recovery ahead. Not everything will return on the other side of this either. Like you, I'm confident things will come back. But I'm not so quick to dismiss this as just a minor speed bump.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:21 AM

I'll be first in line, whether it's July or--I hope not--September.

This week, hairdressers, barbers and other beauty professionals were given a better idea about what’s to come. On Monday, Newsom announced that more California communities could slowly begin to reopen as the state loosens its stay-at-home order.

“I’m confused,” Wilcox said. “Some people say it’s July, and some people are saying it could be as long as early September, which would be a nightmare.”

When they open, barbershops and salons won’t return to normalcy. They likely will restart with changes. There will be stricter limits on the size of gatherings and social distancing measures. Shops and salons, often doubling as social and therapeutic spaces, will function differently. The measures will dent bottom lines.

What’s the future for California salons and barbershops? Hairstylists worry and wait:
https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/st...it-coronavirus

Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Well, to that end and sticking with that analogy, coming out of a medically induced coma, patients don't just automatically spring back to life as prototypical pictures of health. I agree the economy isn't dead, but not being dead doesn't mean it isn't incredibly painful with a long recovery ahead. Not everything will return on the other side of this either. Like you, I'm confident things will come back. But I'm not so quick to dismiss this as just a minor speed bump.
Don’t recall if I used the word “minor”, but I have referred to the current crisis as a ‘speed bump’. I’ve pretty much acknowledged it is serious business ... just not a long-term catastrophe. It calls for respect and caution and consideration ... but not panic.

Everything is relative, right? How ‘minor’ or ‘major’ this struggle is depends on how far back one goes in history for comparisons. If one looks back only a couple generations, this is a pretty big deal. Further back one goes, less so. I often take long views.

Hang on to your shorts. This will get handled. Among other things, the responses from so many quarters are very encouraging with lenders, businesses, landlords, politicians/government, charities, et al offering so many kinds of helpful considerations. Can’t think of an historic parallel to the cohesive efforts.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Don’t recall if I used the word “minor”, but I have referred to the current crisis as a ‘speed bump’. I’ve pretty much acknowledged it is serious business ... just not a long-term catastrophe. It calls for respect and caution and consideration ... but not panic.

Everything is relative, right? How ‘minor’ or ‘major’ this struggle is depends on how far back one goes in history for comparisons. If one looks back only a couple generations, this is a pretty big deal. Further back one goes, less so. I often take long views.

Hang on to your shorts. This will get handled. Among other things, the responses from so many quarters are very encouraging with lenders, businesses, landlords, politicians/government, charities, et al offering so many kinds of helpful considerations. Can’t think of an historic parallel to the cohesive efforts.
I agree Trump will turn this around sooner then later. MAGA 2020

Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think that they don't have enough personnel for all of this. I was informed that I could go to a curbside pick up and have someone scan the printed out barcode for the merchandise. (I envisioned some sort of kiosk one could drive through...no such luck - you had to go inside the store to pick up this ONE item out of the rest of the order.) This is all new stuff for some of these stores. They're just not used to the huge volume of online purchases.
Even more Interesting there were About 15 curbside pickup spaces but only one was occupied at any given time during peak hours when the rest of the Walmart parking lot is busy. Seems less than even on a normal day before COVID19 I wonder why.

True i also think they should have a kiosk with an intercom feature that are cleaned after every customer as possible at the pickup spaces. And allow those who ordered online to park a bit farther out in spaces with no kiosks.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:13 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Uh oh. The governor's in trouble now. The Legislature isn't happy with the unilateral power he's had in the state for the past several weeks, making decisions without legislative input. He's changed laws without conferring with them and they are not happy campers. Now he's asking for more money but hasn't detailed where it will be spent, nor has he detailed where he's been spending the other money from the coffer.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:54 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Good News, reinfection unlikely (according to Dr John Campbell). Sure hope he's right.
Dr John explains why:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California