Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2022, 12:01 PM

382 posts, read 179,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Wait, huh?

So now anytime someone is out from work/school we’re to assume it’s “very likely” from covid?

Playing hooky, covid. Hung over, covid. Starting with weekend early, covid. Etc, etc.

We know the home tests aren’t the most accurate (like 80-90%), so I’m just gonna assume you also think all those negative tests are “very likely” positive too?
His statement is likely untrue, but who knows how to verify this, nor why would anyone care at this point. My wife had only 2 students the entire year test Covid positive. There was a flu outbreak though 3 weeks ago where the school had at least 20 cases where kids missed school. They all tested negative at school prior, then two days later, then upon their return.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:06 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
Flew back yesterday from Mexico. Amazingly, so easy with no testing, SW did a great job of removing all the "edit/add contract tracing" and attestation crap on their app. Didn't need to show anything to get back into country other than typical docs. On flight from Cabo to SNA don't think there were even 5 people with a mask. OC to OAK flight was back to about 70% masks. Bay Area won't let this mask crap go.

I got asked at OAK TSA Pre last Thursday if I had a mask. I just said yes, and said why. She said because they're about to change back to mask mandate. I just laughed and walked away. Probably why I got a "random search" after the metal detector.
That just blows me away. SCIENCE. No wonder a lot of people are still whacky about it when their local govt are in gestapo mode. No place in San Diego is still pretending masks are "saving lives".

Old 06-13-2022, 12:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Quote:
Wait, huh?

So now anytime someone is out from work/school we’re to assume it’s “very likely” from covid?

Playing hooky, covid. Hung over, covid. Starting with weekend early, covid. Etc, etc.

We know the home tests aren’t the most accurate (like 80-90%), so I’m just gonna assume you also think all those negative tests are “very likely” positive too?
Give me a better explanation why a major increase in unexcused absences during the pandemic. If you say "hooky," I will easily pick that apart.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:31 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Give me a better explanation why a major increase in unexcused absences during the pandemic. If you say "hooky," I will easily pick that apart.
Another explanation? Um, ok, how about: people have been known to ‘take advantage of current events’ and use them for excuses? Actually, I could refer you to a number of articles discussing how the workplaces have changed since the pandemic … workers coming and going and changing attitudes and lifestyles as a result. But ya know what? I’m not gonna bother. Because: crap like the truth won’t fit your conviction that your *guesses* are the only reality.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:41 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Well first off, society as a whole is more excepting of taking time off when not “feeling well” since this was instilled in us during covid. The days of sucking it up and going to work are a thing of the past. At least for the foreseeable future? This alone will lead to more unexcused absences.

And if you don’t think people are using this to their advantage you probably don’t know many business owners? I owned a bar and restaurant up until covid (sold before, unrelated) and still stay in contact with my old partners, as well as friends that own or run establishments. They said it’s become a joke with employees saying they’re “sick” and later posting on Instagram they’re in Big Bear or whatnot, and then in a day or two the fever, scratchy throat, etc, magically went away. Not to say this didn’t happen before, but now it’s no questions asked when someone calls out.

Even my wife who is an RN has debated going this route because her co-workers have (she knows for a 100% fact), and it doesn’t go against your sick pay. She hasn’t, but she wants to.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:46 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Why should I read your "genius" posts when your attitude is willful ignorance and playing dumb?

"Fine" is not 20% or so of infected people developing Long-Covid.

I've said multiple times that test-to-fly is to keep out new variants and that the waiting game is for better vaccines and treatments (because nothing available now is good enough). Test-to-fly for the next 10 years would be fine with me - it's not that big a deal. The only likely perpetual masking should be for some professions (especially healthcare) and very high-risk people.
So you didn't answer my question though. I asked what you're waiting for. Long covid isn't going away either, so you just expect us to do this forever?

Old 06-13-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
So you didn't answer my question though. I asked what you're waiting for. Long covid isn't going away either, so you just expect us to do this forever?
It's over, it was obvious people are living their lives, almost all from SoCal. Plenty of boats and yachts in the Mexico waters with people blaring music, dancing, drinking.

Our group of about 130 in their early-to-mid 50s, partied and drank like we did in the years in college and after, so the large majority are done with the covid theatre. That's not to say, it could come back, but the science now is indicating there are not many hospitalizations or deaths. No one I know cares about Long Covid.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That just blows me away. SCIENCE. No wonder a lot of people are still whacky about it when their local govt are in gestapo mode. No place in San Diego is still pretending masks are "saving lives".
Very true. No science at all. We're still the only ones up here (mainly Albany/Berkeley) with people acting like they will die and masks are "saving lives", walking on the sidewalks with masks. It's a total clown show.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post

You quoted me where I said the "waiting game is for better vaccines and treatments."

Old 06-13-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Well first off, society as a whole is more excepting of taking time off when not “feeling well” since this was instilled in us during covid. The days of sucking it up and going to work are a thing of the past. At least for the foreseeable future? This alone will lead to more unexcused absences.

And if you don’t think people are using this to their advantage you probably don’t know many business owners? I owned a bar and restaurant up until covid (sold before, unrelated) and still stay in contact with my old partners, as well as friends that own or run establishments. They said it’s become a joke with employees saying they’re “sick” and later posting on Instagram they’re in Big Bear or whatnot, and then in a day or two the fever, scratchy throat, etc, magically went away. Not to say this didn’t happen before, but now it’s no questions asked when someone calls out.

Even my wife who is an RN has debated going this route because her co-workers have (she knows for a 100% fact), and it doesn’t go against your sick pay. She hasn’t, but she wants to.
Two people just made themselves look bad by answering the wrong question. It should've been clear from a batch of posts that I was talking about *unexcused* absences *from school*.

Playing hooky in public when in Los Angeles, as far as I know, the kids and their parents can still get in legal trouble for that? The mall? Malls are dying. At home? Many more parents now are at home during the workday and wouldn't be okay with that. There probably is a trend to call in sick when not feeling well and it's definitely better than going on a school bus sick, but it seems they aren't bothering to call, my guess is because the families don't want the hassle of proving it's COVID. Also consistent with my assessment - the parents and kids don't seem to be getting in trouble for the absences, which suggests because the schools realize the absences probably are infection-related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California