Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 03:18 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I was recently reached out to for a job opportunity in Lodi, CA area and I was hoping to gather more information on the area. How expensive is this part of California? What are the current events of the area, is the job market around Lodi decent? I've never visited this part of the country so I don't know anything about it, any information is appreciated.

I am a single woman in her 20s. Mostly interested in being able to live comfortably and meet and socialize with other people my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 05:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
I can’t address the age demographics of Lodi. The job market should not matter since it sounds like you have an offer. Been through Lodi a number of times. Seems like a nice place on the eastern edge of the Central Valley. East of town very nice with vineyards and rolling country. Because it is not the Bay Area, housing is affordable. The only dumpy area I noticed was Cherokee road and Near Hwy 99

Old 11-03-2019, 05:51 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,913 times
There isn't much in terms of night life. Few bars here and there but they seem like they are the types of places locals go to only. The downtown is ok but could be much better. Seems like a place better for family rather than a single person. They are building tons of housing there but imo too expensive for the area. Along with all that housing they are adding stores etc. but nothing special.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:20 PM

587 posts, read 443,289 times
My brother and SIL have lived there for the past 10 years. My brother has a very good job and their children are grown, but neither one of them really likes the area. They spend most weekends visiting family in So Cal or going to the Bay Area.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:23 PM

4,024 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Hello everyone,

I was recently reached out to for a job opportunity in Lodi, CA area and I was hoping to gather more information on the area. How expensive is this part of California? What are the current events of the area, is the job market around Lodi decent? I've never visited this part of the country so I don't know anything about it, any information is appreciated.

I am a single woman in her 20s. Mostly interested in being able to live comfortably and meet and socialize with other people my age.
Lodi is a smaller town in the central valley, compared to Coastal California its cheap. If you were married and thinking of kids, I would consider living in Lodi, but being single in your 20's, I would probably look for an apartment in Elk Grove. The Sacramento region is a much bigger place (more than twice the size of Tuscon) offering a much thicker dating market, with a lot more things to do than Lodi. You will like Sacramento, its less hot in the summer time, you can water ski in the summer and snowboard in the winter. Its an 1.5 to skiing in the Sierra. If you haven't been to California Yosemite, the Redwoods, Tahoe, well there is a lot to check out.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Just about a year ago... I set out on the road...

Old 11-06-2019, 05:13 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
Lodi is located in the northern San Joaquin Valley about 8 miles north of Stockton and 30 miles south of Sacramento. It has a quaint, walkable downtown area. The area is known for its wineries, so that generates most of the town's buzz. The COL has increased but is still considered moderate based on California standards.

In terms of social life and activities, other than local churches, you probably would need to seek diversion in the Sacramento area. I don't know of any night clubs or other popular social venues. Stockton might be a little sketchy given its reputation for high crime.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:29 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Sorry if it wasn’t clear earlier, I don’t have a job offer in hand. I was just reached out to by a recruiter offering relo to this area and so I just wanted to learn more.

The closest I’ve gotten here is Lake Tahoe and a transfer in SFO. I do like Tahoe. Weather up there seems good. Being able to make friends and date is the biggest concern with this area. Some of you are mentioning Sacramento but what would the commute be like? In fairness the job is on the north side of Lodi in a rural area outside of town. I don’t really have any interest in a long commute.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:43 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Sorry if it wasn’t clear earlier, I don’t have a job offer in hand. I was just reached out to by a recruiter offering relo to this area and so I just wanted to learn more.

The closest I’ve gotten here is Lake Tahoe and a transfer in SFO. I do like Tahoe. Weather up there seems good. Being able to make friends and date is the biggest concern with this area. Some of you are mentioning Sacramento but what would the commute be like? In fairness the job is on the north side of Lodi in a rural area outside of town. I don’t really have any interest in a long commute.
Tahoe is a great area for young singles. If you don’t mind the snowy winters. The drive between Sacto and Tahoe is 2+ hours when the weather is good. If making friends and dating is #1 then Tahoe is it. Sacto would also be good. Sacto to Lodi is not bad

Old 11-07-2019, 10:04 AM

4,024 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:

I mention living in Elk Grove, which is the suburb of Sacramento closest to Lodi. The commute from Elk Grove to Lodi is 22 miles and google estimates it at about 25 minutes and you would be going against rush traffic both ways driving to Lodi through a mostly rural area, so the daily commute shouldn't be that bad. If you actually lived in downtown Sacramento your commute would be closer to 40 miles each way and assuming its rush hour I would estimate 50 min to an hour. If your commute is to a rural area north of Lodi, it should be even shorter because that would put you closer to both Sacramento and Elk Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California