Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 02:32 PM

686 posts, read 813,157 times

Advertisements

Long story short, 3 years ago our family moved from the PNW to the Charlotte area. Needless to say we are not as big of a fan of the South as we thought we were. We miss the west coast "vibe", convenience of walking to many shops, restaurants, etc..., no humidity, and the food!

We would probably never consider going back to the PNW because of the weather but we always enjoyed SoCal when we would spend time down there so we were thinking the Ventura/Oxnard area may fit the bill and have more affordable housing. We have also spent time in San Diego and would consider the outskirts.

We would spend around 600-650k for a home. could afford more but dont want to. I work from home and we home school so rush hour traffic and commuting wont be that big of a deal.

Which area would be a potential good fit from a local residents perspective? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 09:05 AM

3,176 posts, read 2,741,931 times
Ventura has the vibe you're looking for, but 600-650 is only going to get you a <1500sqft in a bad part of town, or a townhouse with high HOA's, at the moment. Wait until the housing market deflates in probably less than a year now, if you've got a recession-proof job. It is my favorite city (except possibly SB) due to the lively downtown, and living within walking/biking distance of downtown/main St. is really great. People gripe about vagrants, and there's always petty theft, but it's really not that bad. They are there, but they're not an overwhelming presence and you're good to go out at all hours in the downtown area.

Oxnard is also underrated/underdeveloped, especially if you homeschool. It's got great weather, a walkable downtown, probably the best beaches, and an amazing marina. It's also not subject to the power shut-offs or fire danger during fire season (Oct-Nov). The town itself is kind of ugly with a bunch of 1950's shack-like commercial buildings, but it's got a lot of industry. Schools are terrible and it's a bit of a drive to go anywhere as the freeway is kinda far from the nice beachy or downtown areas. Oxnard vagrancy is worse than Ventura. It has a pretty significant impact on the downtown. They get chased off for festivals, but I wouldn't say it's safe or pleasant to go walking around downtown Oxnard after dark. Some festivals and events, not as many as Ventura.

Hueneme is probably the last laid-back SoCal surfer/beach town with the cheapest water-adjacent property. It's pretty economically depressed and ugly with the port, sewage treatment, and power stations. However, that keeps prices down and the locals from being displaced by rich gentrifiers moving in from out of town or out of state. It's correspondingly racist and localized. Fine if you're not a POC and you can tread lightly around ornery locals. Not much civic activity to speak of. Far from everything. Long drive to the FWY.

Inland areas like Santa Paula and Filmore are cheaper and worth a look if you don't mind some dry 90 degree days in summer. Santa Paula has a surprisingly active civic/downtown scene. We go there at least once a month.

Again, best advice is to wait or rent until property values dip, which should be any day now. EVERYONE and their brother has put their property on the market, and it's beginning to look a lot like '08.

I don't think you can afford anywhere decent in San Diego. My advice is also to get property as close to the water as you can, and Ventura County is a good bet. It makes a HUGE difference on how much time you can spend outdoors. If you put some hills between you and the water, it's going to be too hot to go to the playground (hot surfaces) or do much outdoor stuff for a good chunk of the summer. It'll be 110 in the blazing sun in Thousand Oaks, when it's 68 degrees and partly cloudy at the Oxnard Beach Park playground in July.

If you don't mind it more chilly, and you don't HAVE to be within an hour (and change) of a major city or international airport, maybe consider central California, like the coastal cities around SLO.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:49 PM

Excellent intel. Thank you very much.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:04 PM

69 posts, read 61,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Long story short, 3 years ago our family moved from the PNW to the Charlotte area. Needless to say we are not as big of a fan of the South as we thought we were. We miss the west coast "vibe", convenience of walking to many shops, restaurants, etc..., no humidity, and the food!

We would probably never consider going back to the PNW because of the weather but we always enjoyed SoCal when we would spend time down there so we were thinking the Ventura/Oxnard area may fit the bill and have more affordable housing. We have also spent time in San Diego and would consider the outskirts.

We would spend around 600-650k for a home. could afford more but dont want to. I work from home and we home school so rush hour traffic and commuting wont be that big of a deal.

Which area would be a potential good fit from a local residents perspective? thanks.
Hemet...hands down has what you need.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,602,909 times
Or the Sacramento area and eastern CA. Affordable

Old 10-25-2019, 04:21 AM

593 posts, read 1,800,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS1993 View Post
Hemet...hands down has what you need.

Hemet? If California needed an enema, Hemet would be where they'd insert the tube!!!

Old 10-25-2019, 11:59 AM

2,078 posts, read 2,030,752 times
I am originally from the south but have lived worldwide . I hear about and meet alot of people from the west coast that find out the south is really not all that , so yes . I feel the same .
The last 10 were spent in the PNW . 8 in Seattle. 2 in oregon.
I loved Seattle but never want to see Oregon again .

I thought I would not want to come back if I could not return to live in the parts of LA that I wanted to anymore but after Oregon I am grateful for Bakersfield ( I never thought I would say that ) and it is both growing and economical .

My youngest lives and works in WeHo so I am there much of the time anyway and its fast to get to there from here . SO glad to be back .

I would also second the Ventura suggestion another poster made .

Old 10-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I am originally from the south but have lived worldwide . I hear about and meet alot of people from the west coast that find out the south is really not all that , so yes . I feel the same .
The last 10 were spent in the PNW . 8 in Seattle. 2 in oregon.
I loved Seattle but never want to see Oregon again .

I thought I would not want to come back if I could not return to live in the parts of LA that I wanted to anymore but after Oregon I am grateful for Bakersfield ( I never thought I would say that ) and it is both growing and economical .

My youngest lives and works in WeHo so I am there much of the time anyway and its fast to get to there from here . SO glad to be back .

I would also second the Ventura suggestion another poster made .
I completely understand where you are coming from in regards to Oregon. There is the extremely liberal PNW, and then there is Oregon! We go back to visit from time to time but I would never consider moving back.

Our experience in the South hasn't necessarily been bad, just different. Maybe we oversold ourselves on it. We were so ready for a major change from Oregon and I think we went a little to far in the " right" direction. Our biggest issue with the South is how everything and everyone is "picture perfect" and over the top big ( houses, cars, churches, even the hair! LOL). Its kind Texas like.. The traditions of the south are old fashioned and the whole "southern hospitality" reputation is a lie. I personally don't think many southerners let outsiders in because most are too bust living this fantasy life of perfection and are afraid to be exposed, but that's another thread. All in all the south is kinda strange from an outsiders perspective. Oh, and the Food sucks!

Anyway, back on topic. As of now, If we made this move we would want to be somewhat close to the beaches. As of right now Ventura, Oxnard, then Escondido would be our top 3 - in that order.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:27 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,423,656 times
If you have a transportable job - great idea. NC probably won't miss you.
You must like the higher taxes and govt intrusion.

Rethink this - more Kalis are leaving than arriving.
https://moneywise.com/a/states-americans-are-fleeing

Old 10-26-2019, 03:34 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,423,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post

Our experience in the South hasn't necessarily been bad, just different. Maybe we oversold ourselves on it. We were so ready for a major change from Oregon and I think we went a little to far in the " right" direction. Our biggest issue with the South is how everything and everyone is "picture perfect" and over the top big ( houses, cars, churches, even the hair! LOL). Its kind Texas like.. The traditions of the south are old fashioned and the whole "southern hospitality" reputation is a lie. I personally don't think many southerners let outsiders in because most are too bust living this fantasy life of perfection and are afraid to be exposed, but that's another thread. All in all the south is kinda strange from an outsiders perspective. Oh, and the Food sucks!

You probably moved to one of the more Baptist cities that predominate the south. Here in GA - there are over a hundred churches within a 50 mile drive of my location - one Catholic, one Presbytarian, one Orthodox and 97 Baptists.

Ya you're not gonna find fusion or Asian (exc good Chinese) or TexMex too often, but good BBQ (minus the vinegar mustard sauce) is worth it.

Fantasy life? Nope - good ole boys and girls - bibles and singing on the front porch and in church. Lots of rednecks (the hardest working ones) and no hillbillies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California