Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:08 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,383,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What "proof" would be needed. We plan on traveling by RV for at least the first year but will have a permanent home somewhere outside of CA.

If you just need a domicile state for when you're RVing, you might look into a residency in South Dakota. That's what a lot of full time RVers do. No state income tax, only a 4% sales tax (although some counties add onto that), and because it’s easy to become a resident. Their vehicle registration fees are reasonable. Choosing a mail forwarding service in South Dakota opens up the door for you to become a resident there.

Might work for you. Check it out:
Setting Up South Dakota Residency for RVers (Pt. 1 ...

Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 AM

1,203 posts, read 838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Same here, it is just not that big of a deal . When I left the first time from Ca , I was moving to Europe .
Well good for you. Most people I know do drive and do have to notify DMV when they move to a different state. But if you either don't drive or were lucky enough not to be pulled over by law enforcement (since it's illegal in most states to drive around with out-of-state license plates after a certain duration of time), I'd say you were quite fortunate.

Not sure what to say on the rest of the comment. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, you can always skip the thread. The topic again is... Tips from those that left California.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 AM

50,464 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
California is desirable for the wealthy but Cali tax schemes are not desirable for the wealthy. A huge portion of wealthy maintain an actual or sham residency elsewhere to avoid the tax bite of Cali. But if you legitimately leave the state, you should be fine. New York is similar except that it's less desirable imo.
I was quite surprised when I found out CA taxes pensions. That by itself was enough to make us start looking elsewhere. We have medical for life through my work so it just makes sense to find a new permanent residence. Something like a cabin in another State and then we can snowbird back here in the winter.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:12 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times
Quote:
I'm reading some horror stories by people trying to break ties with the state. A friend of mine says you have to notify DMV because another state doesn't notify them about the record changes. Any other things that need to go on a checklist? Still a ways off but I'd like to see what other traps and pitfalls await.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...707-story.html

California, like other higher-tax states, has residency auditors whose specialty is asserting that affluent people who have left the state are still legal residents and thus are subject to its taxes. The audits can be stunningly thorough, looking at everything from the doctors you visit to where your artwork and other valuable possessions are stored.
Your friend is correct.

When I got my Texas DL, I surrendered my California DL to that Texas entity. I asked the person if there was anything I needed to do re my California DL, and I was told no...that they would notify the proper authority in California. For years, I kept getting jury duty notices forwarded to me from my last location. I’d call and tell them I’d moved out of state. They’d enter that into the system, and tell me I was all set. Finally, by chance, I got a different person on the phone, and I said the same things I had said before. She told me to hold on, that she was going to check something. She returned, told me that a DL is one of the things that is used re jury duty mailings (the previous person gave no information re what triggers jury duty notices), and that my California DL was still active. Ugh. I’d had DLs in two states for years without knowing it. This last lady told me to go to the DMV, and they will give you a form to fill out that will essentially make your number inactive.

The next day, I went to the DMV (in the Bay Area, but not in the Bay Area county where I last lived) and filled out the proper form. This was in 2015 (after Cali Restoration did his paperwork, which he posted was in 2013). The form I filled out wasn’t one that Cali Restoration mentioned. It was entitled ‘Voluntary Relinquishment of Driver’s License’, or something similar to that.

I was really surprised that this had happened re the hoops I had to jump through to get my Texas DL. When I applied for my Texas DL, I got flagged on the NDR (IIRC, that stands for National Driving Registry). I got flagged because there is a criminal in another state (not CA and not TX) whose birthdate, name, and physical stats are similar to mine (I’m not a criminal). The DL authorities in Texas told me that sometimes criminals will try to get a DL in another state, and that they will tweak their own stats in predictable ways, and that that was why I was flagged on the NDR. I had to contact that other state, get a list of the documents they needed, and prove to them via those documents that I wasn’t the criminal from their state. They would then release my NDR hold, and send me a letter that I could present to the state of Texas. I sent in the documents proving I was not the criminal from their state. They released my NDR hold, and sent me the letter. I took the letter to the proper place vhere in Texas. That got me to the point where they would electronically submit my application, and this time it went through immediately. The NDR hold had been correctly removed by the other state.

When I was going back and forth a lot between TX and CA and still had my CA DL and plates, I got pulled over a few times in Texas for picky fixit things like a car plate light bulb burnt out, and other things I hadn’t noticed. I got a few bizarre questions during these stops...did I have blah blah blah tattoo in blah blah blah place (I don’t have any tattoos). It turned out that these attributes fit the aforementioned criminal whose name and physical stats were similar mine who I later had to (mentioned above) prove to the other state that I was not (that I’m a different person).

Back to California. The night after I filled out the form at the DMV in California, I saw some Sheriff’s deputies (on duty) chatting outside the Starbucks I had been patronizing. I was worried about having had DLs, even unknowingly, in two states. I explained the situation to them, what I had done to rectify it, and asked if there was anything else I needed to do/did I have anything to worry about. They were sort of amused, in a good natured way, that I was stressed out about it and they said no, that I didn’t have anything to worry about, and that I had now done everything that I needed to to follow up. I stopped getting the jury duty notices.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times
The form you fill out to surrender your CA driver's license is DL142 and can be obtained here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/dl/dl142

I'm driving back to Arizona soon and will stop in Barstow or other out-of-the-way place to surrender mine.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The form you fill out to surrender your CA driver's license is DL142 and can be obtained here:

I'm driving back to Arizona soon and will stop in Barstow or other out-of-the-way place to surrender mine.

It’s changed a bit since 2015, but I figured it was still beyond the link that Cali Restoration had provided (in 2013, when Cali Restoration did his paperwork, the info he provided may have been all that was required at that time).

Just a heads up if you want to/need to turn your California car plates in.....

I tried to do that in Barstow, and they wouldn’t accept them. I had to mail the plates in (IIRC, the DMV in Barstow did give me the address for that).

Old 07-16-2019, 12:43 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

It’s changed a bit since 2015, but I figured it was still beyond the link that Cali Restoration had provided (in 2013, when Cali Restoration did his paperwork, the info he provided may have been all that was required at that time).
Oh, sunny optimist!

This question was posed to the CA DMV Twitter account ("How do we surrender our CA licenses?") and answered with a link ... that leads to nowhere. And this was just a few months ago.

There's nothing the DMV can't screw up.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, sunny optimist!

This question was posed to the CA DMV Twitter account ("How do we surrender our CA licenses?") and answered with a link ... that leads to nowhere. And this was just a few months ago.

There's nothing the DMV can't screw up.

When I still lived in California, I bought a new car while I was on a trip out of state. I was still in the U.S., but almost as far away from California as one can get. When I called the phone number the DMV had set up to answer questions, the guy I spoke with told me that I had to come back to California to register the car beyond the temporary registration the new car dealer gave me in the other state. I cut the trip short, and drove back to California. When I went in to register the car I was told that the guy I had spoken with on that DMV information line was wrong....that appearing in person wasn’t necessary .

Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 AM

50,464 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Your friend is correct.

When I got my Texas DL, I surrendered my California DL to that Texas entity. I asked the person if there was anything I needed to do re my California DL, and I was told no...that they would notify the proper authority in California. For years, I kept getting jury duty notices forwarded to me from my last location. I’d call and tell them I’d moved out of state. They’d enter that into the system, and tell me I was all set. Finally, by chance, I got a different person on the phone, and I said the same things I had said before. She told me to hold on, that she was going to check something. She returned, told me that a DL is one of the things that is used re jury duty mailings (the previous person gave no information re what triggers jury duty notices), and that my California DL was still active. Ugh. I’d had DLs in two states for years without knowing it. This last lady told me to go to the DMV, and they will give you a form to fill out that will essentially make your number inactive.

The next day, I went to the DMV (in the Bay Area, but not in the Bay Area county where I last lived) and filled out the proper form. This was in 2015 (after Cali Restoration did his paperwork, which he posted was in 2013). The form I filled out wasn’t one that Cali Restoration mentioned. It was entitled ‘Voluntary Relinquishment of Driver’s License’, or something similar to that.

I was really surprised that this had happened re the hoops I had to jump through to get my Texas DL. When I applied for my Texas DL, I got flagged on the NDR (IIRC, that stands for National Driving Registry). I got flagged because there is a criminal in another state (not CA and not TX) whose birthdate, name, and physical stats are similar to mine (I’m not a criminal). The DL authorities in Texas told me that sometimes criminals will try to get a DL in another state, and that they will tweak their own stats in predictable ways, and that that was why I was flagged on the NDR. I had to contact that other state, get a list of the documents they needed, and prove to them via those documents that I wasn’t the criminal from their state. They would then release my NDR hold, and send me a letter that I could present to the state of Texas. I sent in the documents proving I was not the criminal from their state. They released my NDR hold, and sent me the letter. I took the letter to the proper place vhere in Texas. That got me to the point where they would electronically submit my application, and this time it went through immediately. The NDR hold had been correctly removed by the other state.

When I was going back and forth a lot between TX and CA and still had my CA DL and plates, I got pulled over a few times in Texas for picky fixit things like a car plate light bulb burnt out, and other things I hadn’t noticed. I got a few bizarre questions during these stops...did I have blah blah blah tattoo in blah blah blah place (I don’t have any tattoos). It turned out that these attributes fit the aforementioned criminal whose name and physical stats were similar mine who I later had to (mentioned above) prove to the other state that I was not (that I’m a different person).

Back to California. The night after I filled out the form at the DMV in California, I saw some Sheriff’s deputies (on duty) chatting outside the Starbucks I had been patronizing. I was worried about having had DLs, even unknowingly, in two states. I explained the situation to them, what I had done to rectify it, and asked if there was anything else I needed to do/did I have anything to worry about. They were sort of amused, in a good natured way, that I was stressed out about it and they said no, that I didn’t have anything to worry about, and that I had now done everything that I needed to to follow up. I stopped getting the jury duty notices.
Quote:

Thank you. These are great tips!!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:57 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Thank you. These are great tips!!
When I moved to Nevada they asked for my California Driver's license, they looked at it, punched a hole in it and gave it back to me. I never notified California and nothing happened. When I moved back to California they asked for my Nevada license, they looked at it and handed it back to me and gave me a California license. I never notified Nevada that I'd moved back to California and nothing happened.

I wonder if it's possible that Nevada and California share this information with each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California