Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

Does it exist anymore? I am interested in knowing if there is any place left in California that has affordable housing, a good job market, a good climate, reasonable traffic, and low crime.

I'll be graduating from grad school this spring and in the job market, and therefore am scoping out some Western locations to put down some roots.

I am currently in Palo Alto visiting my brother. The weather is great for outdoor stuff, but I just can't afford the $1.3 million 50 year old 3 bedroom houses. And don't get me started on the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM

144 posts, read 638,270 times
It only exists if you have over $20 million in the bank.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Default Depends on what you like/dislike

California is too diverse to give you a specific answer based solely on the attributes you stated. The weather alone is so varied that if you end up in a microclimate that doesn't suit you, you could be miserable even if all of your other wants are met, and visa-versa. If you can tolerate heat in the summer, the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys might have something for you in terms of affordable housing. There are other considerations, too. If you like golf-courses and resorts, Palm Springs; if you like funky and urban, Berkley. I trust you get my point.

You might be able to mitigate your housing expenses in pricier areas by curbing your car use, thereby lowering your transportation costs. I've done it and, as a result, was able to buy a house on the coast in Southern California on a moderate income. If you have the propensity to consider alternatives to full-time car use/ownership then look for places close to good public transportation and cities with bicycle-friendly growth policies. Palo Alto is one such place, as is Davis. Cities and counties all over California are getting serious about less car-based development -- even in car-obsessed L.A. -- making it quite possible to live comfortably with less need for a car. If such a choice is NOT for you, then you'll probably be relegated to inland areas if your income is working-to-middle class.

PS. This was posted on the thread "LA Has Best Mass Transportation System!?!" in the LA forum http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121600923.html

Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-18-2006 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Add link to Washington Post article from Los Angeles forum

Old 12-18-2006, 07:02 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Thanks for your response. I guess my first criteria would be affordability, moderate traffic, and safety. I wouldn't like a blazing desert, but don't mind summer heat. What I'm getting at, is there any place in California left that is doable for a young family of four on one decent income. I'd like a yard for the kids, but would like to cut down on my dependence on the car.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Default You can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I wouldn't like a blazing desert, but don't mind summer heat. ... I'd like a yard for the kids, but would like to cut down on my dependence on the car.
It might surprise you how much you can save if you cut back on your car use.

The most expensive areas with moderate climates include the San Francisco Bay, south-coast Santa Barbara and South Orange County, so I'll focus outside of those areas for you.

Depending on your job skills, San Luis Obispo might be one place for you to look. It's on the main north-south rail line served by Amtrak, you can walk to most locations if you live in town, and there is a fairly decent local bus system. The natural beauty and climate of the area won't disappoint you.

Just south of SLO, northern Santa Barbara County offers a mild climate and, still, some affordable housing. The problem there is that most jobs are in Goleta/Santa Barbara, 40 to 70 miles south. There are express commuter buses connecting the north and south county, however.

Ventura County (where I live) has implemented growth policies that limit sprawl. As a consequence the cities have a much higher focus on mixed-use growth, bicycle/pedestrian orientation and public transportation. From Ventura County you can easily work in LA or Santa Barbara and commute by train (LA) or express bus (SB & LA).

The greater Los Angeles area should not be overlooked, either. LA offers plenty of pockets of walkable, centrally located areas. The San Fernando Valley is hot during summer, so LA's west side might be better for you to investigate.

San Diego County has done a fabulous job of creating an environment conducive to getting around without a car, though some parts of SD can be expensive.

I'm less familiar with the CA north-coast, so I can't get into specifics. Generally speaking it's a cooler climate (even gloomy, i.e. Eureka), and unemployment is high. Hope this gives you a start.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 PM

144 posts, read 935,676 times
There are many ideal places for me in California.

Here's my list in order of preference:

1) Rancho Santa Fe
2) Santa Barbara/Montecito
3) Del Mar
4) La Jolla
5) Big Sur
6) Malibu
7) Monterey

Of course, those happen to be the most expensive places also. If I had to pick a general area with more affordable housing (kind of), I would choose northern San Diego county.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Yreka (pronounced why-reek-ah) is near the Oregon border and fits most of your criteria, but it would depend on your field of work as the career options are a bit limited there.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:10 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response. I guess my first criteria would be affordability, moderate traffic, and safety. I wouldn't like a blazing desert, but don't mind summer heat. What I'm getting at, is there any place in California left that is doable for a young family of four on one decent income. I'd like a yard for the kids, but would like to cut down on my dependence on the car.
Coolcats,
Wow, I wish ...I would be there. Sorry there is no Santa.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:01 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Does it exist anymore? I am interested in knowing if there is any place left in California that has affordable housing, a good job market, a good climate, reasonable traffic, and low crime.

I'll be graduating from grad school this spring and in the job market, and therefore am scoping out some Western locations to put down some roots.

I am currently in Palo Alto visiting my brother. The weather is great for outdoor stuff, but I just can't afford the $1.3 million 50 year old 3 bedroom houses. And don't get me started on the traffic.
LOL... you're literally down the road from me right now, so trust me - I know all about the traffic & housing costs! The problem with California, is that you can't get everything that you've listed... there has to be compromise on something, so you just need to figure out the first priority. For instance, if job market is most important, you'll need to put up with the costs of LA & SF or the hot weather of Sacramento. If weather and affordability comes first, you will end up in a rural area with fewer jobs. It's the old "you get what you pay for" and supply & demand. The Central Valley (Modesto up to Sacramento, approx) will have most of what you want, but it's REALLY hot in the summer & has some crime issues. It's also quite boring in most parts, and doesn't have much culture or scenery. You might find something good outside of Sacramento, maybe near El Dorado Hills, Folsom, or Auburn/Rockland (I-80 or 50). It's still not "cheap" around there, but definitely more affordable than the Bay Area and LA. Anyway, if you really want to live in California, make a list of "pros and cons" for each part of the state... or list your priorities, and figure things out from there. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:41 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,917 times
I think the major rub is the wanting affordable on one income combined with safety and moderate traffic. Like the other posters said you will probably have to compromise somewhere and decide what is most important to you if you want to live in California. That's why so many people are leaving California - because they don't want to have to compromise just so they can live here. Let's face it, that's what ALL Californians want.

You can definitely get safe - tons of places in California are still safe but they do come at a really high price. You have kids so I really wouldn't consider the LA area for many reasons but schools and safety are a couple. In California, moderate traffic doesn't really exist. The only way to avoid being stuck in a one hour + commute is if you live within 5 miles of your office/job. The usual problem there is that safe communities that are smaller with less traffic also mean your job probably won't be there.

If you can find a job in Ventura, Simi Valley, SLO, etc. then you are set. There ARE still affordable areas in California but they come with gangs, heavy heavy traffic and are pretty much inland. It really depends on what you can afford. If you can afford to buy a house for say... 500k - 700k you could definitely find something. That's considered affordable in Southern California at least. If you can't afford that much then you'll probably be renting or living in a less safe and more urban area or in the desert or a small town with nothing around it and mostly retirees who don't need a job nearby.

You have kids and you're young. I live in Simi Valley (Ventura County) and commute to LA for my job every day. It's not great and it really sucks the energy out of me. You won't have time or energy to spend with your family but hey... at least you'll be living in California! Simi is a great little town (small town feel) with all the amenities within 8 miles. Lots of bike lanes, sidewalks, bus routes that go all over the city etc. It's got everything you could ever want without having to leave the city except for jobs. Everyone commutes to get to their jobs. If you can find a job in Simi you're golden. Here we've got Borders, Wal Mart, Target, tons of little shops, tons of Vons, Albertson's, lots of automotive shops, car sales places, restaurants, fast food of every kind imaginable, Petsmart, Tanning, gyms you name it, Simi's got it. I like living here because I don't usually have to leave the town (although I really prefer to go elsewhere because I think Simi is kind of boring for a 25 y/o) but it's only 25 miles north of LA so I can drive into the LA area and do things there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California