Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 AM

14,356 posts, read 11,752,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
What I realized from finally actually looking at a map of California.... lol.... is that there is so much to see and the state is so darn huge. I’d rather not fight crowds, so that’s why I thought to skip Yosemite for some of the smaller parks, but after looking at pics from Yosemite, maybe we need to go there someday.
Yosemite and Sequoia National Park are popular for a reason; they're best of show. Go during the off season (i.e. not summer vacation, spring break, holiday weekends, etc.) and the crowds won't be too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,215,297 times
You should go to Yosemite in your lifetime. Having said that, if you want to see more than just nature, Big Basin is maybe an hour from San Jose airport and much of the drive is through redwood forest. There are other smaller parks nearby with big trees as well that are a bit easier to access (I'm thinking Henry Cowell park). You could even combine a day in the redwoods with a visit to Santa Cruz. Something to consider.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,664,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Fly into Fresno. Drive to Kings canyon and Sequoia National Parks. We saw the parks last year in November and they were incredible to see in person. Beautiful area and the trees are amazing!. You can stay in Fresno or Visalia or inside the parks if you prefer to camp. They may have cabins to rent, I'm not sure.
This. Although I love the coastal Redwoods parks, the Sequoias in Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP are amazing. And, usually, Sequoia/Kings Park seems a little less crowded to me than Yosemite or Redwoods NP.

There is lodging available in Sequoia NP and there's something to be said to waking up in the middle of the Sequoias. (We love staying at John Muir Lodge for this reason -- it's not fancy, but being able to walk to Grants Grove in minutes is always a treat).

Here's the link to the NP website with info on housing: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

And here's a nice video view of the General Sherman Tree, which is the largest in the world and in Sequoia NP: https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/a...228567464.html

But, really, you can't go wrong where ever you head! Don't worry about driving a couple of hours from the Bay area -- there is so much to see along the way in California, that getting there is half the fun.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:07 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,445,072 times
I think Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park is the best example of huge, beautiful redwoods. It’s not crowded, and you have the true redwood experience...massive redwoods, ferns on the ground, cool, misty air, banana slugs, creeks, absolute silence, easy walking trails, few tourists. The Lady Bird Johnson Grove is listed as one of the best redwood groves, and it is easy access. Part of the original Jurassic Park movie was shot in Fern Canyon there.

The park is 50 miles north of the town of Eureka. You could fly into the airport at nearby Arcata, rent a car and go. It wouldn’t be a budget flight, but this park would surpass your bucket list expectations.

California is huge, places like Yosemite, Sequoia, Muir Woods are always packed with tourists. See them on another trip. If you are obsessed with redwoods (I am), try this.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,520,140 times
Quote:
What I realized from finally actually looking at a map of California.... lol.... is that there is so much to see and the state is so darn huge. I’d rather not fight crowds, so that’s why I thought to skip Yosemite for some of the smaller parks, but after looking at pics from Yosemite, maybe we need to go there someday.

I lived 25 miles from Yosemite from age 14 to 30. I worked in the park for seven years. If you go during the work week and do it before Memorial Day Weekend you'll be fine. This year the waterfalls are going to be spectacular. Its a must see if you come to the Northern half of California.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:42 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,555,374 times
Really, there isn't anything that Yosemite offers that you can't get by driving up the Columbia River Gorge from Portland, OR. And there really isn't any comparable experience regarding giant redwoods than the coastal redwood parks. If you don't want to deal with crowds, your best bet is Jedediah state park.

The major con for going to Yosemite is the traffic and crowds. You can end up in Los Angeles traffic, in bumper to bumper traffic, just to end up with all of those people surrounding you on all of the trails where you are trying to enjoy nature. Does that sound like a great nature experience to you? If so, enjoy yourself.

If what you really care about is peaceful nature experiences, I highly recommend my previous suggestions.

I have one - and only one - memory of visiting Yosemite and I was a teenager, in the 1970's and even way back then it was like the SF Bay Area all decided to go see nature together. That might be what you are looking for. If not, keep it in mind. The same thing happens with Lake Tahoe, where the whole Bay Area (it seems) gets on the freeway at the same time to go enjoy nature all together and bring their traffic jam with them. Just keep that in mind, in case you care.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:37 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,520,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Really, there isn't anything that Yosemite offers that you can't get by driving up the Columbia River Gorge from Portland, OR.

That is just utterly ridiculous and wrong. I've been through the Columbia River Gorge and seen Multomah Falls several times. Its beautiful, but it doesn't compare to Yosemite, especially with the late spring snow melt in a year like this feeding the numerous waterfalls. Regardless, the OP said nothing about Oregon.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:57 AM

17,354 posts, read 11,319,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Fly into Fresno. Drive to Kings canyon and Sequoia National Parks. We saw the parks last year in November and they were incredible to see in person. Beautiful area and the trees are amazing!. You can stay in Fresno or Visalia or inside the parks if you prefer to camp. They may have cabins to rent, I'm not sure.
This is what I would do as well. Those parks are gorgeous IMO. Also, you'll be seeing the interior redwoods that grow in the Sierras rather than the coastal redwoods. They are different.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:12 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,562,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Really, there isn't anything that Yosemite offers that you can't get by driving up the Columbia River Gorge from Portland, OR. And there really isn't any comparable experience regarding giant redwoods than the coastal redwood parks. If you don't want to deal with crowds, your best bet is Jedediah state park.

The major con for going to Yosemite is the traffic and crowds. You can end up in Los Angeles traffic, in bumper to bumper traffic, just to end up with all of those people surrounding you on all of the trails where you are trying to enjoy nature. Does that sound like a great nature experience to you? If so, enjoy yourself.

If what you really care about is peaceful nature experiences, I highly recommend my previous suggestions.

I have one - and only one - memory of visiting Yosemite and I was a teenager, in the 1970's and even way back then it was like the SF Bay Area all decided to go see nature together. That might be what you are looking for. If not, keep it in mind. The same thing happens with Lake Tahoe, where the whole Bay Area (it seems) gets on the freeway at the same time to go enjoy nature all together and bring their traffic jam with them. Just keep that in mind, in case you care.
Tip: if you go midweek esp in Tahoe no traffic issues. Yosemite and Tahoe are in my “backyard”. Please note that Yosemite is huge and only the Valley is crowded. The Valley is much less than 1% of the 1,000,000 acre Park, yet theValley experience is worth it. Most of Yosemite is very empty. With that said, the redwood groves are not in the Valley

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-04-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,063,731 times
Quote:
You need to go to Yosemite in early spring or late winter before the real crowds show up. Even winter is now crowded in Yosemite, but that spring melt period is one you want to go.

Sierra Redwoods and Coast Redwoods are two different animals. Go see the Sierra Redwoods in Yosemite National Park and I would drive down to see the General Grant tree in Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP.

Do this in the early spring when the run-off is starting.

For the Coast Redwoods you can do it later....go in fall or spring and it will be uncrowded relative to the rest of California. That trip you can include Oregon coast and Crater Lake National Park as well as the Deschutes National Forest.

There is NOTHING in the world like a Sierra Redwood. That is my professional opinion as a Forester that has worked in both redwood regions and most of the American west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California