Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
All gas in California is pretty crappy. In the South you can find tons of stations offering 93 octane fuel, in SoCal I remember there being maybe a couple within a 50 mile radius.

Not to mention that the fuel is mixed to work with SULEV type vehicles, so the gas regularly causes knocking in non-SULEV type vehicles.
Plus mileage is worse which offsets the small amount of environmental benefit that exists between the CA formulations and that of the other States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,999,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Plus mileage is worse which offsets the small amount of environmental benefit that exists between the CA formulations and that of the other States.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:36 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,790,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Where did Arco get a reputation for crappy gas? I use Arco all the time.
Long standing reputation. I had my VW Westphalia camper serviced by an ol' master mechanic Yugoslav in Tujunga. He gave me a pretty good dressing down one day for using Arco gasoline. This was in the very late '80s.

On Gringo gouging when purchasing gasoline in Tijuana . . . the trick is to go through Tijuana to La Mesa and get your gas there. When I lived in Escondido, it was worth getting my fuel there at a peso a liter. I was able to drive 950 miles for $4.50. That was a long time ago.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-04-2019, 10:00 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,423,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post
Umm that's straight up false. BP owns ARCO, and ExxonMobil as the name suggests owns Mobil. Both companies obviously still have a heavy presence in CA.
Yeah, where did that claim come from? LOL

Old 02-17-2019, 05:45 PM

138 posts, read 118,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well. Just bought regular for 2.77 at Costco in my neighborhood. But several miles away near the freeways the price can be in the 3.90 range.
I've never seen Costco gas without a long line.

Best is to use GasBuddy and plan your trips.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah, where did that claim come from? LOL
I think when the stopped taking credit cards, cash only, some people did not like them and maybe said a lousy gas station, not lousy gas.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:22 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,322,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
It's a lot more than our crazy left wing governor, the whole damn state is crazy Communist. The last election every tax increase passed! I can't believe so many people could be so stupid.
As of June 15th based on current exchange rate prices in expensive parts of California San Francisco and parts of LA eclipses if not slightly higher than in Vancouver, BC when converted from liters to gallons. Vancouver BC is often known to have the most expensive gas stations in North America. But from time to time San Francisco and Beverly Hills will beat it on average. Of course talking about an average not the extremes as California has some ridiculous high prices on random gas stations. Therefore the most expensive gas stations on the continent is likely to be in California most all the time.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
As of June 15th based on current exchange rate prices in expensive parts of California San Francisco and parts of LA eclipses if not slightly higher than in Vancouver, BC when converted from liters to gallons. Vancouver BC is often known to have the most expensive gas stations in North America. But from time to time San Francisco and Beverly Hills will beat it on average. Of course talking about an average not the extremes as California has some ridiculous high prices on random gas stations. Therefore the most expensive gas stations on the continent is likely to be in California most all the time.
I am in SC right now and paid $2.35 right of the freeway. What is it in CA now?

Old 06-15-2019, 06:24 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,806,113 times
Quote:
$4 at some stations around Sacramento. The price over there is about 41% less. Congrats on being free from the financial shackle that is CA.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:00 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,322,774 times
Quote:
I am surprised. Though the last time I saw price under three dollars was in Arizona in May. A station in Bullhead, AZ. Was charging $2.70 for a gallon of gas. Though stations in neighboring Laughlin, NV were charging $3.58.

In California in SF some stations are charging $4.30 a gallon or more the cheapest is $3.96 some are charging just over $4
In Vancouver BC which often holds the title for most expensive gasoline in both Canada and many times all of North America due to all the progressive taxation there. the highest is about 1.45 CAD a liter which converts to about $4 a gallon using the most current exchange rates. The cheapest in the same metro area is 1.30CAD a liter or $3.63 USD a gallon. Therefore California still wins the medal for the most expensive gasoline on the continent.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 06-15-2019 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California