Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,508 times

Advertisements

Hello from PA. I will be relocating to the Santa Barbara area and am a little concerned about the gang behavior. Is it still as bad as it was in 2006?

I would like to find a live-in position with a local family where I could house-sit, cook, clean, and garden, etc. (when I'm not working my other job) in exhange for reduced or eliminated rent. At least for the first year while I'm getting on my feet.

I'm an honest person with references.

Does anyone know anyone reputible that might have a two bedroom apt./guest house in exchange for a hand around their home?

If not, could you give me some advice on how to find someone.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,054,320 times
You could probably put an ad on craigslist, but you're opening yourself up to who knows what kind of possible exploitation. And what the heck is the 'bad gang behavior' in Santa Barbara? I lived for years in Santa Barbara and never found there to be a significant problem. I still pass through every so often and don't see Santa Barbara as having a huge gang problem.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,919,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tltmk1 View Post
I will be relocating to the Santa Barbara area and am a little concerned about the gang behavior. Is it still as bad as it was in 2006?

I would like to find a live-in position with a local family where I could house-sit, cook, clean, and garden, etc. (when I'm not working my other job) in exhange for reduced or eliminated rent.
Sounds like gang problems will be the least of your problems.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM

572 posts, read 2,490,434 times
Gang problems in Santa Barbara? Not really gangs just a few trouble maker kids.
As far as finding a place and in return you do the odd jobs I dont think it is possible, there are so many flakes these days people just wont open up their house to a stranger maybe 20 years ago but not today. Good luck with it though!!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM

110 posts, read 753,803 times
The gang problem has grown in SB just as it has in many areas. Although it is not as bad as it is in the bigger cities, it seems to be escalating. It is mostly eastside vs westside so if you live or work elsewhere it may not affect you. Last year a child was killed by another child (both 13-14 years old) during the daytime on the dividing line between east & west- on State Street in front of Saks Fifth Ave.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,788,231 times
Yeah, there's a east and west gang thing. But I would say it's going down, but the homeless and gang problem in Santa Barbara is still a problem. It's an avoidable gang problem though, so move there! It's a good area.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,094,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yeah, there's a east and west gang thing. But I would say it's going down...
Wish it were so, but evidence doesn't support the notion that SB's gang problem is diminishing. In addition to SB's east- and west-side gangs, Goleta and Carpinteria have gangs as well. So, on SB County's south coast, be careful whom you ask, "where u from?" Kidding, it's not that bad for most people yet.

In all seriousness, I'm acquainted with one Carpinteria ex-gang member who now councils troubled youths in that city on how to avoid the "vida loca" that nearly got him killed, and did get several of his buddies killed. According to this young man, gangs have been a part of the area for quite some time.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-08-2008 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: ETA kidding

Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,540,235 times
In general the gang problem in most CA cities seems to be on the wane compared to the 90's. The whole "thug-life" hip-hop fad seems to have died for most kids as well and being a gangster is not as "cool" as it used to be. Also with most of the older guys locked up or with wives and kids it seems that outside of the barrios and LA most gang members are 13-15 year old kids. I would not be concerned about gang trouble in Santa Barbara unless you live in one of the very poorest neighborhoods of that city.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:16 AM

630 posts, read 1,297,566 times
wow all i have to say , being from the bay area is carp and sb are as damn close to "pleasantville" as you can get, im sure there are gang members that live here and there but if you are pretty aware of things you'll know there are gange members everywhere.

honestly i think its rediculous to see this area as a dangerous area, its about as cookie cutter as you can get, no offense.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 AM

14 posts, read 55,183 times
If you're looking for a live-in situation where you can exchange household chores or duties for reduced rent, you may want to contact the grad division of UCSB or even the student housing office. They may be able to help you with that. I'm not sure what your age range is, but when I was in grad school there, I knew students that lived in a situation similar to what you're describing. I think those opportunities are few and far between, but it's worth a shot.

As far as gang activity, I lived there half my life and never had a problem. I think it's like anywhere else - be aware of your surroundings and don't take your safety for granted (which is easy to do in SB, it's pretty idyllic, IMO).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California