Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
You might actually try reading the thread (which you clearly did not). Giving a poster advice on what to expect in court is not freaking out. People questioning his buying a luxury car then whining about the cost of a ticket is not freaking out. Seriously, you revived a thread for this nonsense? And then you try to justify it by stupidity like "it makes you more focused"...ROTFLMAO!

It is a driver's responsibility to "realize it" when they are driving triple digits. Stop with the nonsense!

It would be very naive indeed to believe a cop's word is not going to carry more weight than the OP's. In addition, you speak of "proof" and than have the audacity to accuse others of doing the same thing without any proof of your own....priceless. Nice dodge and deflect. Let us know when you have some proof of your accusation.

You claimed the flow of traffic was 90 mph on I-35 (then you switch to 80 in your next response...did you think no one noticed that?). I would also disagree with you on the 90mph claim and no, I don't need to have my speedometer fixed. Just because you've been tailgated by a fast car in no way proves your point. You apparently just like to sensationalize but can't back it up with anything.

Your comment about cell phone use is a non sequitur. We're not talking about that.

You might want to look up the meaning of wanton disregard. He most certainly can be cited for reckless driving. Please stop trying to give legal advice. You have no idea what you're talking about (but you clearly like to argue).
It's not Niave at all. A cop's word has just as much legal weight as a civilian unless there is evidence behind it. Clearly you did not understand the thread as throughout all 7 pages of this thread. There is no EVIDENCE anywhere that he was ever doing 100 MPH. A cop 'saw' him doing 100 MPH. That is not proof. A radar gun clocking is proof and the only CLOCKED speed was 88 MPH by the second cop. Everyone instantly assumed 'A cop said he was doing 100 MPH he's reckless!!!' Nothing confirms that the cop had any form of accuracy in that judgement.

Secondly. I said the flow of traffic AVERAGES 90 MPH and later I stated I've never been on I-35 where the general flow of traffic fell BELOW 80 MPH. Stop trying to make your point by rewording what I said to suite your case. There is nothing contradicting to that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
The thread that just won't die, kept alive by artificial respiration provided by blow-hards.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It's not Niave at all.
That is correct. What I said was you would have to be "naive" and that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
A cop's word has just as much legal weight as a civilian unless there is evidence behind it.
Nothing more needs to be said. You clearly believe a judge would take the OP's word over the officer's. There is your fantasy world and then there's reality. I'll rest my case right there.

I'm through with your nonsense now. Sorry Marco, but there are times when comments are just so outrageous (i.e. average flow of traffic at 90 mph on a freeway with speed limits of 70mph and 65mph), that they just need to be corrected. I would hate to have someone come to the Austin area and believe this gibberish. But I think most rational people would never believe that the flow of traffic would be 25 mph higher than the speed limit.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:03 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I think you should tell the judge just what you've said here.
You kept driving even though you were sleepy, you knew you were speeding but weren't paying enough attention to know how fast, and you're going to get a radar detector so you won't get caught again. So please, judge, go easy on me!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
The average person in this country doesn't have the driving skills, automotive equipment, or the attention span necessary to go above 60-65.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, considering the speed limits are 65-70mph on most of our roads - and if what you said was true, people would just be constantly crashing into each other. I personally haven't had any accidents in 25+ years of driving, mostly on high-speed California freeways. And while I'm probably a better-than-average driver, I don't think I'm that AMAZING or anything.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Correct on all counts and it is unfortunate that people make disingenuous claims like this. I doubt there's an interstate across the country where the traffic flow is 25 mph faster than the speed limit. That's just pure idiocy.
Of course, all he has to do to test his ridiculous claim is to drive 90mph (make sure to do it on the stretch where the speed limit drops to 65 for extra emphasis). Then when the officer pulls him over (which he will), he can go to court and tell the judge he thinks the officer was wrong in giving him the ticket because he was going the flow of traffic at the time. Let's see how that works out

Old 02-22-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, considering the speed limits are 65-70mph on most of our roads - and if what you said was true, people would just be constantly crashing into each other. I personally haven't had any accidents in 25+ years of driving, mostly on high-speed California freeways. And while I'm probably a better-than-average driver, I don't think I'm that AMAZING or anything.
Take a step back Gizmo and think about all the defensive driving you do on a daily basis (much of which, I'm guessing you don't even think about or realize you're doing any more). Can you honestly say there is even one day that you don't have to adjust because of others' bad driving habits (i.e. having to adjust your stopping distance because someone cut in front of you, speeding up or slowing down because someone insists on staying in your blind spot, adjusting to people not using turn signals, negotiating lane changes because people won't let you in, people entering your lane without looking back, etc.). Accidents don't tell the whole story. There are plenty of terrible drivers out there and plenty of inconsiderate ones also.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,017 times
Quote:
Take a step back Gizmo and think about all the defensive driving you do on a daily basis (much of which, I'm guessing you don't even think about or realize you're doing any more). Can you honestly say there is even one day that you don't have to adjust because of others' bad driving habits (i.e. having to adjust your stopping distance because someone cut in front of you, speeding up or slowing down because someone insists on staying in your blind spot, adjusting to people not using turn signals, negotiating lane changes because people won't let you in, people entering your lane without looking back, etc.). Accidents don't tell the whole story. There are plenty of terrible drivers out there and plenty of inconsiderate ones also.
I just got back from LA and I have to say everything you just stated I witnessed and more. I could not believe how bad the drivers were, it really stressed me out. I've seen bad drivers all over the country but not to this
degree. I drove for a week and never saw one person pulled over by the cops and mind you you I saw countless
cars doing 80 mph and above on a regular basis.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
That is correct. What I said was you would have to be "naive" and that you are.

Nothing more needs to be said. You clearly believe a judge would take the OP's word over the officer's. There is your fantasy world and then there's reality. I'll rest my case right there.
Um... No. It just means you have absolutely no clue how law really works.

I love how you call it nonsense as if you're some law practitioner and you don't even understand your own English.

Here is what you 'said'

Quote:
It would be very naive indeed to believe a cop's word is not going to carry more weight than the OP's. In addition, you speak of "proof" and than have the audacity to accuse others of doing the same thing without any proof of your own....priceless. Nice dodge and deflect. Let us know when you have some proof of your accusation.
And I stated, it wouldn't be Niave at all to believe that the cops word would carry more weight than the OP's WITHOUT EVIDENCE. A cop's word is literally just that. Unless he has proof of his claim (hence cops are required by law to keep body cams and dash cams for these reasons) ..If the claim is disputed and there is nothing to physically PROVE the crime has been committed, the case is generally thrown out of court. Never do you see in a Judges synopsis 'A cop saw him doing xyz' as PROOF of a crime.

A cop's WORD is weightless without evidence when pleading non guilty on any trial. Why do you think cases get thrown out of court? If he said I 'saw' him doing 100 MPH and you pleade non guilty and request Radar Proof and the cop shrugs his arms at that gesture... that's pretty much the end of the case. You cannot be charged without evidence and that doesn't go just for speeding and law practice in general.

Quote:
I'm through with your nonsense now.
Good riddens. To this point you have failed to make any logical statement to backup your claims. Or in essence, I have very little care in the world as to how an idiot may think of my 'nonsense'

Quote:
Sorry Marco, but there are times when comments are just so outrageous (i.e. average flow of traffic at 90 mph on a freeway with speed limits of 70mph and 65mph), that they just need to be corrected. I would hate to have someone come to the Austin area and believe this gibberish. But I think most rational people would never believe that the flow of traffic would be 25 mph higher than the speed limit.
Seriously? You're going to make this accusation and you dont even know the speed limit on I-35. It is 75 MPH for most of the way between Austin and DFW with 65 limits constrained to Temple and Waco.

And as for I-35:

85 MPH (10 MPH over the limit, speedometer occasionally seen at the bottom, the HUD shows the Speed Limit, not the vehicles speed) and barely passing traffic in the RIGHT lane, ontop of which not passing two cars in the center... and this was on a slow day:

https://youtu.be/TgOVgp4npg4
&
https://youtu.be/XE7a3TVG6ek

Between DFW and Austin any afternoon that traffic is fair with the exceptions of the lower speed zones within Temple and Waco. You will be hard pressed to keep it under 85. I have traveled that road about 20 times between may of last year to current and with the exception of Thanksgiving when it was a cluster****, drivers on that road are ruthlessly fast.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-24-2019 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: