Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:10 PM

114 posts, read 111,606 times

Advertisements

Of course they're telling everyone they'd need "real ID" to board a plane (forgetting to mention the passport and other options)...it's even being printed everywhere.
They're also tightening various things up under Real ID cover: for example, more returning of DMV mail by USPS even though address is valid, there're some new rules (I suspect this is what happened with my mysteriously "disappeared" license renewal letter sent to a perfectly valid address where I've been living for a while)
Had to go to DMV again only 2 days later (!): they messed things up, another employee lied to me about fixing a typo (I asked them twice)...they didn't... and 1st, called customer service and was told: "can't fix it over the phone because of Real ID/new rules".
Bunch of unaccountable actions by liars - no accountability or consequences - they'd have been pushed into their place by voters long ago but here people are willing to tolerate the abuse.
Last summer I spent 8 hours in the DMV in one day. It was hours of waiting just to get to the point where they assign you a number...then more hours for it to get called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 07:16 AM

26,758 posts, read 26,863,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Annual registration"? Do you mean registration renewal? Car tabs? Don't you just mail in a check when they tell you you're due, and they send you the stickers?
Exactly.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:24 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,353,132 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;54986602]"Annual registration"? Do you mean registration renewal? Car tabs? Don't you just mail in a check when they tell you you're due, and they send you the stickers?[/QUOTE

I pay my registration online.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
We have friends that live off grid out in the boonies in Northern California...

The new regs continue to be a problem for them as there mail is all General Delivery...

In other words the Post Office holds it for them until they come into town which averages every two weeks...

Regs require a street address and not even a PO box but what do you do when you are 9 miles out on a gravel trail that peters into nothing???

If DMV would accept coordinates I guess that would work and the Tax Assessor has no problem sending out the tax bill...

Problem is society has been ramping up rules and regs which is fine for those with conventional lives but increasing difficult for those with non conventional lives like working on a research vessel for a year in the Indian Ocean and all your belongings are in storage or living off grid or those seniors I know with a vagabond Motor Home life or sailing around the world for 5 years...

Old 04-20-2019, 10:34 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
We have friends that live off grid out in the boonies in Northern California...

The new regs continue to be a problem for them as there mail is all General Delivery...

In other words the Post Office holds it for them until they come into town which averages every two weeks...

Regs require a street address and not even a PO box but what do you do when you are 9 miles out on a gravel trail that peters into nothing???

If DMV would accept coordinates I guess that would work and the Tax Assessor has no problem sending out the tax bill...

Problem is society has been ramping up rules and regs which is fine for those with conventional lives but increasing difficult for those with non conventional lives like working on a research vessel for a year in the Indian Ocean and all your belongings are in storage or living off grid or those seniors I know with a vagabond Motor Home life or sailing around the world for 5 years...
Addresses are assigned even if they don't get mail delivered. It's critical for police and fire to have more than a description of where they are going. Each county in the US has a 911 addressing office.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 AM

Interesting you mention this...

Santa Cruz Mountains... time line 2015 and 7 miles on a dirt road to a old logging camp with about a dozen off grid homesteads deep in the redwoods...

A 911 call was made for a heart attack... 911 never did respond... as in never... they could not determine where to go...

Even being in the middle of nowhere they have landline phones put in back in the 70's as the last leg of a rural phone service... the best 911 could do was meet at the intersection of Highway 1 at Davenport... 7 miles away and only after numerous exchanges...

Dispatch was clueless, truly clueless...

After the incident a review was done and it was decided should this happen again callers would need to know their coordinates for the old Mill Site and life flight could land saying it was not feasible for home response.

Who knows if this will really work as it has not been tested... the few homesteaders are deep in State Lands surrounded by redwoods with the goal for State Park to take over all private holdings...

911 system failed miserably... the mail boxes are 7 miles from the small community... but they have landline telephone services...

As a side note... the road was a through road for over 100 years... but a couple of years ago the Big Basin State Park closed the portion that went through the park... as in removed the road totally... leaving only one way in and out...

In my own experience 911 gets it wrong...

Oakland California, urban setting and a 911 call goes in as a hang up/open line... police arrive and no one answers... the home they arrive is my rental and they kick in they kick in the door...

Turns out the phone line that made the call and the one having the problem was the adjoining single family home on the next street...

So what came in as 1398 Acacia was really the next street 1398 Walnut...

The irony is the city was not responsible... they told me to turn in into my Insurance... I have a $1000 Deductible and the new door/install was $650...

I made a formal claim and the city attorney denied it...

I submitted documentation where this was not the first time 911 records were not accurate and was told... yes it does happen.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-21-2019 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 08:07 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Interesting you mention this...
Santa Cruz Mountains... time line 2015 and 7 miles on a dirt road to a old logging camp with about a dozen off grid homesteads deep in the redwoods...
A 911 call was made for a heart attack... 911 never did respond... as in never... they could not determine where to go...
Even being in the middle of nowhere they have landline phones put in back in the 70's as the last leg of a rural phone service... the best 911 could do was meet at the intersection of Highway 1 at Davenport... 7 miles away and only after numerous exchanges...
Dispatch was clueless, truly clueless...
After the incident a review was done and it was decided should this happen again callers would need to know their coordinates for the old Mill Site and life flight could land saying it was not feasible for home response.
Who knows if this will really work as it has not been tested... the few homesteaders are deep in State Lands surrounded by redwoods with the goal for State Park to take over all private holdings...
911 system failed miserably... the mail boxes are 7 miles from the small community... but they have landline telephone services...
As a side note... the road was a through road for over 100 years... but a couple of years ago the Big Basin State Park closed the portion that went through the park... as in removed the road totally... leaving only one way in and out...
In my own experience 911 gets it wrong...
Oakland California, urban setting and a 911 call goes in as a hang up/open line... police arrive and no one answers... the home they arrive is my rental and they kick in they kick in the door...
Turns out the phone line that made the call and the one having the problem was the adjoining single family home on the next street...
So what came in as 1398 Acacia was really the next street 1398 Walnut...
The irony is the city was not responsible... they told me to turn in into my Insurance... I have a $1000 Deductible and the new door/install was $650...
I made a formal claim and the city attorney denied it...
I submitted documentation where this was not the first time 911 records were not accurate and was told... yes it does happen.
I have never heard of that happening except with VOIP phone providers. AT&T & Verizon landlines have always been the gold standard for 911 location information. It becomes more complex with VOIP and even more so for cell phones. There have been a lot of failures of VOIP to provide correct address information and everyone with a cellphone should confirm that the 911 address associated with your phone is correct, providers use billing address but if that is not your permanent physical address you should change it. It's used to confirm the exact address when you call 911 from home on a cellphone. Dispatch does not have access to your location, they have to get that information from the service provider who determines it by triangulation, which might show you a mile or two away from your home. If they have your home address and data shows you to be in the vicinity they will always go there first.

The incident you experienced in Oakland due to a 911 call to a landline or a cellphone? If it was a landline you need to go after AT&T to recover your money. They are the ones who provided the wrong address, not dispatch.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The incident you experienced in Oakland due to a 911 call to a landline or a cellphone? If it was a landline you need to go after AT&T to recover your money. They are the ones who provided the wrong address, not dispatch.
Lots of finger pointing and no one stepping up...

As the owner I had no choice but to effect repairs immediately...

As to OPD... there was a window next to the door... a double hung window 32 inches above floor height of the concrete porch... why would Police kick in a door when they could have broken the window that I can replace the glass for $30 in materials...

Had the Beat Sargent meet me at the home and was told entry is at the officers discretion and kicking in the door is safer than breaking a window and cost is not a factor???

Officer said there could have been a person unconscious on the floor inside so they must gain entry by any means necessary...

Plenty of examples of human error when it comes to 911

Here is one where the dispatcher had the correct information but provided the wrong information to responders...

https://www.necn.com/news/national-i...338510872.html

Old 04-21-2019, 02:25 PM

130,545 posts, read 12,143,244 times
Hubby went to the DMV in Willows, he was in out in less than 30 minutes, this was for a driving licence thing, we do car registrations with AAA. I have my passport, so I probably won't bother with real id.

illows,

Old 04-21-2019, 06:58 PM

Good to know not all the offices are chaos...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California