Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Retirees have been going there, though: McKinleyville, Trinidad, a few to Arcata and Ferndale. Possibly for the lower COL, compared to farther south. Though retirees alone won't bring about a rebound, you're right, there.
The biggest problem with retirees relocating is decent medical facilities. Not to mention a small town or a few small towns that end up with more retirees than families and young people can't exist without younger families to support the economy. Seniors are not known for spending a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 04:11 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Default "Humboldt hack" and winter climate in Eureka area

Is the "Humboldt Hack" similar to the "Seattle crud"?
(I haven't heard the term before.... but I haven't lived on the North Coast.)

Old 05-09-2019, 04:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The biggest problem with retirees relocating is decent medical facilities. Not to mention a small town or a few small towns that end up with more retirees than families and young people can't exist without younger families to support the economy. Seniors are not known for spending a lot of money.
Definitely, on all points. Is the hospital in Arcata really as bad as the reviews say? It seems to depend on whose shift you find yourself on, if you need emergency services. IDK about non-emergency surgeons. I did find a really good thyroid doctor there, though.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would say it might be a combination of both. We lived in Eureka just a little over a year many years ago Hubby had job with a timber company that no longer has a plant in Eureka. We didn't feel the pinch of the economic climate as he was middle/upper management but it still was very much apparent and that was when things were better than they are now. It was the beginning of the "don't cut down trees" era. Add that to the miserable weather and we couldn't wait to move back to civilization. Later we found out how much our kids also hated living there. It was sad in a way as the area was pretty and we had some fun times but the negatives, for us out weighed the positives . When the hottest day of the year barely reached 80 degrees it was way to cold and gloomy for us. The positive was we could go camping just about an hour away and warm up some in the summer and the wild black berries were everywhere.
We grew up along the coast and also raised our kids in Monterey. So we're used it barely getting to 80 and actually like that climate including the foggy, damp weather when it comes. However, I find that Eureka area one of the only truly depressing beach towns along the entire west coast. It's gloominess goes beyond simply the weather and really has more to do with the overall environment and depressed cultural vibe. Drive north or south and it's just looks and feels nicer. For example, once one crosses into Oregon, Brookings, Bandon, etc... all are pleasant little beach communities to visit even if equally isolated. But Eureka simply isn't.

While I don't think I'd want to live anywhere that isolated with no real industry besides weed, I would pick southern Oregon if I had to pick. I would imagine limited medical care and quality is a similar issue along that entire stretch of coast.

Derek

Old 05-09-2019, 07:30 PM

86 posts, read 266,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Is the "Humboldt Hack" similar to the "Seattle crud"?
(I haven't heard the term before.... but I haven't lived on the North Coast.)

Yep, and commonly referred to in conversation as "the crud", as in, "I've got the crud". I was never sure what to attribute it to. The housing in Arcata/Eureka area is generally nasty and full of mold, mildew, etc. which a lot of people point the finger at. Others who live in actual habitable housing who still get the crud say it's more of a combo of moist and cool air and lack of sun. Even different doctors I would talk to had their own ideas. Guess it's probably a mix of everything.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Just to chime in on retirees possibly moving to Eureka, just on the housing side of things - if they need affordable housing, forget it. There isn't any. I thoroughly checked it out when I was looking for affordable senior housing.

And housing is in short supply anyway and not cheap, due in large part to student demand for housing for Humboldt State University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California