Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:25 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times

Advertisements

Bear Valley Springs is the place to go or Stallion Springs right near Tehachapi. Our friends are looking at home to buy in Bear Valley. Both are in their early 60's. They found the house they like. My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving to that area when he retires in about 6 yrs.

They are moving from Harbor City, CA ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:27 PM

I'd love to live up there because it is not far from Ridgecrest which is where my sister often travels to from Big Pine, CA to do shopping. Really hoping we can think about this. My husband is a Tug Captain/Crew Chief and ties up the ships off of El Segundo for Chevron Oil. Is the hospital pretty nice up there?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 PM

New Hospital

New Adventist Health Tehachapi Valley hospital now slated for fall opening | News | tehachapinews.com

Old 06-12-2018, 08:58 AM

234 posts, read 303,618 times
Yes, once it finally opens, the hospital is going to be very nice. It will help promote more growth for the area as well.

People are a little annoyed with the situation because it should have been open a year ago. But it finally looks like they are getting close, equipment being moved in, certified for partial occupancy etc...

Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 PM

27 posts, read 37,776 times
I am considering moving to Tehachapi. Specifically to Bear Valley Springs because I love high elevation and snow but not Tahoe amounts.

I live in Nevada County now and the housing market is out of my reach but I can find lots of nice 3/2 in BVS for under 250K.

However, I am worried about missing the amenities that come with Nor Cal sensibility - organic foods and restaurants, practically, year-long framers markets and year-long CSA's. Lots of local grass bed beef and other humanely raised and slaughtered animal products.

There are also tons of spiritual community choices in addition to Christianity. But in Tehachapi, all I have found are Christian churches.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:50 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Tehachapi is a hidden gem, a bit isolated for my taste but great place to retire. I'm a train freak so I would spend most of my days at the Loop. Hwy 58 isn't a good highway for trips for having so many big rigs and curves especially west of Tehachapi. Hwy 58 is a major commerce corridor for trucking. Most trucks use 58 to avoid the LA Basin for commerce traveling from northern California to points east along the southern half of the U.S.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Small update on the Wal-Mart construction:

https://goo.gl/images/FB6rKi

Currently pouring concrete, due to open summer of 2019.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Tehachapi is a hidden gem, a bit isolated for my taste but great place to retire. I'm a train freak so I would spend most of my days at the Loop. Hwy 58 isn't a good highway for trips for having so many big rigs and curves especially west of Tehachapi. Hwy 58 is a major commerce corridor for trucking. Most trucks use 58 to avoid the LA Basin for commerce traveling from northern California to points east along the southern half of the U.S.

58 on the west side of Tehachapi is definitely a pain in the ass. 58 on the east side is pretty much a walk in the park though.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:26 PM

27 posts, read 37,776 times
58 west goes where? Does it get backed up, as in traffic? Or just not fun to drive bc of big rigs and curves? thanks!

Old 10-05-2018, 01:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFonte View Post
58 west goes where? Does it get backed up, as in traffic? Or just not fun to drive bc of big rigs and curves? thanks!
Bakersfield. I've never been on it when it was backed up and I drive that route a lot. Lots of trucks and changes in elevation. Plus those people who just can't resist weaving in and out of the slower traffic. You know.

I think 58 east of Tehachapi is worse, particularly approaching Kramer Junction. Looks like they're building a bypass, though. Sure hope it's done soon.

I still miss the Apple Shed. Used to be a favorite stop in Tehachapi for pie or a treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California