Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 02:57 AM

216 posts, read 128,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Anybody claiming San Marino high school has fallen completely behind is so far out of whack its hard to comprehend what's going on in their mind. If youre blue blooded family money, you don't care anyway as you can do private. Obviously San Marino isn't an athletic powerhouse due to demographics (which I suspect has something to do with your anger).

If you want athletics, my nearest high school has drawn some of the top athletes in the nation lately (as in ranked #1). Funny they dont seem to seek out Dallas as a superior option. Maybe because they don't value 2% property taxes on a piece of junk in Plano the most important thing. I'm sure a magnet school does well there but when we looked at it, it was far inferior to what we found here. But my standards are higher than most so only top 5% nationally ranked schools work for me.

But really, my purpose for joining this thread is to point out the stupidity of raising taxes on republican voters and being surprised they voted out the republicans in their districts instead of making them blame their unchanged state taxes.
Yeah I would say about 1/4 of my class came from San Marino and chose to shell out an additional (present day dollars) 32,000 a year per kid. These families aren't moving to Texas. I literally know 0 kids in my graduating HS class that moved to Texas. After going to elite colleges they all stayed in SoCal or moved to the following places:
Portland, Seattle, Bay Area, NY, DC, Boston, Chicago, Denver. You would have to kill me before I moved to a city in Texas.

My wife would probably double her salary and (as Bolanders has pointed out ad infinitum) we could get some mcmansions for a million bucks if we moved to Dallas. However, then I would have to live in Texas and deal with people like Bolanders every day. Just shoot me now.

Last edited by OC4life; 01-11-2020 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 06:11 AM

26,760 posts, read 26,863,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViFitzgerald View Post
Most Middle income families I know are going to have $75 to $120 worth of food on their table per month due to the tax cut. For many, that's a BFD. Feel free to continue to try and convince people that the alternative would be better and I'll say good luck on selling that bill of goods. No need to waste any more or time on this...
"For Laurice Strickland, a 64-year-old technical writer from Mission Viejo, the SALT deduction was really all she could claim to improve her tax situation as a single mom of grown children. With the new cap, Strickland said she lost out on $7,000 in SALT deductions this year, prompting her to take out a loan to help pay her youngest son’s college tuition.

“We shouldn’t be penalized for living in a high cost state,” she said.

Brooke Leys-Campeau, a high school teacher who lives with her husband and children in Tustin, said, “We're paying more in taxes and there are people that don’t need the tax break that are getting the biggest benefit.”

The irony of the fact that she’s now turning to a Democratic congresswoman in Orange County for relief from a GOP bill that increased her taxes and “exploded” the national debt isn’t lost on Leys-Campeau."

Trump’s tax cut turns politics on its head in Southern California:
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/05/0...rn-california/

Old 01-11-2020, 06:23 AM

456 posts, read 240,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Anybody claiming San Marino high school has fallen completely behind is so far out of whack its hard to comprehend what's going on in their mind. If youre blue blooded family money, you don't care anyway as you can do private. Obviously San Marino isn't an athletic powerhouse due to demographics (which I suspect has something to do with your anger).

If you want athletics, my nearest high school has drawn some of the top athletes in the nation lately (as in ranked #1). Funny they dont seem to seek out Dallas as a superior option. Maybe because they don't value 2% property taxes on a piece of junk in Plano the most important thing. I'm sure a magnet school does well there but when we looked at it, it was far inferior to what we found here. But my standards are higher than most so only top 5% nationally ranked schools work for me.

But really, my purpose for joining this thread is to point out the stupidity of raising taxes on republican voters and being surprised they voted out the republicans in their districts instead of making them blame their unchanged state taxes.
1). They are out of whack when you see what the schools we have here are like when compared With similar demographics. Again your comparison is other CA schools. Mine are far broader

2). The school and city we are in now are
Demographically higher than San Marino (significantly higher median income) and not only are we a local powerhouse in athletics we are a state and NATIONAL powerhouse so that point is proven wrong

3). Name the school that is near you that is this powerhouse. We both know you won't because it will prove you made it up.

4). Our school is ranked top 5 nationally. There are only 5 schools in Southern CA ranked higher and what hurts us is diversity which I could not care less about. Take Diversity out and you have maybe 1-2 ranked higher.

Pretty much every point proven wrong. Try again. I love how you won’t answer any questions. Shows you are so far in over your head.

Last edited by Bolanders; 01-11-2020 at 06:49 AM..

Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You see this as personal, it's not. The tax laws have an effect on ALL 50 states. Not just California.
But this thread is about its impact in California, not the other 49 states.

"The research paper, authored by economists at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta and academics from University of California, Berkeley and Boston University, ranked all fifty states and the District of Columbia in terms of how much wealth local households stand to gain from the income tax cuts in the new tax law.

Their analysis found that California came in dead last in terms of the lifetime benefits the state’s households will receive from the tax law, assuming the personal income tax provisions are made permanent (under the existing law, they are set to expire in 2025)."

Capitol Alert - Californians benefit the least from Trump’s 2017 tax cuts, new report finds:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...229585994.html

Old 01-11-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But this thread is about its impact in California, not the other 49 states.

"The research paper, authored by economists at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta and academics from University of California, Berkeley and Boston University, ranked all fifty states and the District of Columbia in terms of how much wealth local households stand to gain from the income tax cuts in the new tax law.

Their analysis found that California came in dead last in terms of the lifetime benefits the state’s households will receive from the tax law, assuming the personal income tax provisions are made permanent (under the existing law, they are set to expire in 2025)."

Capitol Alert - Californians benefit the least from Trump’s 2017 tax cuts, new report finds:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...229585994.html
The fact of the matter is the impact is minimal

There are 2 sets of people for this example. There is all the federal tax payers as 1 set. There are CA residents as the second set.

As I pointed out and of course most of you avoid is that if somehow this new tax law was passed and it took away your state income tax, halved your energy costs, reduced your property tax liability by half, and lowered your gas taxes, etc by at least half then this new tax policy would be welcomed by most of you with open arms.

This federal tax policy positively affected 80%+ (if not 90%+) of people who it impacts.

Your CA tax system negatively impacts 80%+ (if not 90%+) of the people it impacts.

Your state is the problem, not the new federal tax policy.

It is like you have a hole in your boat the size of the car and someone comes along and creates a new hole with their finger. Sure that tiny little hole impacts the boat, but it is minimal compared to the hole the size of the car.

It has already been proven that states can function and prosper with low taxes on gas, etc, low energy costs, no state income tax and so on. Your state is just so poorly run and your citizens so stupid and clueless they keep voting the same dolts in who keep raising taxes on them. Even better than Houdini they then blame minor federal changes as the problem and you all fall for it hook line and sinker.

it is why I left. I was a CA snob with the best of them and then I saw what else was out there. This thread is a perfect example. You have people who have no experience and have never seen schools I reference yet they insist on the CA school being better. I have specific actual experience in both and it isn't close, yet they keep their head in the sand and insist their way is the best. It's why most of them are broke and are complaining that this new federal tax law is the problem.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:52 AM

21,759 posts, read 16,382,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViFitzgerald View Post
Nope, not doubling down at all on that (try reading the response). That would be the benefit to my family from not having Dems in office and adjusting down the estate exemption.

Most Middle income families I know are going to have $75 to $120 worth of food on their table per month due to the tax cut. For many, that's a BFD. Feel free to continue to try and convince people that the alternative would be better and I'll say good luck on selling that bill of goods. No need to waste any more or time on this or listen to a lot of propaganda that uses estimates that extend beyond the time the tax law expires.
Yeah, I read your response ... you tried to skim past my correction of your $250,000 claim. It was obvious you were trying to correlate your personal, anecdotal claim of savings - and then associate it for the average joe. Thanks for clearing that up.

And now I’ll re-establish: what you claim for your anonymous self is meaningless on a forum, except as color commentary IF you can tie it to broader data.

And that goes for such generalized, anecdotal statements such as: “most families I know”. That anecdotal “$75-$120 worth of food on their table per month” doesn’t fly without data either. Especially when you anecdotally and anonymously present yourself in this forum as a wealthy person - for whom $100 a month of food extra on the table is money you could sneeze for entertainment a day. Champion of the poor all of a sudden, eh? Lol.

Bottom line at this point goes back to taking a throat lozenge for temporary relief of lung cancer cough while continuing to smoke. These “tax breaks” aren’t breaks for anyone but the top earners. The rest of the nation continues to fall to oligarchical oppression. It’s 100% bullsh*t.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah, I read your response ... you tried to skim past my correction of your $250,000 claim. It was obvious you were trying to correlate your personal, anecdotal claim of savings - and then associate it for the average joe. Thanks for clearing that up.

And now I’ll re-establish: what you claim for your anonymous self is meaningless on a forum, except as color commentary IF you can tie it to broader data.

And that goes for such generalized, anecdotal statements such as: “most families I know”. That anecdotal “$75-$120 worth of food on their table per month” doesn’t fly without data either. Especially when you anecdotally and anonymously present yourself in this forum as a wealthy person - for whom $100 a month of food extra on the table is money you could sneeze for entertainment a day. Champion of the poor all of a sudden, eh? Lol.

Bottom line at this point goes back to taking a throat lozenge for temporary relief of lung cancer cough while continuing to smoke. These “tax breaks” aren’t breaks for anyone but the top earners. The rest of the nation continues to fall to oligarchical oppression. It’s 100% bullsh*t.
Please explain how they are not breaks for a married couple who makes $75,000 or $100,000 or $150,000 to start, especially with the standard deduction going up and the child tax credit going up

Income Tax Rate Income Tax Rate Income for Those Filing As: Income for Those Filing As:
2017 2018-2025 Single Married-Joint
10% 10% $0-$9,525 $0-$19,050
15% 12% $9,525-$38,700 $19,050-$77,400
25% 22% $38,700-$82,500 $77,400-$165,000
28% 24% $82,500-$157,500 $165,000-$315,000
33% 32% $157,500-$200,000 $315,000-$400,000
33%-35% 35% $200,000-$500,000 $400,000-$600,000
39.6% 37% $500,000+ $600,000+

Old 01-11-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
There are 2 sets of people for this example. There is all the federal tax payers as 1 set. There are CA residents as the second set.
There are 2 sets of people: Californians who filed income taxes before this tax reform was passed, and Californians who filed income taxes after it was passed. On this thread, we're not discussing the impact of this tax reform on the rest of the country.

You're obviously choosing to ignore any examples posted about Californians who were negatively affected by this tax reform.

Quote:
It has already been proven that states can function and prosper with low taxes on gas, etc, low energy costs, no state income tax and so on.
Not a state with nearly 40 million people.

Quote:
Your state is just so poorly run and your citizens so stupid and clueless
......it is why I left. I was a CA snob with the best of them and then I saw what else was out there. This thread is a perfect example. You have people who have no experience and have never seen schools I reference yet they insist on the CA school being better. I have specific actual experience in both and it isn't close
You keep talking about high ranking athletics and the fact that the school you attended in California had a gym that wasn't recently updated and didn't have enough applicants for the drill team. Come on.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:19 AM

21,759 posts, read 16,382,430 times
Quote:
Please explain how they are not breaks for a married couple who makes $75,000 or $100,000 or $150,000 to start, especially with the standard deduction going up and the child tax credit going up

Income Tax Rate Income Tax Rate Income for Those Filing As: Income for Those Filing As:
2017 2018-2025 Single Married-Joint
10% 10% $0-$9,525 $0-$19,050
15% 12% $9,525-$38,700 $19,050-$77,400
25% 22% $38,700-$82,500 $77,400-$165,000
28% 24% $82,500-$157,500 $165,000-$315,000
33% 32% $157,500-$200,000 $315,000-$400,000
33%-35% 35% $200,000-$500,000 $400,000-$600,000
39.6% 37% $500,000+ $600,000+
I didn’t say they weren’t ... in the short term. I said the “breaks” contribute to long-term destruction of our democracy by further burdening our national debt - thus feeding oligarchy. And that true conservatives wouldn’t try to frame this nonsense as a break for the common man ... because it isn’t. Intelligent conservative capitalists know better than to kill the consumers they thrive on - which is what occurs through schemes that feed extremes of wealth disparity.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There are 2 sets of people: Californians who filed income taxes before this tax reform was passed, and Californians who filed income taxes after it was passed. We are not discussing the impact of this tax reform on the rest of the country on this thread.

You're obviously choosing to ignore any examples posted about Californians who were negatively affected by this tax reform.

Not a state with nearly 40 million people.

You keep talking about high ranking athletics and the fact that the school you attended in California had a gym that wasn't recently updated and didn't have enough applicants for the drill team. Come on.
I will readily acknowledge that any policy will negatively affect a subset of people. Any of those people affected are far more negatively affected by state policy over federal policy. Solve your bigger problem and the smaller problem has minimal impact.

29 Million vs 40 million. Again a difference, but not the issue. If you had 29 million your state would have the same issues with incompetent leadership. Hell I would argue they would raise taxes more to overcompensate for the lower amount of people.You try to find an excuse to give them a pass.

No I pointed out a many things some of which were(and I'll add even more): Classrooms, desks, lockers, facilities, athletics, band, drama, journalism, robotics, gyms, weight rooms, computer facilities, resources, transportation, space, parent participation, marketing, opportunities, cafeterias, clubs and participation and promotion of those clubs, are all far superior.

Of course you can try to downplay it and say it is a gym if that makes you feel better about the lack of overall quality in the school systems there. I give them that they have kept up the academic side of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California