Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 AM

146 posts, read 141,529 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip to CA and OR visiting 10 parks or so and came across this pass, but don't seem to find the list of parks they include, only a list where you buy the pass, can I just assume, where I can buy it I can use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM

8,450 posts, read 7,771,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
Planning a trip to CA and OR visiting 10 parks or so and came across this pass, but don't seem to find the list of parks they include, only a list where you buy the pass, can I just assume, where I can buy it I can use it?
You can find a list of places to buy the National Parks pass on the National Parks Service website here: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

The main reason to buy the National Parks pass is if you think you will visit enough National parks and National monuments to cover the annual fee, which is $80. If you're only going to one or two National Parks, it may be less expensive to just pay the daily fee.

You can find a list of the National Parks and National Monuments in both states on the links below -- click on the name of the park/monument to go to the website for that park, and then look for "plan your visit". That will give you information about the entrance fee for the individual park or monument.

Here is the list of National Parks and Monuments in California: https://www.nps.gov/state/ca/index.htm

Here is the list for Oregon:
https://www.nps.gov/state/or/index.htm

You can't use the National Parks pass for State Parks in either Oregon or California (or Washington if you're heading that way).

You can buy a separate state parks pass in both states (although some state parks, like the wonderful Anza Borrego in Southern California don't charge fees for access).

Here is some information about the state parks in both California and Oregon:

California State Parks: https://www.parks.ca.gov/

Oregon State Parks: Oregon State Parks and Recreation

Keep in mind that both state and national parks may have extra fees for camping and other activities that won't be covered by the entrance passes.

And, if you're doing a California/Oregon road trip, these two sites are essential reads.

Road Trips | Visit California

Oregon's Most Beautiful Drives & Day Trips | Travel Oregon

Once you plot out your trip, and figure out what you plan to see and do, you'll have a better idea of whether buying the passes (National, State) makes sense or not.

There is a lot of beautiful scenery in both states that is absolutely free!

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-20-2017 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,647,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
Anything Federal. Parks, monuments and recreation areas are free! National forest fees 50% off!

I have one. Did a trip two years ago thru seven national parks. Just flashed my pass and was waved thru with a smile.

And the pass is good for life (if yer over 62). A year if under 62. Worth the price. Basically four visits pays for the pass.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Also: Not all National Monuments and BLM lands charge an entrance fee. Pay attention to any additional fees that aren't covered by the pass. For instance, admission is free to Alcatraz National Monument, but you still have to pay for the Ferry ride -- the pass does not cover that.

You may want to also factor in the likelihood that you'll want to visit some National Parks/Monuments closer to home.

One other tip: if you're a Member of AAA (Triple A) or AARP, a lot of attractions in California give discounts. So, if you are, always ask about that.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 AM

146 posts, read 141,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
You can find a list of places to buy the National Parks pass on the National Parks Service website here: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
that was the page I was looking at, just the wording
FEDERAL RECREATION AREAS WHERE INTERAGENCY PASSES ARE ISSUED
confused me.

Right now I'm thinking about
Sequoia
Yosemite
Lake Tahoe
Lassen Volcanic
Crater Lake
Mt Hood
Mt Rainier
Olympic
Cannon Beach
Thor's Well
Glass Beach

not sure how much I can actually fit into a 2 week trip, but that will be decided once I'm there.

Thanks for all the info, that was very helpful!

Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM

What time of year are you planning to visit? Where do you plan to start and end your trip?

Seeing everything on your list will be ambitious for a two week trip. For instance, Olympic National Park is huge and very spread out, so typically, it takes at least a couple of nights if you want to see the "main" attractions. Yosemite and Sequoia can also take several days to explore. And, drive times between these places are more time consuming than you might expect. It's possible to spend a full week just exploring the Oregon Coast or the California coast, especially if you like to hike or do outdoorsy things. I've done that several times and still have things on my list for my next visit.

That said, if all you want to do is just drive through and not spend much time in each place, you certainly can manage to squeeze most of this in. It's just that you'll miss a lot of what these amazing places have to offer if you're just breezing through.

So, you probably need to set some priorities about what are your "must sees" and how much time they require to be experienced fully. Perhaps do some additional research on what each location offers, drive times between and INTO and AROUND these parks (google maps usually doesn't include that), and what you want to see and do in each place. The individual websites for each national park are incredibly helpful.

Just a thought, but since many of the places you've listed are in Oregon and Washington, you might want to skip California this time around and just focus on the Pacific Northwest, which is awesome!

Or, focus just on Northern California and add in things like Big Sur, Redwoods National Park, Death Valley (depending on when you'll be visiting), Shasta, San Francisco, Napa, and maybe parts of the southern Oregon Coast.

Getting back to the National Parks pass. If you're planning to visit at least three National Parks on your trip and can use the pass closer to home in the next year, then I would say definitely get the pass. It will make your life a little easier, and you can buy it when you arrive at your first National Park.

Some of the places you've listed do NOT require or accept National Parks passes. For instance, the beach in Cannon Beach is free; there is a nearby state park, Ecola, which is great, that has a state park fee.

You can drive through Mt. Hood without paying any fee (there's a day use fee if you'll be hiking). There's a beautiful driving loop that you can take from Portland through the Columbia River Gorge (highly recommended) and then up to Mount Hood and back to Portland. Most of the amazing waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge can be accessed for free (although there are some fees for state parks in the area) and there are other interesting things to see and do along this loop.
Don't miss this loop if you'll be in Oregon, and allow a full day for it. This gives you a rough map: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5227071.pdf And, you can read about the loop here: http://www.denverpost.com/2011/07/01...ighway-oregon/

In Lake Tahoe, many of the state parks around the lake have state park entrance fees; you won't be able to use the national parks pass for those. Glass Beach in California is a state park as well.

Also, you can see Thor's Well from a turnout on the highway (What Is Thor’s Well And Where Can I See It? | Travel Oregon) Cape Perpetua is beautiful -- but so is most of the Oregon Coast.

Again, these two websites are invaluable in planning roadtrips in California and Oregon. The California one gives very detailed information on how much time to allow for different road trips. On the Oregon site, you can ask questions and Oregon experts will respond. If you haven't already looked through these guides, I highly recommend them!

California road trips visitor's guide: Road Trips | Visit California

Oregon: Travel Oregon | From Mt Hood to the Oregon Coast, Explore Oregon

And here's one for Washington: Official Washington State Visitors' Guide | experiencewa.com

Also, TripAdvisor.com has great forums where you can ask about your planned itinerary and get feedback and suggestions from locals and people who have already visited.

Finally, even if you don't get to tick off everything on your list, you'll have a great time. And, you can always come back to see more! The west coast has a way of pulling you back. Enjoy!

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-22-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 03:16 PM

Here is a bit more information on the Columbia River Gorge to Mount Hood loop:

Columbia River Gorge Travel Planner

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...nd_Oregon.html

Old 06-22-2017, 03:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,930,688 times
Our national parks, monuments and forests are so amazing. I buy a pass every year even though many times it does not pencil out for us. I look at it as my annual donation to our parks just like the annual Sierra Club membership.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,763,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Anything Federal. Parks, monuments and recreation areas are free! National forest fees 50% off!

I have one. Did a trip two years ago thru seven national parks. Just flashed my pass and was waved thru with a smile.

And the pass is good for life (if yer over 62). A year if under 62. Worth the price. Basically four visits pays for the pass.
National Recreation Areas are not necessarily free with an America the Beautiful inter-agency annual pass -- the regular one.

I received no discount this year at Imperial Sand Dunes Recreational Area with my pass. It cost me $50.

However, at Yosemite NP, Cabrillo National Monument, etc. you just get waved through with that pass like you mentioned.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:07 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,758,113 times
What's the point of the annual pass? I already pay for those parks with my tax dollars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California