Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:06 PM

79 posts, read 193,162 times

Advertisements

I move to Alabama state from California 6 months back and registered my vehicle in Alabama then. My California vehicle tag expired in December 2016. The CA DMV sent a renewal letter with late fees to my old California address where I don't live anymore. Do I need to let DMV know about my out of state move? Also, do they refund the 6 months amount as I was already out of CA 6 months before my tag expiration date?

If there is any email address I can use to contact them that would be great as calling them is pain always.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 07:59 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,517,371 times
when i left CA, i received nasty grams from the CA dmv for 3 years. i tried being nice, mailed the notice back with a note that i had moved & registered my vehicle elsewhere. it didn't stop them. i just ignored them & went on about my life. as long as your vehicle is registered & insured in your new state, ignore the notices.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
when i left CA, i received nasty grams from the CA dmv for 3 years. i tried being nice, mailed the notice back with a note that i had moved & registered my vehicle elsewhere. it didn't stop them. i just ignored them & went on about my life. as long as your vehicle is registered & insured in your new state, ignore the notices.
Thank you. I don't have the notice with me as it was mailed to my old address where one of my friend told me about it. I will call them and let them know about it. Calling them is a task in itself as they rarely pick up the phone.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
heck we received notices and phone calls from NM about voting for the candidate of our Party's choice (state candidates) for 8 years. Finally I think they might realize we no longer live there; we didn't get any phone calls or campaign info in the mail this past year

Old 01-29-2017, 11:39 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Tauson_Sr View Post
Thank you. I don't have the notice with me as it was mailed to my old address where one of my friend told me about it. I will call them and let them know about it. Calling them is a task in itself as they rarely pick up the phone.
If you haven't notified the DMV that you moved, they'd have no way to know that information. Since the California DMV turns delinquent registration over to collection services, ignoring it is probably not the best way to go. They can't close out a registration record with just a phone call (sadly, people lie.)

Easiest way:

Make a photocopy of your Alabama title or registration. Include it, with a note saying you've re-titled in Alabama and want your California record closed, and mail it to the California DMV.

Yes, I know. Envelope. Stamp. But it will end the process and stop your next post talking about you just got a lien on your bank account.

From their website:

Vehicle Registration Operations
Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

Old 01-29-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
If you haven't notified the DMV that you moved, they'd have no way to know that information. Since the California DMV turns delinquent registration over to collection services, ignoring it is probably not the best way to go. They can't close out a registration record with just a phone call (sadly, people lie.)

Easiest way:

Make a photocopy of your Alabama title or registration. Include it, with a note saying you've re-titled in Alabama and want your California record closed, and mail it to the California DMV.

Yes, I know. Envelope. Stamp. But it will end the process and stop your next post talking about you just got a lien on your bank account.

From their website:

Vehicle Registration Operations
Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

Thanks very much for your answer. Although you have explained it very nicely, could you tell me if there are any specific instructions mentioned on their website to do the same?

I see just list of addresses on this section of their website:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...tacts/contacts

Also, do you think it's a good idea to inform them about change of address as well, just in case they ignore my mail in future and decide to keep on sending notice, I would still be able to get the notice at my Alabama address instead of relying on my friends living at old mailing address?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
Yes, you can also do a change of address online.

I realize that the information is not on the DMV website--I don't know why. However, if you were to call DMV and wait to speak to someone, they would be telling you to fax a copy of your registration to them to accomplish the same thing. The difference would be--the total wait time before someone answers, and the hope that the technician actually receives the fax and it doesn't get picked up by someone else and never handled.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Yes, you can also do a change of address online.

I realize that the information is not on the DMV website--I don't know why. However, if you were to call DMV and wait to speak to someone, they would be telling you to fax a copy of your registration to them to accomplish the same thing. The difference would be--the total wait time before someone answers, and the hope that the technician actually receives the fax and it doesn't get picked up by someone else and never handled.
Thanks again. I changed the address online. I will call them and send the registration copy as soon as possible.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 AM

Just to let everyone know what to do in this situation. I called the DMV, California and they told me to mail the following two forms along with the copy of my registration of another state.

1) Statement of Fact REG256

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...3-a8564fa552c0

2) Change of Address form DMV 14

Address :

DMV Registration
PO Box 942869
Sacremento, CA, 94269

Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Tauson_Sr View Post
Just to let everyone know what to do in this situation. I called the DMV, California and they told me to mail the following two forms along with the copy of my registration of another state.

1) Statement of Fact REG256

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...3-a8564fa552c0

2) Change of Address form DMV 14

Address :

DMV Registration
PO Box 942869
Sacremento, CA, 94269
I believe Section G is the one where I will have to write the details, right? Forgot to ask DMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: