Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:14 PM

36,684 posts, read 67,677,487 times

Advertisements

Most of the country already claims to hate us, so why stay where we're not wanted?

California is the high tech capital of the world, is one of the world's top entertainment and media capitals, a major focal point in the global financial markets, the state grows half the nation's produce, is the biggest donor state to the federal pot( CA puts in more than it gets back) and California has the world's 6th largest economy and poised to surpass the UK and become the world's 5th largest economy.

All of that has me beginning to wonder. Maybe Trump's victory out of state is waking us up to the reality that we no longer belong.

Who knows? We shall see...

#CalExit: Topic of California seceding from the nation takes over social media | The Sacramento Bee

Old 11-09-2016, 01:19 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,885,256 times
Good deal can you take Texas with you on your way out?

Old 11-09-2016, 01:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 967,396 times
Sore losers...I live in California and supported Trump. I made sure he won. I have an idea, why don't all of you move to Mexico? Set up shop there...I'm serious. It's beautiful there...Or, since Hillary loved Saudi Arabia and Iran - how about you guys move there??? Quit being babies just because you did not get your way.

What makes you think all Californian's voted for Hillary? The people I know - did not.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,331,026 times
If California leaves the rest of the country we will get over it. Feel free to follow governor moonbeam and leave.

BTW the IT business is slowly leaving and manufacturing has almost abandoned the state because of the severe water shortage. There's no signs it will get any better. The movie industry shoots an ever increasing number of movies outside of California because of the cheaper taxes in other areas. There was a time when all movies were made in California.

Have you ever wondered why Texas and Colorado have started to swing liberal over the last 10 years? The reason why is white flight out of California and they have taken their money and their businesses with them.

There are no signs that it will get any better there.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:54 PM

406 posts, read 349,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Most of the country already claims to hate us, so why stay where we're not wanted?

California is the high tech capital of the world, is one of the world's top entertainment and media capitals, a major focal point in the global financial markets, the state grows half the nation's produce, is the biggest donor state to the federal pot( CA puts in more than it gets back) and California has the world's 6th largest economy and poised to surpass the UK and become the world's 5th largest economy.

All of that has me beginning to wonder. Maybe Trump's victory out of state is waking us up to the reality that we no longer belong.

#CalExit: Topic of California seceding from the nation takes over social media | The Sacramento Bee
This is just as stupid as the morons in Texas.

No.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,260,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Good deal can you take Texas with you on your way out?

That would defeat the point of secession, wouldn't it?

Old 11-09-2016, 02:04 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,546,979 times
I would point out that trying it didn't work out well for the last bunch that tried to do that.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:23 PM

21,795 posts, read 16,459,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
If California leaves the rest of the country we will get over it. Feel free to follow governor moonbeam and leave.

BTW the IT business is slowly leaving and manufacturing has almost abandoned the state because of the severe water shortage. There's no signs it will get any better. The movie industry shoots an ever increasing number of movies outside of California because of the cheaper taxes in other areas. There was a time when all movies were made in California.

Have you ever wondered why Texas and Colorado have started to swing liberal over the last 10 years? The reason why is white flight out of California and they have taken their money and their businesses with them.

There are no signs that it will get any better there.
Without supporting or condemning the OP topic itself, um, I'd point out that your Nebraska perspective is short of accurate information. For example, though manufacturing is down in California,

- we still lead the nation in manufacturing output

- water shortages can be dealt with several ways - IF they continue (your "no signs" goes both ways)

- California's film industry is historic and valuable ... and not even in the top 10 state GDP producers (while manufacturing is): California's Economy: The 9 Industries Driving GDP Growth | Investopedia

- if you want to argue "white flight" you should provide data to back up your assumption (you won't find any)

- if you want to argue that money and businesses are being taken out of California at any rate different than those factors move around any states, again you should provide data to support (again, you won't find any higher rates of loss for California) ... in fact, the state economy continues to out grow the nation and most of the world

- Texas and Colorado have been swinging liberal because they are developing and that's what happens to developing societies all around the world.

Meanwhile, I actually find Nebraska nice, in a quaint sort of way. No salt water, unfortunately though.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:25 PM

102,270 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Not for long. CA won't be able to make it on its own as the water shortage worsens. Other states will have to take up the slack as CA crops fail, and the state may end up receiving federal aid to adjust to water scarcity. California's time to secede and really make a go of it has passed.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:31 PM

21,795 posts, read 16,459,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not for long. CA won't be able to make it on its own as the water shortage worsens. Other states will have to take up the slack as CA crops fail, and the state may end up receiving federal aid to adjust to water scarcity. California's time to secede and really make a go of it has passed.
Not suggesting it should or shouldn't, but, I disagree. Agriculture in California is only about 3% of GDP. It's my favorite 3%, but still. Water can be dealt with a number of ways better than now. Sorry, but at 39 million population and the world's 6th best economy (vying for 5th place now), it is waaay ahead of most nations in the world to stand on its own. Again, I don't prefer or advocate for that. Just sayin. Toss in Washington and Oregon for a nation called Pacifica and it's a 'contenda'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California